OFFICIAL - New KCI Terminal

Transportation topics in KC
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: We are getting a new airport!!!

Post by flyingember »

KCI is the second largest airport in the country that isn't a hub/feature city for an airline.

Ignore our specific population and look at the overall network of flying in the midwest. It's not about KC, it's if flights can be added to other airports that determines our future.

Chicago or Minneapolis where they can't add more terminal space or runways without massive neighborhoods tear outs.
Both Dallas airports are space constrained.

The whole network is going to have to shift to more direct flights because it will be easier than trying to fix more people into a few hubs.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

DaveKCMO wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:25 am I'm no airport expert, but if KC metro population isn't growing much then there won't seem to be a need to grow the terminal -- especially since many airlines have consolidated or gone out of business. I suppose we could become a hot tourist destination to offset the lack of population growth, but...
STL added something like 6 million passengers/year over the past decade just due the addition of connecting flights. Capacity constraints at the main connecting airports have provided opportunities for other cities
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Aerial. You can see that they are building out a rooftop lounge space on the far concourse. Will have some amazing views!

Parking garage stairwell

Parking garage 50% complete after 1 year.

Preparing marble to be hung behind the ticket counters.
The panels will become the facing material for the entire west wall of the headhouse check-in hall. The design team worked in partnership with Carthage Stoneworks and Phenix Marble Company to arrange the stone before its installation on the wall to take into consideration any variations in the product’s natural tone and veining. Carthage and Phenix have worked together for nearly a century, installing and supplying marble to historic and major buildings throughout the country, including the Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art, the Argyle Building in downtown Kansas City, and the State Capitol building in Jefferson City.

Exit roads are being built under the existing terminal entry/exit roads.

More art was selected recently

Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Glass now being installed on the headhouse.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jACn2CocAgo
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Maybe not cost effective but would be nice if the precast concrete were tinted red, representing Chiefs and blue glass representing Royals. I'm all for practical function over form/aesthetics for the airport otherwise.

Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

I really hope the roads leading up to the terminal are planned well and sized to handle traffic volumes. Austin’s terminal has a similar layout for the head house, and if you go in the afternoon, it is gridlocked getting into arrivals and takes about 30 mins to get through on a good day. Hoping ours has some decent flow so we don’t have to deal with a problem like that.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 9:11 am I really hope the roads leading up to the terminal are planned well and sized to handle traffic volumes. Austin’s terminal has a similar layout for the head house, and if you go in the afternoon, it is gridlocked getting into arrivals and takes about 30 mins to get through on a good day. Hoping ours has some decent flow so we don’t have to deal with a problem like that.
Think there are 4 drop off lanes and 4 pick up lanes. Plus a separate area for commercial vehicles (bus, limo, Uber)
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

I wonder if after people use the streetcar and then the bee airport it really starts to change a person mind on voting yes funding these massive projects for the city.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 12:35 pm I wonder if after people use the streetcar and then the bee airport it really starts to change a person mind on voting yes funding these massive projects for the city.
Bee airport

AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Lol, *new^
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 9:11 am I really hope the roads leading up to the terminal are planned well and sized to handle traffic volumes. Austin’s terminal has a similar layout for the head house, and if you go in the afternoon, it is gridlocked getting into arrivals and takes about 30 mins to get through on a good day. Hoping ours has some decent flow so we don’t have to deal with a problem like that.
Traffic will probably bog down at peak times like most airports do. But at least you will have the option of using the other level.

BWI departures get super busy in the morning and arrivals get busy in evenings, so we always use the opposite of what is busy. When one is very busy, the other is typically empty.

Just pick people up at departures in the evening and drop off at arrivals in mornings. Go into the terminal and go up or down to the level you need and you have bypassed all the traffic.
ToDactivist
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by ToDactivist »

As a visitor to MCI - should be KCI? - does anyone know whether we can expect an automated tram to rental cars or is it overlooked that we have to take the randomly-timed, crowded and slow busses? Very old school transit and even more reason to embrace Uber if so.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

ToDactivist wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 4:20 pm As a visitor to MCI - should be KCI? - does anyone know whether we can expect an automated tram to rental cars or is it overlooked that we have to take the randomly-timed, crowded and slow busses? Very old school transit and even more reason to embrace Uber if so.
Patrick Klein mentioned this relatively recently. He said if it does happen, it would likely be a few years after opening of the new terminal, so think 25-26 start date. It would connect the terminal with consolidated rental car facility, economy parking, and I imagine a passenger drop off/pick up location being incorporated so people wouldn’t have to drive all the way into the terminal
ToDactivist
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by ToDactivist »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 4:39 pm
ToDactivist wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 4:20 pm As a visitor to MCI - should be KCI? - does anyone know whether we can expect an automated tram to rental cars or is it overlooked that we have to take the randomly-timed, crowded and slow busses? Very old school transit and even more reason to embrace Uber if so.
Patrick Klein mentioned this relatively recently. He said if it does happen, it would likely be a few years after opening of the new terminal, so think 25-26 start date. It would connect the terminal with consolidated rental car facility, economy parking, and I imagine a passenger drop off/pick up location being incorporated so people wouldn’t have to drive all the way into the terminal
thanks and hopeful.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

ToDactivist wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 5:53 pm
thanks and hopeful.
CONCRAC will be paid off in the next few years. Can use the fees going there today and cost savings from removing buses to pay for a new APM. Very contingent on travel and auto rentals picking back up.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

normalthings wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 8:45 pm
ToDactivist wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 5:53 pm
thanks and hopeful.
CONCRAC will be paid off in the next few years. Can use the fees going there today and cost savings from removing buses to pay for a new APM. Very contingent on travel and auto rentals picking back up.
I can see KCI moving forward with this. However, even the buses will work way better with the new terminal. Having the buses going to departing level or leaving from arriving level will make a world of difference. And no more "which bus goes to what terminal confusion. KCI's current buses to the RCF are a total PITA with people getting on and off the buses instead of everybody generally having the same destination.

I wonder how they would incorporate a people mover into the RCF? I guess they would run it right over the top of it.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

There is a map of the proposed system somewhere around here or the city website.

My hope is that any APM to the CONRAC allows for a future T2 on the terminal D site.
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

normalthings wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 11:30 pm There is a map of the proposed system somewhere around here or the city website.

My hope is that any APM to the CONRAC allows for a future T2 on the terminal D site.
I don't think any specific route was posted, the study is to show feasibility and potential route options between new terminal to CONRAC.

https://www.kshb.com/news/local-news/kc ... ew-airport

My only hope is that they design with future rail access to the airport in mind either have the APM go to a transfer station near CONRAC or have it run on the same type of tracks that can be converted to streetcar access and just have one additional stop at CONRAC.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

98% sure you can find an actual map in the city archives. Someone mind taking a look?