OFFICIAL - New KCI Terminal

Transportation topics in KC
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Re: We are getting a new airport!!!

Post by KCPowercat »

Good question and I don't have a good answer. I'm not well versed in what the finishings and interior design already are but thinking about other terminals I've been in I'd want to see these things and lots of them. In no order

Water faucets with bottle fillers everywhere.
Technology upgrades for signage, 0oint of sale, baggage, departure assistance
Upgraded finishings
Arrival bagged self service (from tag yourself to self drop)
Top of the line and varied departure lounge seating
Lounge space built out
Art and interesting items beyond 1% art requirements
Fountain done right
Upgraded flooring

I'll keep thinking on it.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

^ Most of these seem valid and might already be in the plans. I guess my point was just that this wasn’t expected money. There’s no going back now to add the wave back in the roof. The glass walkways seem like a nice addition given the stage we are in construction. Making the art installation(s) spectacular might be nice but I’ve never fully engaged by a piece of art in an airport that I can remember. It will be what it is, a waymarker and meeting destination. So, my desires for that are limited. At this point for me, I’d use extra money to entice higher end retail and restaurant businesses. Spend to build out a custom smoker to attract the best bbq restaurant or high end finishes for a jewelry store or shoe store. Probably sounds boring, but I’d think most people are drawn to those amenities more than a dangly sky sculpture.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Better have automatic flush toliets or it will be the biggest failure our city has seen EVER. Even bigger than the sad Sprint Center that couldn't even keep it's name. CONVENIANT AND SANITARY!!!

! This claim about toliet opperation is disputed.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

beautyfromashes wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:32 am ^ Most of these seem valid and might already be in the plans. I guess my point was just that this wasn’t expected money. There’s no going back now to add the wave back in the roof. The glass walkways seem like a nice addition given the stage we are in construction. Making the art installation(s) spectacular might be nice but I’ve never fully engaged by a piece of art in an airport that I can remember. It will be what it is, a waymarker and meeting destination. So, my desires for that are limited. At this point for me, I’d use extra money to entice higher end retail and restaurant businesses. Spend to build out a custom smoker to attract the best bbq restaurant or high end finishes for a jewelry store or shoe store. Probably sounds boring, but I’d think most people are drawn to those amenities more than a dangly sky sculpture.
I hadn't read that this was unexpected fun money and hence we're upgrading jetways.
Sani
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Sani »

Definitely looking forward to the glass jetways, which will be a major improvement over the claustrophobic corrugated steel tunnels we're used to. Hopefully the airlines will find a way to live without the promo posters that line the walls.

I was reading through the bidding docs for the jetway replacement project at RSW in Southwest Florida a while back, because I am just that boring of a human being, and I seem to recall there was some dispute between the airport and the contractors on whether glass bridges were allowable. I want to say a smaller contractor that got rejected tried to claim the glass bridges didn't meet local fire codes or something. But I'm glad that nonsense is out of the way.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I remember justin meyer commenting something about them just being allowed not long ago. Don't remember the context.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

KCPowercat wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:54 am
beautyfromashes wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:32 am ^ Most of these seem valid and might already be in the plans. I guess my point was just that this wasn’t expected money. There’s no going back now to add the wave back in the roof. The glass walkways seem like a nice addition given the stage we are in construction. Making the art installation(s) spectacular might be nice but I’ve never fully engaged by a piece of art in an airport that I can remember. It will be what it is, a waymarker and meeting destination. So, my desires for that are limited. At this point for me, I’d use extra money to entice higher end retail and restaurant businesses. Spend to build out a custom smoker to attract the best bbq restaurant or high end finishes for a jewelry store or shoe store. Probably sounds boring, but I’d think most people are drawn to those amenities more than a dangly sky sculpture.
I hadn't read that this was unexpected fun money and hence we're upgrading jetways.
Glass PBBs have been on the KCAD wish list since the beginning.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

yeah I knew that from Justin's tweets. I felt they were always going to happen due to that, not just because we got some budget wiggle room somewhere.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

It seems like a fairly odd thing to hang your hat on. I don’t like tight spaces and prefer glass, but they mean more at airports where you tend to line up in them.

That’s not really a problem here.

It’s nice though. Why not?
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

WoodDraw wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 4:54 pm It seems like a fairly odd thing to hang your hat on. I don’t like tight spaces and prefer glass, but they mean more at airports where you tend to line up in them.

That’s not really a problem here.

It’s nice though. Why not?
I have never once not lined up in them in KC.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Can't wait to walk down those jetways!
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

A couple of new airport questions: Will there be some type of people movers between the outer and inner concourses? Seems like that will be a fairly substantial walk for some older people hauling suitcases.

Where will the bulk of the services be (e.g., restaurants, bars, stores)?

What will become of the two remaining terminals of old KCI? Preservation for additional gates use if the need ever arises?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Yes

Two hubs on either end of the middle walkway

Currently tear down both. I really hope the keep C for historical purposes. Move the airline museum there
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

I could be wrong (and likely am) but I thought only b was slated for immediate tear down because that’s where expansion would go. I thought they were keeping c for now.

Sure it’ll come downtown to upkeep vs. cost of tearing down.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

At one time there was talk of using C for general aviation type stuff. I remember reading a bid would go out to tear down both with B being first.

I think there is time to alter what happens
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Highlander wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 3:51 pm A couple of new airport questions: Will there be some type of people movers between the outer and inner concourses? Seems like that will be a fairly substantial walk for some older people hauling suitcases.

Where will the bulk of the services be (e.g., restaurants, bars, stores)?

What will become of the two remaining terminals of old KCI? Preservation for additional gates use if the need ever arises?
1. Yes. You can see one behind the 2 guys on the right.

2. Node A and B at each end of the connector. Some services along each concourse.

3. Required to be bulldozed by 2028. B and C are outdated and falling apart as is. There will never be a need to save them for future use outside of a one-time thing like the World Cup.
Last edited by normalthings on Sat Dec 12, 2020 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Builkci shows future with current status videos and the renderings are the ones that came out in 2018. Why aren't there better newer renderings of this project. Annoying.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

KCPowercat wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 4:47 pm Builkci shows future with current status videos and the renderings are the ones that came out in 2018. Why aren't there better newer renderings of this project. Annoying.
That's easy, they didn't want to pay again. I bet there aren't newer renderings of those views.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »