OFFICIAL - New KCI Terminal

Transportation topics in KC
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: We are getting a new airport!!!

Post by normalthings »

I believe American had interest in a lounge pre-corona.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

herrfrank wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:08 pm KC's first European long-haul flight would likely be LHR London Heathrow on BA (perhaps codeshare with AA). MCI Kansas City was rumored to be in the next few US cities for LHR nonstop service until the COVID calamity. AA has recently moved to LHR Terminal 5, so connections between the US and BA's European, Asian, and African destinations won't require a terminal change.

One barrier to entry for any nonstop Euro service (whether BA or a DL codeshare to AMS or CDG) would be a lounge. Business class tickets underwrite long-haul services, and these customers expect a departures lounge that is at least as nice as an Admirals Club. DL and AA both closed their MCI lounges in the past years, but I would suspect that one or both will open a lounge at the new terminal. Kansas City bounced between being a DL and AA city for a long time, and now is really a Southwest (WN) city.

Obviously, none of this expansion happens until the airlines are back at 2019 levels, which will probably be after the new MCI terminal opens.
The popular rumor I heard on a lounge is a generic (PriorityPass) one that could be shared by multiple airlines like a BA. There was space for 2 lounges overall in the plans (3 if you count USO).
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

herrfrank wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:08 pm Obviously, none of this expansion happens until the airlines are back at 2019 levels, which will probably be after the new MCI terminal opens.
And we clearly know it wasn't planned that way, but I bet the airlines are enthusiastic that the new terminal isn't opening in 2021. The amount of people involved in a switch would neither be affordable or safe right now. The last thing we need is an airline that thinking about new service to KC having a bad experience with a move.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

KCPowercat wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:17 pm
herrfrank wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:08 pm KC's first European long-haul flight would likely be LHR London Heathrow on BA (perhaps codeshare with AA). MCI Kansas City was rumored to be in the next few US cities for LHR nonstop service until the COVID calamity. AA has recently moved to LHR Terminal 5, so connections between the US and BA's European, Asian, and African destinations won't require a terminal change.

One barrier to entry for any nonstop Euro service (whether BA or a DL codeshare to AMS or CDG) would be a lounge. Business class tickets underwrite long-haul services, and these customers expect a departures lounge that is at least as nice as an Admirals Club. DL and AA both closed their MCI lounges in the past years, but I would suspect that one or both will open a lounge at the new terminal. Kansas City bounced between being a DL and AA city for a long time, and now is really a Southwest (WN) city.

Obviously, none of this expansion happens until the airlines are back at 2019 levels, which will probably be after the new MCI terminal opens.
The popular rumor I heard on a lounge is a generic (PriorityPass) one that could be shared by multiple airlines like a BA. There was space for 2 lounges overall in the plans (3 if you count USO).
There is a third location next to AA.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Well you have more details than I. I have no idea where physically AA will be nor where all 3 of the spaces are, I've just studied the stuff they had on the permit and paid attention to what they said in council meetings.
herrfrank
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by herrfrank »

normalthings wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:42 pm
KCPowercat wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:17 pm The popular rumor I heard on a lounge is a generic (PriorityPass) one that could be shared by multiple airlines like a BA. There was space for 2 lounges overall in the plans (3 if you count USO).
The agent who used to man the front desk at the "gate 80" Admirals Club until 2013 (the space was empty for two years, then demolished in the rebuild of the AA departures area) still works at MCI for American Airlines. Although I haven't seen him in a while, I did chat with him while he was doing the gate agency for a DFW flight back in March.

He thinks that AA has requested space for an Admirals Club in the new terminal. There has been an AA club at MCI since the 1970s, until these last few years where they couldn't fit one alongside the new security apparatus and their need for seven active gates. (And returning to the mezzanine, where the Admirals Club existed for decades in Terminal A, is not acceptable to AA -- since September 11, they want all their departure clubs on the secure side).

But all things might change as we emerge from the virus-induced travel reductions.
herrfrank
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by herrfrank »

^ Adding for clarity...

BA habitually uses AA clubs (they are the OneWorld alliance keystone airlines) at other US airports. This is a strong indicator for MCI-LHR on BA, and also why AA doesn't close clubs at nonhub airports where BA operates a long-haul London flight (EWR, DEN, TPA). But where BA has no flight (BDL, SJU), AA will consider closing the club for economic reasons.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

herrfrank wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:01 pm
normalthings wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:42 pm
KCPowercat wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:17 pm The popular rumor I heard on a lounge is a generic (PriorityPass) one that could be shared by multiple airlines like a BA. There was space for 2 lounges overall in the plans (3 if you count USO).
The agent who used to man the front desk at the "gate 80" Admirals Club until 2013 (the space was empty for two years, then demolished in the rebuild of the AA departures area) still works at MCI for American Airlines. Although I haven't seen him in a while, I did chat with him while he was doing the gate agency for a DFW flight back in March.

He thinks that AA has requested space for an Admirals Club in the new terminal. There has been an AA club at MCI since the 1970s, until these last few years where they couldn't fit one alongside the new security apparatus and their need for seven active gates. (And returning to the mezzanine, where the Admirals Club existed for decades in Terminal A, is not acceptable to AA -- since September 11, they want all their departure clubs on the secure side).

But all things might change as we emerge from the virus-induced travel reductions.
All/almost all of our peers have an AA and DAL lounge.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

I'm a little confused. Not separating USO or group clubs or private airline clubs,

How many clubs can the new terminal fit?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

WoodDraw wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:46 pm I'm a little confused. Not separating USO or group clubs or private airline clubs,

How many clubs can the new terminal fit?
USO - 1
Group or Airline: 2-3.

2 officially above each retail node. The AA wing has a low roof that could potentially support the third space. IIRC, only a USO has been announced due to budgetary reasons.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Can the important people say hey American we'll help you with that private club if you come back with an Atlantic route?

I don't know how blatant this stuff gets.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Yeah AA is my preferred club.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

WoodDraw wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:00 pm Can the important people say hey American we'll help you with that private club if you come back with an Atlantic route?

I don't know how blatant this stuff gets.
The airlines are paying for the new terminal. The only way that could have happened is if local businesses covered the cost.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Where is the american gates going to be? I thought this airport was going to be built gate agnostic?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

KCPowercat wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:52 pm Where is the american gates going to be? I thought this airport was going to be built gate agnostic?
Northeast wing.
horizons82
New York Life
New York Life

Post by horizons82 »

If you look at plans submitted to the city there’s hints as to who will use what gates. Or at least Southwest vs non-SW gates. For SW, because of their unassigned boarding, they require more open space. At those gates you’ll find a bunch of little boxes on the ground.

It would appear the general move is for current terminal B occupants to go to the future concourse B and current terminal C occupants to concourse A.
swid
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by swid »

I really hope there's a pattern in the new terminal that becomes so beloved that I'll be able to buy a toilet cover with that pattern on it in 2040 or so.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Really wanted more details released by now. Us travelers who are grounded need some pretty pictures or cool detail updates.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

are there any live construction cams?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

They shut down access due to security concerns. Idiotic.