OFFICIAL - New KCI Terminal

Transportation topics in KC
herrfrank
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Re: OFFICIAL - New KCI Terminal

Post by herrfrank »

11k square feet is a large lounge -- very nice for Delta customers in KC. Also makes it likelier that SkyTeam starts intercontinental service from MCI. AMS or CDG would be the obvious options. Is the second "lounge" space on the third floor also 11k square feet? Or is it a smaller space?

Still surprised it is not LHR and AA as the domestic partner.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Council Supported

Project Description

Delta Air Lines is proposing to lease approximately 11,000 square feet at for the purposes of constructing a Sky Club Lounge for their customers at the New Terminal at the Kansas City International Airport.

Authorizing a Terminal Lease Agreement with Delta Air Lines, Inc. for the construction, operation, maintenance and repair of a Sky Club Lounge at the New Terminal at the Kansas City International Airport.
https://clerk.kcmo.gov/LegislationDetai ... arch=Delta
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

herrfrank wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 6:17 pm 11k square feet is a large lounge -- very nice for Delta customers in KC. Also makes it likelier that SkyTeam starts intercontinental service from MCI. AMS or CDG would be the obvious options. Is the second "lounge" space on the third floor also 11k square feet? Or is it a smaller space?

But I was told this was just a "boring, average, nothingburger" airport
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

How many sf are available on that level? That is the only space available for lounges at this point correct?
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 1:44 am
herrfrank wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 6:17 pm 11k square feet is a large lounge -- very nice for Delta customers in KC. Also makes it likelier that SkyTeam starts intercontinental service from MCI. AMS or CDG would be the obvious options. Is the second "lounge" space on the third floor also 11k square feet? Or is it a smaller space?

It is from an architectural standpoint. Modern airports terminals tend to be "grand". Cities all over the world go out of their way to make them that way. KC didn't. KC built a box and a couple of concourses and that's fine. I think the new KCI will be so nice compared to the existing airport.

Even this story while great news shouldn't really be big news. I mean, it's silly that KC getting a proper airline lounge is a big deal. But that's how bad the existing airport is.

People will wonder why they waited so long for a new terminal.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

GRID wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 12:04 pm

It is from an architectural standpoint. Modern airports terminals tend to be "grand". Cities all over the world go out of their way to make them that way. KC didn't. KC built a box and a couple of concourses and that's fine. I think the new KCI will be so nice compared to the existing airport.

Even this story while great news shouldn't really be big news. I mean, it's silly that KC getting a proper airline lounge is a big deal. But that's how bad the existing airport is.

I think the size is a surprise. It should not be a surprise to people that the last lounge to close is the first to reopen at KCI
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

A post on kcrag is now big news? Grid I think you are being a little rough on us.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

My main point really was on the sheer size of the lounge not really that we’re getting one here. That’s where I’m thinking this is special compared to most.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

I'm just excited because I fly Delta 🤣 A good sign they'll stay invested in the market. I was expecting a more generic offering.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Investment in architecture sure has changed in a century. A hundred years ago the mass intercity transit in U.S.A. was train. Union Station was a lofty temple and stepping out, not a garage, but a vast green hill topped with a grand monument. As Vincent Scully said: "One entered the city like a god; one scuttles in now like a rat."
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

WoodDraw wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 2:18 pm I'm just excited because I fly Delta 🤣 A good sign they'll stay invested in the market. I was expecting a more generic offering.
+1
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

normalthings wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:40 pm Image

Solar field rendering
Notice space for Runway 4 is left open.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

KCPowercat wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 1:45 pm A post on kcrag is now big news? Grid I think you are being a little rough on us.
I'm not saying people there are making it big news, I'm saying it kind of is big news because that means KCI is becoming a real airport that people won't mind spending more the five minutes. The current KCI is just so bad in just how much it lacks.

You read too much into my posts.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Even this story while great news shouldn't really be big news. I mean, it's silly that KC getting a proper airline lounge is a big deal.
I read this as it was big news and/or a big deal not in the context of how bad the current place is. Apologies if I misread it.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Also, lounge announcements normally are news to travel and development geeks. I don't think I even saw it reported anywhere other than here? Bit of a stretch to call it big news, although this website has always had a healthy ego.

And second, like we know our current terminals are shit. Every time there is an announcement you don't have to remind us. Trust us, we all know.
herrfrank
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by herrfrank »

normalthings wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 12:15 pm I think the size is a surprise. It should not be a surprise to people that the last lounge to close is the first to reopen at KCI
The AA Admirals Club closed around Christmas 2012 -- I thought the Delta SkyClub closed in 2009 during the Great Recession.

Regardless, it is nice to get a full-service lounge for Kansas City -- and importantly it augurs well for international nonstops. My $$$ are on Amsterdam-Schiphol
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Yeah I thought aa was the last one out too, but my memory is gone.

I would love CDG or schipol more than I can describe. A direct to a latam hub in South America would be amazing too.

I know we're not there yet, but I'd take both of those ♥️
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

https://www.instagram.com/p/CWLXSEELHVk ... _copy_link
briandavidplatt Imagine Kansas City being powered by 100% renewable energy. We are in the early stages of building a new solar array potentially half the size of Manhattan that could power most of Kansas City. This project will dramatically reduce air pollution and improve air quality in the region: 70% of the electricity in Missouri last year was from coal burning power plants!
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Tour!

normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Emerald City Green in the bathrooms?