Mark Twain Tower

Re: We are getting a new airport!!!

Post by normalthings »

Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Build KCI Facebook Page posted these photos showing how a Departure Lounge is coming along...

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?van ... 2491496976
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

10 or 12 foot ceilings
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Am I being too harsh to expect a little more than this for social media sneak peeks at this point? I could do this in like 22 seconds

https://twitter.com/BuildKCI/status/139 ... 83621?s=19
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

KCPowercat wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 3:11 pm Am I being too harsh to expect a little more than this for social media sneak peeks at this point? I could do this in like 22 seconds

It's being treated as a cost center rather than an opportunity.
horizons82
New York Life
New York Life

Post by horizons82 »

Flew out of KCI yesterday afternoon and overheard a SW gate agent talking to a flight crew member. They said the new terminal is apparently ahead of schedule by a magnitude of months. Because of that, discussions are supposedly being had about moving the airlines over in waves (rather than all at once in the spring of '23), with SW being the first to move in fall 2022.

Take that with a healthy grain of salt, but figured I'd share.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

KCPowercat wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 3:11 pm Am I being too harsh to expect a little more than this for social media sneak peeks at this point? I could do this in like 22 seconds

There aren’t a lot of finishes in yet. Rows and rows of steel, concrete, ducts, etc. There isn’t really anything exciting to show yet. Structure wise there was a big media day last month that showed progress off. Also look at the YouTube for walkthroughs every few weeks.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Right. Well aware of where actual construction is. I'm talking new image or video renderings. Not matching up construction with the picture that came with the bid. Any 10 year old could do that.

Social media and PR wasn't insignificant number in the construction budget from my memory. This is poor.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

KCPowercat wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 8:48 pm Right. Well aware of where actual construction is. I'm talking new image or video renderings. Not matching up construction with the picture that came with the bid. Any 10 year old could do that.

Social media and PR wasn't insignificant number in the construction budget from my memory. This is poor.
What would you like to see?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

We are over halfway through. Video and image renderings seem pretty common in other projects like this at this stage it seems? That's why I asked if I was being too harsh given where we are in the project.

This they are pumping out is kind of embarrassing and just would be better not to do at all. The video YouTube walkthrough are cool though.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

KCPowercat wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 8:53 pm We are over halfway through. Video and image renderings seem pretty common in other projects like this at this stage it seems? That's why I asked if I was being too harsh given where we are in the project.

This they are pumping out is kind of embarrassing and just would be better not to do at all. The video YouTube walkthrough are cool though.
This is a D/B project. Things are still influx. The drone walkthroughs are pretty rare when it comes to airport projects and require special permissions.
mistervinix
New York Life
New York Life

Post by mistervinix »

horizons82 wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 7:06 pm Flew out of KCI yesterday afternoon and overheard a SW gate agent talking to a flight crew member. They said the new terminal is apparently ahead of schedule by a magnitude of months. Because of that, discussions are supposedly being had about moving the airlines over in waves (rather than all at once in the spring of '23), with SW being the first to move in fall 2022.

They should not do that. Critics will pounce on it only being partially done, restaurants not fully open, etc. A grand opening would be better. This city has waited a long time for a modern airport terminal and they need to get it right.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

mistervinix wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 7:35 am
horizons82 wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 7:06 pm Flew out of KCI yesterday afternoon and overheard a SW gate agent talking to a flight crew member. They said the new terminal is apparently ahead of schedule by a magnitude of months. Because of that, discussions are supposedly being had about moving the airlines over in waves (rather than all at once in the spring of '23), with SW being the first to move in fall 2022.

They should not do that. Critics will pounce on it only being partially done, restaurants not fully open, etc. A grand opening would be better. This city has waited a long time for a modern airport terminal and they need to get it right.
Phased moves are pretty common for airports.

A phased move is best to ensure no major failures. Imagine everyone moves and then they learn the computer system doesn’t work 100% as planned.

KC will also host League of Cities in November 2022. City strongly wants to showcase the new terminal for that event.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

mistervinix wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 7:35 am

Hubris must be risk managed.

Any complete replacement project in any industry anywhere that doesn't plan to do a staged rollout is setting itself up for trouble. I work on projects with software and hardware roll outs and we have three stages of testing and 6-10 stages of production roll out. The airport should have as many migration stages as their are code sharing partnerships.

The move is going to be highly disruptive as organized chaos. With stages they can have lessons learned meetings after the first one and the second move will be much smoother where everything from task sequences to training is improved.

They also get more hours to do it. If the last flight arrives after midnight and the first flight departs before 6am, three stages gives 15 hours to move. That's going to play a huge part of risk management.

SW going first would be smart. If they abandon B first the logistics of clearing A is much simpler as it provides staging space at B. B has staging space in the new terminal before it opens.

Amenities can move in stages paired with their airlines. Few people will care if the amenity inside the SW gates in B moves before their airline in A.
On the other end, if SW is in two arms, not having few amenities open in two other arms is of little importance.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Biggest airline first seems pretty dumb
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

KCPowercat wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 11:47 am Biggest airline first seems pretty dumb
SW’s concourse will be the first completed. This is the one that tile walls and ceilings are going into already
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Okay. Still seems like a bad idea. You don't pilot something with the biggest use case first.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

KCPowercat wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 12:10 pm Okay. Still seems like a bad idea. You don't pilot something with the biggest use case first.
It’s a rumor from a frontline employee. Nothing official. They would have no idea if others are moving with Southwest.

Southwest just makes the most sense to move first of the major airlines.