OFFICIAL - New KCI Terminal

Transportation topics in KC
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Re: We are getting a new airport!!!

Post by beautyfromashes »

https://www.businessinsider.com/the-ipa ... th-ipads-2
Laguardia has the tables all around the terminal in waiting areas. The units allow you to play games while you wait for your flight but you can also order food to them. I suppose, like you said, the airlines would have to approve them since they wouldn't be in designated food areas but in the concourse waiting areas. I believe they're only in the new Delta terminal.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

beautyfromashes wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:15 pm https://www.businessinsider.com/the-ipa ... th-ipads-2
Laguardia has the tables all around the terminal in waiting areas. The units allow you to play games while you wait for your flight but you can also order food to them. I suppose, like you said, the airlines would have to approve them since they wouldn't be in designated food areas but in the concourse waiting areas. I believe they're only in the new Delta terminal.

Yep, that is a common set up. Delta most likely paid for all of that. At the major hubs, the airlines take much of the role that KCAD plays here. United spent over $120 million to put these in at Newark in 2014. I do not believe the airlines expressed any interest in doing that here (we aren't a hub).

https://www.cultofmac.com/302431/united ... -makeover/

I updated my last post. Check it out.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

normalthings wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:11 pm
earthling wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 5:48 pm Keep such bars but with the tablets or QR codes at every seat. But also add open tables throughout the terminal, not necessarily associated to any gate yet placed about. These can be charging tables with ability to order from any ghost kitchen in terminal. Some Florida restaurants are doing this now, and I've heard at some beaches with open seating, though haven't been to a beach doing this.
Your QR code is interesting and maybe a post-covid shift. Now that everyone has gotten used to using QR codes when dining out during COVID, you wouldn't have to train people to use the codes. I could see whoever wins the F&B master contract doing something like that.
Perhaps the F&B master contract holder can offer F&B-as-a-service to the airline seating areas, all they have to do is provide QR codes at their charging tables - and tablets if they'd like (it doesn't have to be iPads). Each QR code is unique to the seating space. Maybe the F&B would be willing to provide/service the tablets as well. If doable, KCI should seek/encourage such an F&B provider.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

What’s the likelihood that KC begins to develop as a hub following the new terminal opening? Geographic position is an obvious advantage.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:42 pm What’s the likelihood that KC begins to develop as a hub following the new terminal opening? Geographic position is an obvious advantage.
KC has around 11-12 million passengers a year. Southwest, Delta, or Jetblue/Breeze are probably the most likely to make KC a focus city. Southwest's squeeze at Love and Midway forced them to push traffic through STL, Nashville, and Denver(some). STL's airport sucks so I would love to see KC pick up some of their Southwest flights. However, I don't know if we really will have the capacity to do so. DAL, B6, and Breeze ordered A220s, a new kind of jet, that makes it economical to fly lower demand routes again. KC could become the first mid-country hub for B6 or Breeze. JetBlue has been eyeing KC for some time.

STL has a ton of empty gates available for cheap. Southwest has grown a lot there over the past decades. The SWA side of their airport was never meant to do what is being asked of it. Terminal 2 was built as an outpost of sorts in the 90's for Southwest. It is pretty packed even during covid. T2 is connected to Terminal 1 via the old regional jet concourse (E gates). T2 is overcrowded and the e-gates are old and tired. Its not a good or efficient setup but it is cheap for Southwest to renovate abandoned space into new gates. I don't think they would have focused on STL otherwise. St Louis is one of Southwest's top 15 stations. STL is around 15-16 million pax per year. STL would probably be pretty close to KC if not for all of the connecting traffic.

Nashville’s airport is over 18 million pax per year. Lots of tourist o&d and connecting traffic. Nashville is rebuilding all of their facilities and is well on the way to becoming a big hub airport. I think Southwest is going big there.

Indianapolis built a very nice, big new terminal but they are too close to CHI and Detroit to really become a hub.
Last edited by normalthings on Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I swear I've seen those at non hub airports.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:42 pm What’s the likelihood that KC begins to develop as a hub following the new terminal opening? Geographic position is an obvious advantage.
Perhaps what's most important for KC and KCI is to have as many direct non-stop destinations as possible, and then ideally several runs per day for major markets. A hub from a major airline helps with that but every airport is vying for such hubiness. KCI used to have Vangard, which provided over 120 nonstop destinations from KCI at peak (compared to under 50 today as airlines have consolidated). Would be great if KC can score major hub status with a major airline but perhaps it's more realistic to pursue and encourage a new local based airline that can bump up nonstops and minihub operations to over 100 destinations again. The dynamics are different today so not sure if that even realistic.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

KCPowercat wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:10 pm I swear I've seen those at non hub airports.
Am thinking I have too but depends on how you define a hub. Either way, tablet/phone ordering should be this way at airports moving forward. Dedicating seating to individual terminal 'restaurants' is so last century, so last analog humanity. Need entirely open seating everywhere where you can access eats from all terminal ghost kitchens from where you are seated. Make it happen KCI. Think forward.
kipdynamite
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by kipdynamite »

I think the airport has a good layout to become a hub. Expand concourse A with 11 more gates for all of the smaller airlines, and international flights. Concourse B has 27 gates, and its own concession node. That would be perfect for an airline to use that wanted to expand at MCI.
kipdynamite
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by kipdynamite »

normalthings wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:11 pm
earthling wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 5:48 pm Keep such bars but with the tablets or QR codes at every seat. But also add open tables throughout the terminal, not necessarily associated to any gate yet placed about. These can be charging tables with ability to order from any ghost kitchen in terminal. Some Florida restaurants are doing this now, and I've heard at some beaches with open seating, though haven't been to a beach doing this.
The only place you can add tables, without it being in the airline realm, is in circulation or space previously assigned to F&B. This recent-ish rendering shows such a setup. However, that rendering looks like the tables are within the gate lounge space at the end of a concourse. Your QR code is interesting and maybe a post-covid shift. Now that everyone has gotten used to using QR codes when dining out during COVID, you wouldn't have to train people to use the codes. I could see whoever wins the F&B master contract doing something like that.

It also shows a smooth, flat ceiling that an earlier poster was hoping for.....
Yes, the ceiling in the concourses look amazing. Hopefully this stays. I've noticed some of the renderings have been inconsistent, or have been modified. I think its high time we get us some new renderings. A walk through would be nice.
kipdynamite
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by kipdynamite »

2018-06-12-Present-Concept-Design-Walkthru-w-KCAD-reduced (1).pdf
Anybody know what happened to this design?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

kipdynamite wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:01 am 2018-06-12-Present-Concept-Design-Walkthru-w-KCAD-reduced (1).pdf
What?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

earthling wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:35 pm
KCPowercat wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:10 pm I swear I've seen those at non hub airports.
Am thinking I have too but depends on how you define a hub. Either way, tablet/phone ordering should be this way at airports moving forward. Dedicating seating to individual terminal 'restaurants' is so last century, so last analog humanity. Need entirely open seating everywhere where you can access eats from all terminal ghost kitchens from where you are seated. Make it happen KCI. Think forward.
Iirc, Most food prep will be done in common kitchens on floor 1.
kipdynamite
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by kipdynamite »

normalthings wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:03 am
kipdynamite wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:01 am 2018-06-12-Present-Concept-Design-Walkthru-w-KCAD-reduced (1).pdf
What?
https://www.buildkci.com/aviation-department-reports/
The 6-12-18 design walk through.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

That power point shows a design that was never shown to the public. Looks very expensive but demonstrates the capabilities of the development-design team when giving a sizable budget.

The most recent renderings on KCI-Edgemoor and Build KCI show value engineering since that 2018 presentation.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

That plan, while neat, seemed awfully expensive. Comparing it to what is coming, I prefer what's being built.

It's simple. functional, modern, and will be nice once open.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

normalthings wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:42 pm February Drones

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rodNk_cS9G0
Really coming together. Impressive
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

normalthings wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:26 pm Insulation install.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/BuildKCI/ph ... e_internal
Blows my mind that multi-billion dollar projects are using fiberglass insulation these days.. what a waste.

This latest cold snap was perfect karma to that kind of shitty engineering and project scoping.