Uber/Lyft ride-sharing in Kansas City

Transportation topics in KC
TheSmokinPun
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Re: Uber/Lyft ride-sharing in Kansas City

Post by TheSmokinPun »

Fun story, bus in Newark was awful, they didn't post anything online or on the bus stop I was waiting at on Saturday night in the cold pouring rain that they'd closed that stop the previous night forever. Wasn't til one of the workers at the hotel I was staying at walked by and informed me. Tried to get a cab to take me the 15 mins to my hotel but he said he'd have to charge the airport fare since it was near it, $25 automatic charge. Laughed, got on Uber, $5, tipped the driver $3 for getting there quick and having the heat on.

Business is killing it in NYC, would have only been $25 from Newark to Manhattan compared to a cab for at least $50.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

You know when Uber/Lyft enter a new market and there is all this outrage from Taxi companies, etc. The Taxi companies throwing up a huge ruckus are giving these companies tons and tons of free advertising, maybe Uber and Lyft want this controversy. The anti regulation/free market people are probably more likely to ride uber or lyft after hearing a story on the news because of the taxi mafi/monopoly, etc that they have established.

The Taxi companies would have been better off just letting these companies move in, create no kind of stink about it. This would have lead to less news cover, less controversy, less free advertising etc. Its possible Uber and Lyft exit the certain markets due to no demand. The taxi companies could have let stories like Uber Drivers Assaulting or raping someone or Bad Uber kills couple dominate headlines instead of this company moving in and the taxi companies protesting there existence. The taxi companies kind of screwed themselves over.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

I would be curious to know if anyone on this forum is informed as to the qualifications and requirements for new cab drivers?

In Kansas City, it's my default reaction when driving and approaching a cab to slow down and anticipate some form of bizarre driving behavior. This includes their driving at extremely slow speed, erratic sudden turns either way, stopping unexpectedly, pulling out equally unexpectedly. These movements have no relationship to potential passengers and seem more related to interacting with other cabbies. I would swear that many of these drivers have nearly no experience behind the wheel. This is part of the reason why I have reluctance to take a cab in KC, though I'm quick to make use of them in other cities.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

loftguy wrote:I would be curious to know if anyone on this forum is informed as to the qualifications and requirements for new cab drivers?

In Kansas City, it's my default reaction when driving and approaching a cab to slow down and anticipate some form of bizarre driving behavior. This includes their driving at extremely slow speed, erratic sudden turns either way, stopping unexpectedly, pulling out equally unexpectedly. These movements have no relationship to potential passengers and seem more related to interacting with other cabbies. I would swear that many of these drivers have nearly no experience behind the wheel. This is part of the reason why I have reluctance to take a cab in KC, though I'm quick to make use of them in other cities.
I am not really prejudiced, but I believe many of these taxi drivers are recent immigrants who are coming from countries that have very different driving conditions and styles. If you've ever been to an African, Middle Eastern or South American country, you might agree.

I should take this opportunity to mention that, despite my forum handle, I am in no way associated with any of these companies nor the transportation and livery industry. I have, though, thankfully retrieved roadkill for which they were responsible.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

So Uber definitely works well in central KC; highly recommended. Took two trips last Saturday, including one from the mutual musician's foundation around 5AM, and the car was there within 5 minutes, clean, and driven by a respectable and courteous fellow. I continue to be impressed by the service - happy it works as well in KC (at least downtown) as my experience when travelling.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

XL service (6 pax SUV) now available.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

rxlexi wrote:So Uber definitely works well in central KC; highly recommended. Took two trips last Saturday, including one from the mutual musician's foundation around 5AM, and the car was there within 5 minutes, clean, and driven by a respectable and courteous fellow. I continue to be impressed by the service - happy it works as well in KC (at least downtown) as my experience when travelling.
that's what naysayers just don't get --- it beats the quality and service of any taxi in any city, hands down (except maybe london, which actually has certification). the market will choose uber (or similar competitors), which is why their valuation is so high.
kucer
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by kucer »

DaveKCMO wrote:
rxlexi wrote:So Uber definitely works well in central KC; highly recommended. Took two trips last Saturday, including one from the mutual musician's foundation around 5AM, and the car was there within 5 minutes, clean, and driven by a respectable and courteous fellow. I continue to be impressed by the service - happy it works as well in KC (at least downtown) as my experience when travelling.
that's what naysayers just don't get --- it beats the quality and service of any taxi in any city, hands down (except maybe london, which actually has certification). the market will choose uber (or similar competitors), which is why their valuation is so high.
Totally agree. We used Uber in Chicago over the past few days and it was perfect. Even getting picked up from Field Museum and Museum of Science & Industry only took 2 minutes. Utlized UberXL to get to the airport...great option to have.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Chicago Yellow Cab filed for bankruptcy after losing a lawsuit, but Lyft/Uber competition probably not helping either.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

This was relayed to me via "friend of a friend" so take that for what it's worth, but I heard that one local PD has noticed a 30% drop in DUI arrests since Uber started operating.

I've been pretty impressed with the service so far. I live north of the river so you'd think I'd have trouble catching one from home, but it's very rare that I get the dreaded "No UberX Available" message. The two times that I have, one came within flagging range within ten minutes.

When I'm downtown and ready to go home, I don't push that button until I'm walking out the door because they are there pretty much immediately.

(My only bad experience so far was one inept driver who was completely lost the entire time and nearly got us hit twice. I wish the app had a way to leave useful text feedback with the star rating.)
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

punching in the destination before you get in the car seems to really help....the uber drivers typically have no idea where they are going.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

KCPowercat wrote:punching in the destination before you get in the car seems to really help....the uber drivers typically have no idea where they are going.
Oh, I always do that. This driver was just... bad. Picking me up, he drove right past the block that I was on, then called me to say that there was no way to get to the street that I was on and asked me what I needed him to do. ("Turn right... did you turn right yet? Okay, not turn right again. See that person standing in the middle of the street on his phone? That's me. Not, not that person. No, not that person either keep coming, the one that is waving at you..."). Then, despite my destination being punched in, he missed every turn his GPS directed him to. He failed to yield merging onto the freeway and nearly got us hit, then later drifted into the adjacent lane forcing a semi to swerve. He was continuously in whichever lane he needed to not be in, and at one point slowed down to 45mph in a 65mph zone because he seemed so unsure of himself. I'll be hitting cancel if I ever see this driver pop up again!

The driver I had before him, though, was very knowledgeable and disregarded her GPS because she knew what events were going on downtown and what streets to avoid due to the likelihood of congestion. She got a nice fat tip. :)
kucer
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by kucer »

scooterj wrote:
(My only bad experience so far was one inept driver who was completely lost the entire time and nearly got us hit twice. I wish the app had a way to leave useful text feedback with the star rating.)
I only left star ratings, but I could have sworn I saw a button at the bottom left of that screen that said "Submit Feedback". I assume that might be what you were looking for unless it's for general Uber feedback.
cknab1
Ambassador

Post by cknab1 »

scooterj wrote:

The driver I had before him, though, was very knowledgeable and disregarded her GPS because she knew what events were going on downtown and what streets to avoid due to the likelihood of congestion. She got a nice fat tip. :)
So, should you add a tip normally or just when someone has went above and beyond? I didn't tip using Uber in LA and San Diego, but that felt very strange to me. I haven't used Uber in KC yet.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

cknab1 wrote:
scooterj wrote:

So, should you add a tip normally or just when someone has went above and beyond? I didn't tip using Uber in LA and San Diego, but that felt very strange to me. I haven't used Uber in KC yet.
I'm of the opinion that workers should be paid a fair wage based on their work quality and if they don't do a good job they get fired, or in Uber's case they don't get jobs.

So then tips are about rewarding going above and beyond. Make them into something you can't count on to live off of, they become a bonus.

We're not there yet as a society which makes this very much case by case based on the company.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

flyingember wrote:
cknab1 wrote:
scooterj wrote:

I'm of the opinion that workers should be paid a fair wage based on their work quality and if they don't do a good job they get fired, or in Uber's case they don't get jobs.

So then tips are about rewarding going above and beyond. Make them into something you can't count on to live off of, they become a bonus.

We're not there yet as a society which makes this very much case by case based on the company.
I agree. People should be paid what it takes to make a living (or put another way- the cost to deliver the service/product should be built into the pricing). I'm not a fan of our tipping society.

Edit: though i do begrudgingly participate...I'm not gonna stiff someone a tip just to make a societal point.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cknab1
Ambassador

Post by cknab1 »

This is a cut and paste from Uber's website

You don’t need cash when you ride with Uber. Once you arrive at your destination, your fare is automatically charged to your credit card on file — there’s no need to tip.

I had thought when I signed up that it said the tip is included, but I don't see that now. I have absolutely no problem tipping but I don't want to double tip either. It is nice not having to have the right change for tipping or even getting your wallet of of your pocket.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

Lyft (which is not currently operating in KC) had the ability to add a tip. With Uber I've never tipped b/c there was no option to tip and I never have cash.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

I started searching and this is a huge confusing area. This article says it best
http://www.businessinsider.com/ubers-dr ... res-2014-9
They claim except for one service there's no tips given.

So I would say that if you feel the driver did such a good job they deserve a few dollars more you should carry cash and give it at your discretion. Consider that you were ok with the advertised price but the service was so good you want to reward it with more money. Does it matter if you're double tipping at that point?

if you like Uber more than their competitors how much a driver earns will determine who they drive for. So if you like one system more be prepared to give tips when using it. And that might mean carrying cash.