Phase Three Streetcar Expansion

Transportation topics in KC

What route should the third phase of streetcar expansion follow?

Linwood: Main to Michigan(71 Highway)
8%
Country Club ROW: UMKC to Brookside/Waldo
24%
Country Club ROW: UMKC through Brookside/Waldo to Prospect
14%
Linwood: Main to Emanuel Cleaver 2
9%
City/County Wide Rail Project
36%
Other
8%

Total votes: 85

normalthings
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Re: Phase Three Streetcar Expansion

Post by normalthings »

flyingember wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:46 pm
DaveKCMO wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:24 pm
normalthings wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:13 pm
Are longer platforms a consideration at all on Mainstreet if prices come in below expected? Or is the emphasis more on spending extra funds on more vehicles
No. Just run more service. This region has no idea what high frequency transit can really be like. There are bus routes in larger cities with 3-5 minute headways. Streetcar topped out at 8m when running four vehicles and the most frequent MAX route was 10m (and that won't return for awhile until sales tax revenue improves -- max is 15m now).
I would much rather see more vehicles myself.

People hate waiting in the weather. If you know the next train is 5 minutes away it seems far more likely someone will decide they're happy to wait on the next train if they get unlucky and miss one.
I'm on board with more vehicles. Would also think that buying more upfront today could be used for future extensions. IE. Buy 3 extra today and need 3 less for a Linwood extension

DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

normalthings wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:04 pm
flyingember wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:46 pm
DaveKCMO wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:24 pm

No. Just run more service. This region has no idea what high frequency transit can really be like. There are bus routes in larger cities with 3-5 minute headways. Streetcar topped out at 8m when running four vehicles and the most frequent MAX route was 10m (and that won't return for awhile until sales tax revenue improves -- max is 15m now).
I would much rather see more vehicles myself.

People hate waiting in the weather. If you know the next train is 5 minutes away it seems far more likely someone will decide they're happy to wait on the next train if they get unlucky and miss one.
I'm on board with more vehicles. Would also think that buying more upfront today could be used for future extensions. IE. Buy 3 extra today and need 3 less for a Linwood extension
You can do that with local money, but not really federal money. They don't want agencies to exceed a certain ratio of spares.

WoodDraw
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by WoodDraw »

I agree with more vehicles. Getting the headways under ten minutes makes a huge difference. Even if you just miss one then and it's a nice day, you stroll to the next station. Or just wait.

It's a killer when you walk out of some place and see a ~15 wait though.