Phase Three Streetcar Expansion

Transportation topics in KC

What route should the third phase of streetcar expansion follow?

Linwood: Main to Michigan(71 Highway)
10%
Country Club ROW: UMKC to Brookside/Waldo
22%
Country Club ROW: UMKC through Brookside/Waldo to Prospect
13%
Linwood: Main to Emanuel Cleaver 2
12%
City/County Wide Rail Project
36%
Other
8%

Total votes: 111

Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Re: Phase Three Streetcar Expansion

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

alejandro46 wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:33 pm Clay:
  • HOA bridge up Burlington to North Oak, continuing up dedicated ROW to Cookingham Dr, follow Cookingham to KCI.
This project I can see definitely jumpstarting a spine of TOD at three major junctures. Vivion Rd intersection, Engelwood Rd intersection, and 72nd St intersection. Very similar to how the Armour intersection is currently fleshing out. I could imagine that scale or maybe larger at those three, but I feel as though this project loses viability as street running pedestrian accelerator any further north of this, you’d have to put it in a dedicated ROW, or acquire land and create a more direct route to the airport to have any shot of finding any money outside of local funding mechanisms. As much as we love to dream of the possibilities I just don’t see this alignment coming anytime soon. Love the ideas you’ve put forward though, this one is definitely not along the same train of thought as everyone else!
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:08 am
alejandro46 wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:33 pm Clay:
  • HOA bridge up Burlington to North Oak, continuing up dedicated ROW to Cookingham Dr, follow Cookingham to KCI.
This project I can see definitely jumpstarting a spine of TOD at three major junctures. Vivion Rd intersection, Engelwood Rd intersection, and 72nd St intersection. Very similar to how the Armour intersection is currently fleshing out. I could imagine that scale or maybe larger at those three, but I feel as though this project loses viability as street running pedestrian accelerator any further north of this, you’d have to put it in a dedicated ROW, or acquire land and create a more direct route to the airport to have any shot of finding any money outside of local funding mechanisms. As much as we love to dream of the possibilities I just don’t see this alignment coming anytime soon. Love the ideas you’ve put forward though, this one is definitely not along the same train of thought as everyone else!
If the region runs a BRT and or Street car infrastructure up North, I think it would be a worthwhile exercise to determine if its worth connecting to the Airport in a different route from the i-29 express.I
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

If we started with BRT, maybe the city could get rid of set backs, and zone for multi family. North oak could be a really strong backbone for the northland but at the moment I think it’s way to low density to have a streetcar. Even if you only ran it from north KC to Englewood, and magically didn’t have to pay for a bridge. Just getting better public transit in the northland and a denser Street I think would go a long way to changing the minds of the northlanders
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

Riverite wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:26 pm If we started with BRT, maybe the city could get rid of set backs, and zone for multi family. North oak could be a really strong backbone for the northland but at the moment I think it’s way to low density to have a streetcar. Even if you only ran it from north KC to Englewood, and magically didn’t have to pay for a bridge. Just getting better public transit in the northland and a denser Street I think would go a long way to changing the minds of the northlanders
Absolutely agree with that. In my experience with the transit over in Europe, I’ve seen the way their transportation developed more organically than planned, and I feel starting with BRT on this route would go a long way to swaying some suburban minded people to come around to public transit, and eventually be a primary spine for transit in the northland.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Riverite wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:26 pm If we started with BRT, maybe the city could get rid of set backs, and zone for multi family. North oak could be a really strong backbone for the northland but at the moment I think it’s way to low density to have a streetcar. Even if you only ran it from north KC to Englewood, and magically didn’t have to pay for a bridge. Just getting better public transit in the northland and a denser Street I think would go a long way to changing the minds of the northlanders
Keep in mind that Crestview is *denser* in population than parts of the east side today. NKC is even more dense in apartments, dupluxes and apartments, but you wouldn't know it from Burlington. 64116 is the poorest zip code in the northland and that's with Briarcliff West $500k+ homes.

It's very chicken and egg. A major problem is how horrible the bus stops are. The recent N. Oak upgrade south of Indianola was a huge improvement over what was there before. You wouldn't ride the bus if you had to stand on a non-existent shoulder next to 50mph traffic and no safe way to cross.

NKC's cycle track plans will also upgrade bus stops. The stop right at NE 32nd is especially sad, especially since it's right next to senior living, a population which bus ridership is enabling.

Start with the stops, increase frequency and rezone the corridor to require denser development with the next cycle. The most obvious need is to make it possible to shop on the weekend using the bus, hourly isn't cutting it.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Found this on the BNIM website from North Rail. Does anyone know how much the NKC light rail tax was raising before its repeal?

flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

normalthings wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:11 pm Found this on the BNIM website from North Rail. Does anyone know how much the NKC light rail tax was raising before its repeal?
$0.

http://nkc.org/common/pages/DisplayFile ... Id=7704212
At the first meeting of the Board, on January 29, 2009, the Board, as required by law, took the
following actions: (i) selected a chairman; (ii) defined the first and subsequent fiscal years of the TDD;
and (iii) adopted a corporate seal. Since the voters of Kansas City, Missouri had failed to approve the
light rail in Kansas City, 2 the Board never passed a resolution enacting the Sales Tax nor did it
subsequently submit a certified copy of the resolution to the Missouri Director of Revenue after passing
the resolution. Consequently, the Sales Tax never became effective in North Kansas City.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Last edited by normalthings on Mon May 18, 2020 5:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

flyingember wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:13 am
normalthings wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:11 pm Found this on the BNIM website from North Rail. Does anyone know how much the NKC light rail tax was raising before its repeal?
$0.

I guess I meant to say: "How much would it have raised?"
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

These renderings of NKC Streetcar were shared with me recently. I am not sure when they are from.

Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

I like that it’s center running
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

I see an early design for the NKC entry arch that was put in a few years ago, which means these renderings are even older
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

NorthRail study: https://kcstreetcar.org/wp-content/uplo ... ly2014.pdf

Anything after that is not official.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

normalthings wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 5:55 am These renderings of NKC Streetcar were shared with me recently. I am not sure when they are from.

B&M was involved with these renderings
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

DaveKCMO wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 8:17 pm NorthRail study: https://kcstreetcar.org/wp-content/uplo ... ly2014.pdf

Anything after that is not official.
What ever became of this study’s conclusion? I mean after all they work put into it, did they just shelve the idea For the foreseeable future? Or is there any possibility that this could be brought forward again in the near future?
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

From what I remember from the meetings, it needs state involvement to cross the river. That portion cost a huge percentage of the overall cost.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Ultimately, the NKC council balked at the cost. Otherwise the state would have come along on the bridge. They’re investing in bus infrastructure in Burlington now.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

langosta wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 3:35 am
normalthings wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 5:55 am These renderings of NKC Streetcar were shared with me recently. I am not sure when they are from.
B&M was involved with these renderings
yea, 99% sure these were produced by B&M (or partner) for the City of North Kansas City.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

DaveKCMO wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 3:51 pm Ultimately, the NKC council balked at the cost. Otherwise the state would have come along on the bridge. They’re investing in bus infrastructure in Burlington now.
unfortunate. would really like to see at least 1 additional line outside of River-UMKC
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Bill on Governor's desk would require CIDs and TDDs get approved by the entire population of a city.

CERTAIN TAXING DISTRICTS (Section 67.1545, 238.207, 238.235, & 238.237)

Current law authorizes community improvement districts (CIDs) and transportation development districts (TDDs) to impose a sales tax on purchases made within such districts if approved by a majority of voters living withing the district. This bill requires such sales taxes to be approved by a majority of the voters of the municipality in which the district is located. Additionally, current law authorizes TDDs to charge and collect tolls or fees for the use of a project if approved by a majority of voters within the district. This bill requires such tolls or fees to be approved by a majority of voters within the municipality in which the TDD is located.

https://www.house.mo.gov/Bill.aspx?bill ... 020&code=R

Tell Parsons to VETO: https://governor.mo.gov/contact-us
Last edited by normalthings on Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.