"RideKC Next" transit system redesign

Transportation topics in KC
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Re: "RideKC Next" transit system redesign

Post by beautyfromashes »

flyingember wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:22 am
beautyfromashes wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:10 pm I guess if that’s a bad take, count me on the wrong side too. Why should we all be paying to expand Northland bus transit when they haven’t paid one penny for the streetcar?
Other than NKC voting yes for rail way back in 2009, you mean.
NKC seems to be a bright spot in the Northland. I’m hopeful that using them as a success story in the future with connection to streetcar and smart development will change the game for other Northland cities. I wouldn’t say this hope is super strong, but I’m still hopeful.
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

beautyfromashes wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:39 am
flyingember wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:22 am
beautyfromashes wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:10 pm I guess if that’s a bad take, count me on the wrong side too. Why should we all be paying to expand Northland bus transit when they haven’t paid one penny for the streetcar?
Other than NKC voting yes for rail way back in 2009, you mean.
NKC seems to be a bright spot in the Northland. I’m hopeful that using them as a success story in the future with connection to streetcar and smart development will change the game for other Northland cities. I wouldn’t say this hope is super strong, but I’m still hopeful.
Gladstone has been really developing their downtown area. Beyond Gladstone, only BRT/Rail would only need to run in KCMO to get to Kci any number of routes. I wouldn't hold out hope for Liberty, Parkville or any of the other smaller towns to have any sort of incentive. County wide transit funding is still the best hope to improve the bus and run rail North.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

The following changes have been made recently to the plan based on public feedback:

- 201 North Oak and 229 Boardwalk/KCI service will extend to midnight on all days.
- 25 Troost and 71 Prospect will continue with hourly service on all days on the original alignment and terminate at East Village.
- 535 Shoal Creek-Liberty Express and 570 Blue Springs Express (story below) will return in October with two peak-hour round trips Mon-Fri.

https://www.examiner.net/story/news/loc ... 319135001/
SilentSpades24
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by SilentSpades24 »

I have to say, I'm rather shocked to see the 25 & 71 be kept around, while other services still lack in frequency and service span.

Also, in regards to the 107, is service to Mission Transit Center no more on that route?
SilentSpades24
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by SilentSpades24 »

So RideKC Next has been pushed back to "sometime in 2022" following a bus driver hiring campaign.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

SilentSpades24 wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 8:14 am So RideKC Next has been pushed back to "sometime in 2022" following a bus driver hiring campaign.
Yes. Attrition rate picked up considerably this year, on top of COVID cases/quarantines.
SilentSpades24
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by SilentSpades24 »

So question, for service Van Brunt with RideKC Next; Why was the #11 routed down there and not some iteration of the #21, which serves close to Van Brunt, and extends to NKC and down to Swope Health, Sunfresh, etc? Seems like a good opportunity to connect the far East-side to some important services down along Brush Creek and Swope Pkwy.

Reason for asking is because our senior studio at UMKC has been studying the Dunbar neighborhood and this observation came up in analysis of current and future transit in and around the neighborhood.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

SilentSpades24 wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 5:45 pm So question, for service Van Brunt with RideKC Next; Why was the #11 routed down there and not some iteration of the #21, which serves close to Van Brunt, and extends to NKC and down to Swope Health, Sunfresh, etc? Seems like a good opportunity to connect the far East-side to some important services down along Brush Creek and Swope Pkwy.

Reason for asking is because our senior studio at UMKC has been studying the Dunbar neighborhood and this observation came up in analysis of current and future transit in and around the neighborhood.
21 was in the original draft Next plan, but KCMO budget realities forced a reduction in that plan and the critical coverage pieces of 21 were moved to a modified 18 (which also assumed some of the 75). 299 Gladstone Flex will cover the Northland portion of 21. Everyone can't have front door service given the funding situation, so Dunbar residents will need to walk to the "long trips" for 39 that run on Cleaver/Hardesty and terminate at 31st & Van Brunt for regional connections.

https://ridekc.org/bulletins/ridekc-next-update
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

First phase of RideKC Next will now implement in April using the level of service in place today, which will primarily impact the "frequent grid" goal. As staffing levels improve, frequency will be boosted across the system throughout 2022 in additional phases (July, October, and January 2023).

The main benefit now is more timed transfers and more common connection points, which will help reduce wait times when transferring between routes that aren't frequent. Very few timed transfers in the system today.

Work is also being coordinated with the Johnson County expansion, which will also be phased in to allow time to improve staffing levels.

https://ridekc.org/bulletins/ridekc-next-april
SilentSpades24
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by SilentSpades24 »

Horray!! Great to see, glad you guys are finally able to make it happen to an extent. Excited to try the new system out.

I am curious though with KCK service. I see that the 104, 106, 107 are bumping up weekday frequency to 30 minutes. While that matches the goals of RideKC Next to get a faster more frequent grid, was adding Sunday service and earlier / later trips to meet the KCMO service spans considered, rather than the frequency?

Either way, this is still a win for those that need the service the most in KCK and KCMO.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Good suggestion about more Sunday service in KCK! Before Wichita added Sunday service, the State Avenue route was the only Sunday transit in the entire state of Kansas.
SilentSpades24
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by SilentSpades24 »

DaveKCMO wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 8:54 pm Good suggestion about more Sunday service in KCK! Before Wichita added Sunday service, the State Avenue route was the only Sunday transit in the entire state of Kansas.
Crazy to think until 2008, you couldn't get a bus in Kansas. We've come a long way.

But yeah, I was curious if the increased frequencies rather than expanding earlier / later and to Sunday was just determined to be more beneficial and if so, how that came to be, or if there were other hurdles (such as staffing, or contracts with the UG) (if you can share that obviously).

Also correct me if I'm wrong, but this would just be on weekdays right? The posting seemed a bit vague on that.

Either way though, it's good to finally see it come to fruition and I tip my hat off to all of you for making things work.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Weekend service increases are based on years of ridership trends. Weekday ridership has eroded more than weekend, despite weekend service being dramatically lower. Time to flatten the schedules.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I just wish the cross route drivers on less frequent routes would wait for the approaching connecting bus to stop and disembark passengers. I don't know how many times I've been on the 24 bus, and the 11 bus whizzes past from its' stop right as the 24 is stopping. In the evening and on weekends, it means it will be an hour before the next 11 bus, and waiting outside with no shelter in the winter cold is not pleasant.

The 11 bus stop at Woodland and Independence heading east also should be moved, and it should use the eastbound 24 stop. The stops are just a short distance apart, and the 11 bus could easily see the 24 bus approaching. It would also allow 11 riders to use the 24 bus shelter on Independence. The 11 bus turns onto Independence between Woodland and Maple anyway.

I don't expect all bus drivers to do this on frequent routes, but it seems sometimes some drivers delight in doing this. It's things like this that discourage me from taking the bus. I've seen other 24 passengers standing on the corner waiting for the light to change waving at the 11 bus on Woodland as it's approaching to make the turn, and it just keeps going. Don't they want passengers?

It just seems like drivers should also be able to communicate between buses too, or have some way of knowing that the connecting bus is approaching.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Thanks for the feedback. Will look at ways to reinforce the official timed connections in April with bus operators. It will be a culture shift, for sure.

Communication between drivers would be pretty chaotic. Right now, only dispatchers send and receive all messages to drivers so crosstalk is minimal and drivers stay focused on driving safely and customer service.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Dave, I don't know if this is useful information or not. But it seems to me that the women bus drivers are much more thoughtful about such things like I mentioned. For example, more likely to wait for waving passengers or people obviously running to catch their bus; more likely to allow passengers to sit down before lurching forward suddenly, etc. I don't know how many times I've seen people with bags in both hands almost fall on their face because the driver lurches forward before they are sitting. One can't reach out to stabilize oneself as the bus moves, and it's often hard to balance when carrying things. The women drivers seem much more "passenger situation aware" than the male drivers. I don't know if this can be addressed in training.

Not all riders are work commuters. On the 24 route, there are a good percentage of riders that do their shopping, and the bus is their transportation. There are several food markets along Independence Avenue as well as drug stores.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

DYK the majority of KCATA bus drivers are women? It's true!

The 24 became one our "grocery routes" during the pandemic. A handful of routes (31, 47, 101) maintained most of their ridership and it was apparent that it was due to the stops near grocery stores.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

One of the advantages of having a streetcar along Independence Avenue would be grocery shoppers with handcarts. It's hard for people to pull them up the steps. and then disembark with them. Especially old people.

The streetcar would provide level boarding and disembarking.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

FangKC wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 4:01 pm One of the advantages of having a streetcar along Independence Avenue would be grocery shoppers with handcarts. It's hard for people to pull them up the steps. and then disembark with them. Especially old people.

The streetcar would provide level boarding and disembarking.
The next BRT line can and will provide level boarding, as was done at select high-ridership stops on Prospect MAX.
SilentSpades24
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by SilentSpades24 »

It appears RideKC Next has been delayed.......again.

This time. May 1.