Downtown Loop

Transportation topics in KC
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Re: Downtown Loop

Post by FangKC »

The City might also remain involved in ownership. For example, if a parking garage is constructed in the trench, and an office building is built on top. The city might finance the building of the parking garage base, and retain ownership of that part only.

I believe the City owns the land the Power & Light District is built on, and leased the development rights to Cordish. I can't remember the exact details of the arrangement.

I think that if for some reason, Cordish defaulted on the Power & Light District, or the company itself went bankrupt, the City would take back complete control of the district. Then it would be free to select another real estate developer to run it.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

I didn't think to check that.

The city owns the entire block where the sports events have been held, whatever it's named right now, and the entire block with the president except for the hotel. The retail only parts basically.

Cornish owns the parcels with the present and future apartment buildings, including the midland
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Keep in mind that it doesn't matter if Cordish owns the land right now. I think that since the City is responsible for bonds that have financed much of the development, if Cordish defaulted, the property would revert back to the City. Much like when you buy a house, your name appears on the county's property database as the owner, but since you have a mortgage, if you default, it goes back to the bank.

One might need to go look at the property deed, so see what types of liens are on them.