Bird Scooters Have Landed

Transportation topics in KC
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Re: Bird Scooters Have Landed

Post by beautyfromashes »

flyingember wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:03 pm
beautyfromashes wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 4:07 pm I'd much rather see a fine to operators when they park the scooters in a row blocking the sidewalk.
How do you prove they parked in the row? The scooters can be moved after they’re parked.
Geotracked. Unless you think someone would move them into a row, without paying to ride them, into the sidewalk with the sole purpose of blocking the sidewalk. Of course, I'm fine with a call to the companies by the city simply telling them to straighten out their placement person with some threat that would never happen just to light the smallest of fires. Just a phone call that someone with some power is actually paying attention instead of watching the sunset from the roof.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: Bird Scooters Have Landed

Post by flyingember »

beautyfromashes wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 1:02 am
flyingember wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:03 pm
beautyfromashes wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 4:07 pm I'd much rather see a fine to operators when they park the scooters in a row blocking the sidewalk.
How do you prove they parked in the row? The scooters can be moved after they’re parked.
Geotracked. Unless you think someone would move them into a row, without paying to ride them, into the sidewalk with the sole purpose of blocking the sidewalk. Of course, I'm fine with a call to the companies by the city simply telling them to straighten out their placement person with some threat that would never happen just to light the smallest of fires. Just a phone call that someone with some power is actually paying attention instead of watching the sunset from the roof.
Geotracking works to a confidence level. 16-33 feet accuracy means they could be moved several car lengths and no one would ever be able to prove it didn’t get moved. Garmin says 49 foot accuracy 95% of the time so it could be worse than that.

The iPhone using WiFi is to within a few meters, so greater than the width of any sidewalk

In other words geo tracking tells nothing as to where someone left the scooter other than in a general sense that it’s halfway up a block.