Hyperloop between KC and STL

Transportation topics in KC
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Re: Hyperloop between KC and STL

Post by DaveKCMO »

https://virginhyperloop.com/press/west-virginia-hcc
“Today is one of the most exciting days in Virgin Hyperloop’s history,” said Sir Richard Branson, Founder of the Virgin Group. “The Hyperloop Certification Center is the start of the hyperloop journey for West Virginia, for the United States, and for the world. We’re one step closer to making hyperloop travel a reality for people everywhere.”
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

DaveKCMO wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:37 am https://virginhyperloop.com/press/west-virginia-hcc
“Today is one of the most exciting days in Virgin Hyperloop’s history,” said Sir Richard Branson, Founder of the Virgin Group. “The Hyperloop Certification Center is the start of the hyperloop journey for West Virginia, for the United States, and for the world. We’re one step closer to making hyperloop travel a reality for people everywhere.”
Wonderful, now Missouri can get serious about trains and not this scam.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

This is just the certification center, not the revenue route (which is still alive).
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

DaveKCMO wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 4:58 pm This is just the certification center, not the revenue route (which is still alive).
An Urban STL poster said that the main proponent in Missouri lost funding and the group's leader left.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

DaveKCMO wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 4:58 pm This is just the certification center, not the revenue route (which is still alive).
News from STL is that only KC Tech Council backed a route from Kansas CIty to STL. STL put their weight behind a route to Chicago (and are blaming KC for their loss).
St. Louis pitched a site near St. Louis Lambert International Airport for the testing center, with a track running along Interstate 270 toward the Chain of Rocks Bridge. In that scenario, a commercial route would run to Chicago, possibly even to O'Hare or Midway international airports, Smith said, adding that the Illinois Department of Transportation and Chicago Metropolitan Agency for Planning expressed interest in such a plan.

Kansas City also submitted a bid, through the KC Tech Council, envisioning a commercial route between Kansas City and St. Louis. That further complicated state support. Having two bids in one state "limits the ability of the state to fully commit," Smith said.
https://www.bizjournals.com/stlouis/new ... ailed.html
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

The blame game is strong with this one.

I'm honestly not disappointed. It's crazy expensive and it's unproven technology. We need to focus and invest in our passenger rail service here before we even consider a tube.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

If tech like that could replace plain old decent rail service, I think we would've seen it in places like Japan or Europe by now.
tower
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by tower »

Everyone involved in this bid should have known it was ridiculous, but this would have been so transformative that they deluded themselves into thinking there was a chance. Now they are looking for something to blame. This reminds me of the Amazon HQ2 thing, except offices are a technology that actually exist.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Hyperloop Company shutting down. Musk is starting to look kind of like a snakeoil salesman
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

Here’s hoping the tech bros and self-described Futurists can become obsessed with real high speed rail now
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

brewcrew1000 wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 3:28 pm Hyperloop Company shutting down. Musk is starting to look kind of like a snakeoil salesman
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... nt-transit
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

DaveKCMO wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 4:01 pm
brewcrew1000 wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 3:28 pm Hyperloop Company shutting down. Musk is starting to look kind of like a snakeoil salesman
Is this actually a different company? I didn't realize there were more then one hyperloop companies
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Good that this is now fully dying. I can't see how anyone would take this as a legitimate transportation service if it were built. Between the speed, windowless capsules, and the stress a constant vacuum would place on the tubes, it seemed like a disaster waiting to happen.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

brewcrew1000 wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 4:05 pm
DaveKCMO wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 4:01 pm
Is this actually a different company? I didn't realize there were more then one hyperloop companies
Musk promoted the technology and is having success with his Boring Company's tunnels. As far as I know, he has nothing to do with Hyperloop One.

Also, he's an inventor so he's going to have more failures than successes. At least he's trying to do things that IF they work, will truly help humanity. I don't understand the hate he gets.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

I wish Missouri would take some of the work it commissioned on Hyperloop feasibility and carry it forward in studying new rail options between KC and STL. I'm not certain what the work product was from those efforts, but surely some of it could be reused in the future (not the vacuum tube parts, haha).
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

DColeKC wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 9:03 pm
brewcrew1000 wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 4:05 pm
Musk promoted the technology and is having success with his Boring Company's tunnels. As far as I know, he has nothing to do with Hyperloop One.

Also, he's an inventor so he's going to have more failures than successes. At least he's trying to do things that IF they work, will truly help humanity. I don't understand the hate he gets.
You should check out John Oliver's piece on Musk that came out last Sunday. I think it explains pretty well the issues around Musk, kind of concludes with a "jury's still out" sort of take. Also isn't the Boring Company's main skill in building cheaper tunnels just that they are building them smaller and without appropriate safety features? Have you checked out the Vegas tunnel? It is pretty silly, but obviously if anyone is able to develop a cheaper, faster way to construct tunnels that would be fantastic for all of us.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Was reading about the bright line project and I know nothing about high speed rail.

How safe is it?

How do they prevent attacks? For example, only way to utilize a plane for an attack is to hijack it or plant something on it.

Wouldn’t the entire rail system be much easier to plant a device on? Have other countries suffered any attacks on high speed rail?
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

It’s possible to mitigate a bomb/gun/hijacking situation on high speed rail. I’ve been on Eurostar and Brightline. Both require passengers to pass their bags through an X-ray system which looks for these sorts of things.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 2:53 pm It’s possible to mitigate a bomb/gun/hijacking situation on high speed rail. I’ve been on Eurostar and Brightline. Both require passengers to pass their bags through an X-ray system which looks for these sorts of things.
But what about the tracks themselves. That would be a larger concern and easier target.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Not any different than our current rail system, oil pipelines or bridges and highways.

Combination of cameras, fencing and security?