OFFICIAL - New KCI Terminal

Transportation topics in KC
mykem
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: We are getting a new airport!!!

Post by mykem »

It was impossible to get a full visual scale of the size due to the huge pile of dirt, and rocks between the project and the runway. IMO, it looks to be a larger version of Love Field in Dallas.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

mykem wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:32 am It was impossible to get a full visual scale of the size due to the huge pile of dirt, and rocks between the project and the runway. IMO, it looks to be a larger version of Love Field in Dallas.
That is what they are shooting for
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

https://t.co/yfkKPqpW31

KCMO/Airlines: We want the best value contractor.
Edgemoor: *Does that*
KCMO: *Gets Mad*

If you want to talk about something sketchy, the local contractor that Shields wants to win wins every KCI project to the point that they essentially have a permanent on site concrete plant.
mykem
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by mykem »

normalthings wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:48 pm https://t.co/yfkKPqpW31

KCMO/Airlines: We want the best value contractor.
Edgemoor: *Does that*
KCMO: *Gets Mad*

If you want to talk about something sketchy, the local contractor that Shields wants to win wins every KCI project to the point that they essentially have a permanent on site concrete plant.
Why would someone cause waves when you got a project that is exceeding goals this far?
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Drove by the construction site today. No one was around so I stopped and took a quick panorama of the construction site. I didn't really realize how big this is.
Sani
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Sani »

I took this as our flight was departing for Seattle on Monday, July 13.

scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:56 pm Drove by the construction site today. No one was around so I stopped and took a quick panorama of the construction site. I didn't really realize how big this is.
I've driven by the construction several times in recent months but I flew out/in a few weeks ago for the first time since before covid started and was really surprised by how big it actually is as seen from the taxiways. Quite a bit larger than the impression I got from some of the renderings.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

KCi COVID survey

https://twitter.com/KCIAirport/status/1 ... 94080?s=20

I hope we don't alter the new terminal to such a permanent level that it impacts operations post-covid. Let's remember this isn't going to last forever and people's current expectations/actions aren't going to be the norm in 2040.
horizons82
New York Life
New York Life

Post by horizons82 »

Most of the options presented for the new terminal read as a focus group for what to highlight in advertising, rather than an unexpected re-think of what was designed. I’m not too worried.

I would consider the air ventilation & additional hands-free tech as the most probable changes that could happen. Relatively easy to send out a change order for a different air unit with minimal revision of CDs. Ditto specifying a sensor-powered door/light switch/sink/etc.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I can't imagine we were putting in a lot of doors, etc. that were manual anyways.
mykem
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by mykem »

horizons82 wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:53 pm Most of the options presented for the new terminal read as a focus group for what to highlight in advertising, rather than an unexpected re-think of what was designed. I’m not too worried.

I would consider the air ventilation & additional hands-free tech as the most probable changes that could happen. Relatively easy to send out a change order for a different air unit with minimal revision of CDs. Ditto specifying a sensor-powered door/light switch/sink/etc.
I added those as well. As for structural changes, I added that maybe longer horizontal ramps prior to the jetway might help with crowding in line.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

horizons82 wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:53 pm Most of the options presented for the new terminal read as a focus group for what to highlight in advertising, rather than an unexpected re-think of what was designed. I’m not too worried.

this was about gauging the temperature of things they know they can change at this stage

It felt like they were trying to figure out if there's demand in going more high tech with things people normally touch, if they need to look at more staff for cleaning or if they need to quickly rethink mechanicals
mykem
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by mykem »

flyingember wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:05 pm

this was about gauging the temperature of things they know they can change at this stage

It felt like they were trying to figure out if there's demand in going more high tech with things people normally touch, if they need to look at more staff for cleaning or if they need to quickly rethink mechanicals
Yes, maybe even a way to print your bag tags from your phone to the kiosk through an application. Better touchless faucets in the bathrooms.
horizons82
New York Life
New York Life

Post by horizons82 »

The new LaGuardia head house recently opened. In the promotion for it, they’re advertising their own app for touch less convenience including ordering food.

https://youtu.be/EY6l1NkKYVs

Easy to see something similar rolling out here in 2023.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

The first Y column was installed this week. These will hold up the roof of the head house.

KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I do like that design aspect of the new terminal.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

These columns, along with the wood and copper colors, will help make KCI pretty charming and distinctive, all things considered.

KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Is the left side of the actual construction pic the terminal or the garage? Those concrete slabs scare me if it's the terminal.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

KCPowercat wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:59 pm Is the left side of the actual construction pic the terminal or the garage? Those concrete slabs scare me if it's the terminal.
That is the underground facade of the terminal. The columns are two(?) stories tall
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

underground or arrivals level? Yes the columns are two stories tall (arrivals and departure + roof)

The renderings of the arrivals level is very glassy, not concrete slabs.

edit...ehhh, maybe not. Pretty utilitarian arrivals level.