OFFICIAL - New KCI Terminal

Transportation topics in KC
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: We are getting a new airport!!!

Post by normalthings »

normalthings wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:53 pm Image
Nothing like spring flowers and heavy demolition equipment.
Per twitter: Excavators started going to work outside the terminal and airplane side construction barriers are up.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

KCPowercat wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:21 pm We also don't have the airlines desire to make anything super nice for their customers (and hence spend the $$$) as nobody uses us for a hub.

I really did like the roof, sad to see it go. Since the roof went away though I've finally for the first time ever started looking up at other airport roofs. All pretty meh. I'm over it.
At least we aren't getting this ceiling system. @flystl.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Low and ugly. Agreed
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Parking Structure is on its way down
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Last edited by normalthings on Wed May 08, 2019 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

*BOING*
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Not a bad view. Not close enough for detail but the project won’t grow out of view like with the hotel camera
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Last edited by normalthings on Wed May 08, 2019 9:40 am, edited 8 times in total.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

I know we've been hard on this project, but easily the one I'm most excited for to start showing.

Just so when friends come to visit I can point and be like we're fixing it, I swear. There's proof.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

WoodDraw wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 11:00 pm I know we've been hard on this project, but easily the one I'm most excited for to start showing.
We give it tough love.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

KCPowercat wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 8:41 pm*BOING*
I agree.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

I've heard that KCI makes significantly more money from parking than they do from actually leasing airport space to airlines
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Parking is so fucking hard. The only solution is gradually increase the cost, but then we have to tax Uber and Lyft too eventually.

I'm very happy I'm not on that team and I get too just complain on a message board.

We all have to make sure they have real transit to downtown though and don't prioritize parking above quick downtown access to an inconvenient airport.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I wonder how parking income % compares to other airports? I'm sure it's higher.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

normalthings wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 10:56 pm
flyingember wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 9:37 pm Not a bad view. Not close enough for detail but the project won’t grow out of view like with the hotel camera
This project will takeup almost the entire current view. I think the work will extend off camera to the left.

Looks like the old airport was built for Disney.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

KCPowercat wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 6:41 am I wonder how parking income % compares to other airports? I'm sure it's higher.
Parking at KCI makes ~50% more than landing fees and airline leases. Airports such as STL don’t own much of their parking and miss out on the revenue.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Yeah I figured it was more. I just wonder actual % what our take is compared to our peer airports. Definite risk to consider.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

normalthings wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 7:58 am
KCPowercat wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 6:41 am I wonder how parking income % compares to other airports? I'm sure it's higher.
Parking at KCI makes ~50% more than landing fees and airline leases. Airports such as STL don’t own much of their parking and miss out on the revenue.
KCI owns both the short term and long term parking. Most airports I've dealt with are surrounded by large amounts of private long term parking lots with shuttles to the airport. That is certainly the case in Houston. Is there any private long term parking outside of KCI? And don't remember any and I don't know why anyone would use it as it would be further away and I've always thought the long term parking at KCI was reasonably priced.
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

The Parking Spot at the entrance to the airport property off 29 and Park Air Express a couple of thousand feet south of the airport entrance on the west of 29 are both private. Some hotels allow travelers to leave their cars on the premises while traveling. Those are all I know of.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

missingkc wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 4:41 pm The Parking Spot at the entrance to the airport property off 29 and Park Air Express a couple of thousand feet south of the airport entrance on the west of 29 are both private. Some hotels allow travelers to leave their cars on the premises while traveling. Those are all I know of.
Park Air Express is public. KCMO owns the structures/land. Private firms are brought in to run the operations for a small % cut. (SP Parking) The airport Marriot and airport Phillips 66 offer parking. They too operate on behalf of the city for a fee.

The Spot is currently the only private parking (only) option. A new parking lot is being built in the farm fields surrounding the old WireCo building. IMHO, I don’t think their set up will pan out.
Last edited by normalthings on Sat May 04, 2019 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.