East Village Transit Center

Transportation topics in KC
TrolliKC
Supporter

East Village Transit Center

Post by TrolliKC »

Nice article on nextkansascity on breaking ground at the new East Village Transit Center
https://discuss.nextkansas.city/t/east- ... center/376
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Re: East Village Transit Center

Post by DaveKCMO »

TrolliKC wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:23 pm Nice article on nextkansascity on breaking ground at the new East Village Transit Center
https://discuss.nextkansas.city/t/east- ... center/376
That's an old rendering. Here's the new one:

missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

Will people be able to wait in the enclosed building and see when they need to exit to catch their buses?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

missingkc wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:19 pm Will people be able to wait in the enclosed building and see when they need to exit to catch their buses?
Yes and yes.
town cow
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by town cow »

Great, since that doesn't happen at 39th and Troost.
TrolliKC
Supporter

Post by TrolliKC »

[/quote]

That's an old rendering. Here's the new one:

[/quote]

I liked the old design much more but thanks for the update
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Does this have the same bus capacity as 10th and main? Seems like it's less.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

There's room for six busses at 10th and Main and one is on the street.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

KCPowercat wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:02 am Does this have the same bus capacity as 10th and main? Seems like it's less.
I think it has considerably greater capacity. Not to mention bathrooms and better shelter.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

It's more space, plus we're able to go to a single entrance drive on 12th and exit drive on Charlotte. The routes that serve the new transit center on 12th Street will be in a bus-only contraflow lane on all westbound/inbound trips (with two-way cycletrack).
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

DaveKCMO wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:49 am It's more space, plus we're able to go to a single entrance drive on 12th and exit drive on Charlotte. The routes that serve the new transit center on 12th Street will be in a bus-only contraflow lane on all westbound/inbound trips (with two-way cycletrack).
=D> Shall we just go ahead and bring this all the way across the loop? :D
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

We specialize in one block bike Lanes here sir.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Looks nice but small. I still think KC needs a large central transit center near the streetcar though, like near Union Station where nearly all the downtown bus routes can converge, including suburban commuter routes.

This next statement will be harsh, but it's reality.

This will mostly serve east side routes and pretty much only east side routes. It's also on the less desirable east side of downtown. Therefore, you will have a lot of loitering etc. I honestly see this potentially harming development on the east side of downtown (market rate housing etc). This area already has the city union mission and greyhound bus station. I'm just not sure a stand alone transit center serving east side only bus routes is going to really help the area much. I'm just being honest here, so don't shoot me. Just don't be surprised if pretty much nothing is proposed for the empty lots in this area in the coming years even though there was a major investment in transit there. I base this mostly off seeing similar transit centers in other cities.

Now if this transit center was part of a large mixed use development, it might be different. I have seen some nice transit centers that blend into built up urban areas and include residential etc. I guess it's a start, but to me, this looks like something that should be much further east while downtown would have a much larger transit center that is better connected to all of downtown's bus routes and the streetcar.

Still good to see the investment though.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

KCPowercat wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:28 pm We specialize in one block bike Lanes here sir.
*shakes fist at sky*
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

KCPowercat wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:28 pm We specialize in one block bike Lanes here sir.
Should run the cycle track all the way down and across the 12 street viaduct and then over the Central St Viaduct into Strawberry Hill. That would be a nice ride and the roads are well below capacity to make room for a cycle way.
JLowe2018
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by JLowe2018 »

Why wasn’t this located on a lot between 11th and 12th Streets, in order to be in the middle of the 11th/12th couplet system?

IMO this would have made a lot more sense logistically.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

GRID wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:59 pmLooks nice but small. I still think KC needs a large central transit center near the streetcar though, like near Union Station where nearly all the downtown bus routes can converge, including suburban commuter routes.
It's as big as it needs to be, given that most downtown transfers in our system happen on the street at 11th/12th and grand. Also, a system redesign next year may place less emphasis on downtown transfers.
This will mostly serve east side routes and pretty much only east side routes. It's also on the less desirable east side of downtown. Therefore, you will have a lot of loitering etc. I honestly see this potentially harming development on the east side of downtown (market rate housing etc). This area already has the city union mission and greyhound bus station. I'm just not sure a stand alone transit center serving east side only bus routes is going to really help the area much. I'm just being honest here, so don't shoot me. Just don't be surprised if pretty much nothing is proposed for the empty lots in this area in the coming years even though there was a major investment in transit there. I base this mostly off seeing similar transit centers in other cities.
That's a bold proclamation considering you don't know which routes will serve EVTC directly.
Now if this transit center was part of a large mixed use development, it might be different. I have seen some nice transit centers that blend into built up urban areas and include residential etc. I guess it's a start, but to me, this looks like something that should be much further east while downtown would have a much larger transit center that is better connected to all of downtown's bus routes and the streetcar.
We're not done with announcements at this site. ;-)
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

KCATA Hopes New Transit Center Will Spur East Village Redevelopment

https://cityscenekc.com/kcata-hopes-new ... _kzbqn9gTg
The new transit center at 12th and Charlotte will replace the KCATA’s current downtown transit center at 10th and Main streets. Discussions are underway about its future reuse.

“I believe the city and the Downtown Council are talking about making it a green space,” Makinen said. “That being so, we want to make sure the FTA investment is taken out of it.”
Why is the default proposal always to take a vacated parcel and add green space? :roll:

We already have under-utilized green spaces/parks downtown: Ilus Davis Park, Oppenheimer Park, Barney Allis Plaza. Oh, and KCMO has a terrible history maintaining parks.

Any green space here will end up being where everyone living within four blocks takes their dog to crap and piss. If a big litter box is what is needed, then build that, and have someone maintain the community dog litter box. Call it what it is. Own it.

Members of the jury. please click here for evidence of the crimes I've described.

https://tinyurl.com/y7vhfvrr

Ilus Davis Park might someday become a nice gathering place if we can ever fill the East Village with apartments. That, and if we might do something to make people actually feel comfortable spending time there. There are no benches--only concrete ledges where it's not very comfortable to sit for long. It's just not a park I have ever felt I wanted to linger in.

KCMO Parks and Recreation, please see Bryant Park in New York City for ideas.

http://bryantpark.org/the-park
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

FangKC wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:07 am
Why is the default proposal always to take a vacated parcel and add green space? :roll:

We already have under-utilized green spaces/parks downtown: Ilus Davis Park, Oppenheimer Park, Barney Allis Plaza. Oh, and KCMO has a terrible history maintaining parks.

Any green space here will end up being where everyone living within four blocks takes their dog to crap and piss. If a big litter box is what is needed, then build that, and have someone maintain the community dog litter box. Call it what it is. Own it.
Because a local banker who has a fountain on this site wants a pleasant view and for the fountain to be preserved. Therefore DTC has jumped immediately to the conclusion that "it's what the neighborhood wants". What the neighborhood wants is more retail, preferably on the ground level of a new office building.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

FangKC wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:07 am
Members of the jury. please click here for evidence of the crimes I've described.

https://tinyurl.com/y7vhfvrr

If you zoom in on Street View you can clearly see that he has a poo bag in his hand. Making this one of the few good guys.