High Speed Rail - someday?

Transportation topics in KC
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Re: High Speed Rail - someday?

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

I understand that currently, Brightline is only classified as higher-speed rail, but they are absolutely showing the legitimate demand for privately built passenger rail in the U.S.; they’re well on their way to completing their extension to Orlando, with further expansion plans to Tampa as well. They also are looking to begin construction on the line they absorbed from purchasing expresswest from L.A. to Las Vegas. I’m thoroughly excited to see them mature in the market, and eventually begin expanding to operate as a private company on many routes in the U.S.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

The new construction segments will actually be fast -- I think 110mph -- because they're being mostly built in the freeway right-of-way. The initial segment is existing track with too many grade crossings, other train traffic, and stations close together. I rarely saw us going top speed.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

DaveKCMO wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:41 am The new construction segments will actually be fast -- I think 110mph -- because they're being mostly built in the freeway right-of-way. The initial segment is existing track with too many grade crossings, other train traffic, and stations close together. I rarely saw us going top speed.
How was the experience overall? I’ve heard it really rivals the European experience, which is saying a lot! I’ve take the 1st class on TrenItalia from Vicenza to Florence and it was absolutely amazing, so if they’re competing with that level I’d imagine they’re crushing the market.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:29 am
DaveKCMO wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:41 am The new construction segments will actually be fast -- I think 110mph -- because they're being mostly built in the freeway right-of-way. The initial segment is existing track with too many grade crossings, other train traffic, and stations close together. I rarely saw us going top speed.
How was the experience overall? I’ve heard it really rivals the European experience, which is saying a lot! I’ve take the 1st class on TrenItalia from Vicenza to Florence and it was absolutely amazing, so if they’re competing with that level I’d imagine they’re crushing the market.
Great! Except for the speed. We did the first class. It helps that they're using brand new stations. I followed that with an Amtrak trip and, well, it was clear we need more investment in just our stations!