OFFICIAL - New KCI Terminal

Transportation topics in KC
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Re: OFFICIAL - New KCI Terminal

Post by KCPowercat »

Early on I was disappointed in no skywalk. It definitely would have been nice but yes this is not a problem anywhere in the world and will not be here.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

KCPowercat wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:52 am Shockingly Loar again caught up in a conflict. Why does she keep getting elected?
No one ran against her in 2018
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

flyingember wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:11 am
KCPowercat wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:52 am Shockingly Loar again caught up in a conflict. Why does she keep getting elected?
I’m to the point that I’ll move to her district so let to run against her :lol:
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:17 am
The council has consecutive term limits. She has to take an election off before she could run again. Thus, she can't run in 2022 but could run in 2026.
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:17 am
Please do
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I mean I know the answer to my own question. Nobody runs against her because everyone knows she'a a labor puppet and they will throw all kinds of money to defeat anybody running against her to protect their interest. She's not a ignorant ditz that she plays at council.
herrfrank
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by herrfrank »

I spent a few hours at the remodeled LaGuardia airport last Friday. It is going to be a spectacular airport, particularly considering it's domestic only.

The terminal B headhouse (former central terminal) is complete, and one of its two concourses is also complete. The remaining western concourse will open in November, followed by demolition of what remains of the old central terminal and AA concourse, then an additional arm built on that site to complete the western concourse.

The Delta terminal C headhouse will also open soon. Terminal A (the Marine Air Terminal) has remained open throughout.

There will be at least five lounges (AA, AC, UA, DL and Amex), all fairly grand. The concourses start tall then flow into lower "stub ends", descending 40 feet from the terminal bridge (allowing aircraft to taxi in the inside loop as well as on the runway side), but the entire terminal is elevated far above the old grade, so it's not more escalators than before, just higher distances.

Tons of restaurants and shops along the concourse connector (the elevated, curved part behind security) -- very bright with natural light. The old central terminal was shiny stainless steel and dark marble, which had a kind of antique discotheque feel -- except one where the ceilings leaked and with a lot of taxi drivers milling around. This upgraded facility is an enormous improvement.

I hope KC can replicate LGA's wow factor.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I flew out of LaGuardia a lot when I lived in NYC. I never minded the terminals per se. The thing that annoyed me was that there was no train line that reached the terminals. It appears that will be rectified by 2025.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

normalthings wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:14 am Have there been any accidents at current KCI that you can remember? No

Does anyone use the current below ground tube? Not many
The vast majority of travelers at current KCI don't cross tons of lanes of traffic.. They step onto a curb. The remainder mostly use garage to terminal tunnels.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

im2kull wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:35 pm
normalthings wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:14 am Have there been any accidents at current KCI that you can remember? No

Does anyone use the current below ground tube? Not many
The vast majority of travelers at current KCI don't cross tons of lanes of traffic.. They step onto a curb. The remainder mostly use garage to terminal tunnels.
Except you don’t just step onto a curb, there’s barriers all along the middle to block it being this simple.

A few years back I was there for pick up and vehicles were double parked for much of B at the SW luggage exit. I found a family with children was trapped walking in the street. I purposefully stopped next to double parked drop offs and stopped all traffic to let them get out of the street, which luckily was quick.

It’s not how many lanes, it’s that the crossings aren’t positioned where you exit the terminal. If someone is parked on top of the crosswalk (stupidly common) it creates a bad situation where you could be crossing where there’s a barrier on the inner ring for rental car pickup.

Was just in Portland, it’s wider than KCs whole loop for each level. The doors we exited lined up with the crosswalk which lined up directly with the rental car area entrance. Vs KC where the doors don’t line up with the crossings. When the garages were built straight paths weren’t important.

That’s what we’re gaining, a design that doesn’t rely on people needing to figure if they turn left or right to be able to cross. They just cross where the gaps are in the garage wall.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Current traffic in the parking tunnels is not as high as everyone seems to think. Traffic in a potential new terminal tunnel would also have been low
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

FangKC wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:39 pm I flew out of LaGuardia a lot when I lived in NYC. I never minded the terminals per se. The thing that annoyed me was that there was no train line that reached the terminals. It appears that will be rectified by 2025.
New airtrain line probably won't be any more convenient from many locations but will be a good option. Lots of debate over its path but as with any new line, it will benefit some but not most. May not benefit Manhattan much, I think they'd have to transfer at Willets Point/Queens, direct bus probably faster for many. Can't avoid controversy.

I use LGA every time when staying at brother's place in Brooklyn. If not using Uber or if cab lines too long, to Williamsburg I take short bus to Roosevelt Ave station then subway - not too inconvenient. Like the LGA upgrades bigly. It was a minimal barely functional airport before and more convenient than JFK/Newark for my visits but now it's nice enough to hang out in.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

The Airtrain to Willets Point does seem a strange route. I never understood why they didn't extend the N line through Astoria, Queens, to the airport back in the late 30s when LGA was built and there was WPA money available.

It wasn't as much of an issue coming back to NYC, but taking buses when trying to get to LGA in time for one's flight out of NYC often meant leaving much earlier to account for getting stuck in traffic. There's less a problem with that when taking a train. Even taking a cab from Manhattan one can get stuck in traffic (usually on a bridge or tunnel when there is no escape route).

I missed a flight once because the bus got stuck in traffic on the Grand Central Parkway and nothing was moving for a long time. I never found out what caused the jam. Probably a fatality car accident. I missed my plane by five minutes, and had to come back home and try again the next day.
phuqueue
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by phuqueue »

The LGA Airtrain is just a Cuomo vanity project and tremendous waste of billions of dollars. It runs in the wrong direction, to a little used LIRR station, where it will also link up to an already-overcrowded 7 train, ultimately taking longer than existing options for almost everyone. Even the LIRR connection is terrible, because the station is on a standalone line that doesn't connect to the rest of the LIRR network until you get closer in to Manhattan, so even the majority of Long Islanders, who geographically-speaking appear to be in the "right" direction for convenient Airtrain use, will have to travel deeper into the city, transfer trains, and double back to get to the Airtrain. It's almost impressive that they managed to design something that requires almost everybody to overshoot and then double back, no matter which direction they're coming from. The entire project is a joke, it's worse than if nothing were built at all. They ought to just extend the N instead, or build an Airtrain that connects to the N and/or Roosevelt Avenue. An Airtrain in the wrong direction to a station that nobody uses or even really can use makes no sense. I imagine almost nobody is going to use it unless they don't know any better (tourists who don't know the city very well and will just follow airport signs to the train) or are forced to (if existing bus connections get cut).

Could be at least somewhat salvageable if they were to extend it further to connect to the JFK Airtrain at Jamaica, which would somewhat mitigate the connectivity issues for LGA (still ultimately in the wrong direction if you're coming from Manhattan, but much better subway and LIRR connections at Jamaica) and would create a really easy transfer between LGA and JFK. It's not something that is necessarily worth building on its own, but if the Airtrain is already going to Willets Point anyway, the extension would be an improvement. But I don't think anybody with any power has floated that idea as even a "hey, maybe we'll finally do this in fifty years" thing, I'm not sure it's on anybody's radar at all.
FangKC wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 1:23 am The Airtrain to Willets Point does seem a strange route. I never understood why they didn't extend the N line through Astoria, Queens, to the airport back in the late 30s when LGA was built and there was WPA money available.
I suspect the answer is that the money actually wasn't available, at least not for this. The old maps of the proposed expansions (1929 original, scaled back 1939 revision) include a line running near (although not to) present day LGA, but almost none of the expansion was ultimately built (not this line or any of the others) because of the Depression. No idea what the details were but seems they couldn't pull together funding despite the New Deal programs.

(Not to pull the KCI thread too far in the direction of "alternate history of the NYC subway," but in looking at that Second System stuff above, I came across this proposed expansion from 1920 that was even more ambitious than the Second System plans and looks like it includes a line running even closer to present day LGA. Just from glancing at the map, I'm pretty sure none of this got built [note in the blog post that he colored the map himself from a low-quality newspaper scan and acknowledges that he might have miscolored some existing Manhattan lines to look like they were only proposed at the time], although in a handful of cases there are later-built lines near some of the proposals. Anyway, has nothing to do with anything, just an interesting map I'd never seen before.)
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

The Airtrain to Willets Point only happened because the extension of the N train was blocked by state and local politicians representing Astoria and Steinway neighborhoods in Queens. They said that the extension was too disruptive to neighborhoods.

The Airtrain connection doesn't disrupt any residential or commercial corridors.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

The APM at O'Hara is out of service and by comparison, the buses to the rental car facility suck. I really hope we can get something built at MCI. Not that I need a bus to the rental car facility but I would like our visitors to have an enjoyable experience.
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

Current access to, and current rental car facility, are fine.
Sani
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Sani »

Running buses back and forth between one terminal and one rental car center should be more than sufficient.

I am still curious to find out how they handle the economy lots. Just pick whichever lot you'd like and run buses to and from the terminal to all three of them? Somehow combine the lots into one giant lot and run buses through the whole thing? (Sounds like a bad idea.)
phuqueue
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by phuqueue »

FangKC wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 3:02 pm The Airtrain to Willets Point only happened because the extension of the N train was blocked by state and local politicians representing Astoria and Steinway neighborhoods in Queens. They said that the extension was too disruptive to neighborhoods.

The Airtrain connection doesn't disrupt any residential or commercial corridors.
Right, NIMBYs killed the N extension (twenty years ago, and nobody bothered to try again before Cuomo foisted the Airtrain on the city), but then the next best option for airport users is actually the status quo. The Airtrain is worse than the existing bus connections. It might not disrupt any neighborhoods, but it also doesn't improve access to the airport. It's just a waste of $2 billion.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

That Willets Point proposal was on the stove well before Cuomo was ever governor.
N Train Extension To LaG Scrapped

July 16, 2003

Reviewing the background of the LaGuardia connection plan, Gianaris recalled, "The community studied and recommended many options [about 20] but they were all ignored by the MTA." The one most favored by the community and elected representatives was the No. 7 train connection from Willets Point near Shea Stadium to the airport, Gianaris said.
State Senator George Onorato (D–Astoria) could not be reached for comment on this article, but he was on record as being a major proponent of the Willets Point–No. 7 train link to the airport. He felt that proposal was a natural because it avoided residential areas and was confined to industrial sections where it disturbed no one.
https://www.qgazette.com/articles/n-tra ... -scrapped/