OFFICIAL - Buck O'Neil Bridge

Transportation topics in KC
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Re: New Broadway Bridge

Post by TheLastGentleman »

All I care about is whether it facilitates removing the north loop. I don't even care about what it looks like.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

What about the comment that the cost was estimated at 200 mil previously?
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Hope the design takes into account the shifting conditions of the riverbed. Because of the constricted current of the narrowed river there has been scouring of the riverbed so that the river is actually cutting down to a lower level. This can endanger the piers in the water, their pilings only go down so far. I have a suspicion that the B.O/Broadway is close to being catastrophically affected.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

moderne wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:25 pm Hope the design takes into account the shifting conditions of the riverbed. Because of the constricted current of the narrowed river there has been scouring of the riverbed so that the river is actually cutting down to a lower level. This can endanger the piers in the water, their pilings only go down so far. I have a suspicion that the B.O/Broadway is close to being catastrophically affected.
I thought that is one of the significant public problems with the bridge
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

All estimates were $180M +

This is concerning if that reporting of the budget is accurate
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:19 pm All I care about is whether it facilitates removing the north loop. I don't even care about what it looks like.
Agreed
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

KCPowercat wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:03 am
TheLastGentleman wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:19 pm All I care about is whether it facilitates removing the north loop. I don't even care about what it looks like.
Agreed
Concur
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

KCPowercat wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:03 am
Agreed
Agreed, the LAST thing we need is to spend extra money on a spaghetti interchange with i-70 when we could better use that money to get rid of the N. Loop and bring 9NWY at-grade.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

From what I'm reading it sounds like the preference is Central alignment and the money is there for that which should open up all the 9 highway and north loop options.

Let's hope.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

normalthings wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:02 pm
KCPowercat wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:47 pm Fingers crossed
Price Tag: $100 million

MARC: $40 million
KCMO and MO to split the rest.

So really this is cutting down the project so that MO State doesn't have to pay their share. :(

IIRC, all of the proposals involved a sizable interchange around I35. Ideally, this shoots straight into I35 with no oversized interchange.
wow, 100 million will barely put up a decent bridge, let alone an interesting looking bridge and improvements to the north loop. Why is everything in KC done so cheap? So they can come back and do stuff again in 3 years? I can't believe what's going on with I-70 by the stadiums. Every time I'm in KC, they are doing some shitty band-aid project that tears up a part of a project that was just finished. Spend years refurbishing bridges near Manchaster, than proceed to tear them out and build new, then rebuild 435 interchange, now doing it again. And it will still look all dated and in need of a complete rebuild once the current project is done. 70 needed to be totally rebuilt 20 years ago and they are still just messing with it. I fear the same thing will happen if they start messing with the downtown loop. May as well just leave it alone.

I personally hope they just make the bridge nice and stop trying to making everything a 60mph highway. Who cares about the 35 connection? Make downtown walkable again. Stop making more flyovers and high speed ramps. It's the Broadway Bridge, not the Interstate 169 Bridge.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

100M was reported incorrectly. It's at least 210M

Routing traffic directly to 35 makes this whole situation more walkable.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

KCPowercat wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:58 am 100M was reported incorrectly. It's at least 210M

The 35 direct options includes a spaghetti interchange. The center option didn’t look any better. I want a direct 35 connection but with no interchange.

Edit: More then 20% of new infrastructure funds will go to STL Metro. I wonder how that stacks up to KC.
Eon Blue
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Eon Blue »

normalthings wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:47 pm
The 35 direct options includes a spaghetti interchange. The center option didn’t look any better. I want a direct 35 connection but with no interchange.
You can't have a direct connection without either an interchange or re-aligning I-35 to come across the river on the new bridge. The latter would be beacoup work north of the river, so the likely alternative to an interchange would be signals like we have now.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

KCPowercat wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:58 am 100M was reported incorrectly. It's at least 210M

Edit: More then 20% of new infrastructure funds will go to STL Metro. I wonder how that stacks up to KC.
I'm not following. If we want this bridge to connect to i35 and Broadway there has to be an interchange somewhere doesn't there?
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

KCPowercat wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:27 pm

I'm not following. If we want this bridge to connect to i35 and Broadway there has to be an interchange somewhere doesn't there?
The idea is to keep the flyover ramps and make users exit into downtown other places, like 12th St by not builing the ramps to/from Broadway.

The idea being this project should enable removing the north loop and get people used to other routes.

Since a huge number of people take 169 to 70 EB it's not a bad thought but it also makes it harder to get into downtown
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

GRID wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:38 am
normalthings wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:02 pm
KCPowercat wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:47 pm Fingers crossed
Price Tag: $100 million

MARC: $40 million
KCMO and MO to split the rest.

So really this is cutting down the project so that MO State doesn't have to pay their share. :(

IIRC, all of the proposals involved a sizable interchange around I35. Ideally, this shoots straight into I35 with no oversized interchange.
wow, 100 million will barely put up a decent bridge, let alone an interesting looking bridge and improvements to the north loop. Why is everything in KC done so cheap? So they can come back and do stuff again in 3 years? I can't believe what's going on with I-70 by the stadiums. Every time I'm in KC, they are doing some shitty band-aid project that tears up a part of a project that was just finished. Spend years refurbishing bridges near Manchaster, than proceed to tear them out and build new, then rebuild 435 interchange, now doing it again. And it will still look all dated and in need of a complete rebuild once the current project is done. 70 needed to be totally rebuilt 20 years ago and they are still just messing with it. I fear the same thing will happen if they start messing with the downtown loop. May as well just leave it alone.

I personally hope they just make the bridge nice and stop trying to making everything a 60mph highway. Who cares about the 35 connection? Make downtown walkable again. Stop making more flyovers and high speed ramps. It's the Broadway Bridge, not the Interstate 169 Bridge.
It's a road for cars, why does it have to be iconic looking? Just make it a slab bridge like HOA. Lets spend that money on something useful like removing the north loop. Bond bridge was 25M 10 years ago, it's nothing special to look at and it was supposed to be iconic and unique. It was also supposed to have bike lanes.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

The Bond Bridge only cost $25M? Really? I thought the bridge itself was closer to $75M and the entire project (all of the interchanges up north to the 35/29 split was something like $250M. Maybe I'm completely misremembering. But $25M sounds awfully affordable.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

WSPanic wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:10 pm The Bond Bridge only cost $25M? Really? I thought the bridge itself was closer to $75M and the entire project (all of the interchanges up north to the 35/29 split was something like $250M. Maybe I'm completely misremembering. But $25M sounds awfully affordable.
Originally I had typed 250m but then started to think I was wrong about that. It had to be 250 though, right? 25 wouldn't get you shit.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

flyingember wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:39 pm
KCPowercat wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:27 pm

The idea is to keep the flyover ramps and make users exit into downtown other places, like 12th St by not builing the ramps to/from Broadway.

The idea being this project should enable removing the north loop and get people used to other routes.

Since a huge number of people take 169 to 70 EB it's not a bad thought but it also makes it harder to get into downtown
This project does not need to remove Broadway access to enable removing the north loop.
dakkottadavviss
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by dakkottadavviss »

My top priority, watching this project unfold, is removing the north loop. At the very least they need to make it much more compact and have less exits, like the south loop. But I think I’d be much better to reconnect the street grid with a boulevard. Maybe they could use the trench for buried parking garages or something besides just filling it with dirt. Either way the state will save tons of money in maintenance by removing it.

Leveling highway 9 to at-grade is very important too. I hope they’ll remove that abomination of an interchange with I-70 as well. I’m split between using the excess right of way for a park or new development. It’d be kind of cool to see like an extension of the park strip between locust and oak all the way to the riverfront.

The west alternative is probably best for walk ability and a direct connection to I-35 (which is 100% necessary). It pushes the bridge, and car traffic, west and out of the river market area. My only concern is Broadway traffic using the bridge. They’d have to turn left onto Indep Ave to access the new bridge. With the central alternative it still pushes the bridge away from the river market area and provides a direct connection to Broadway without too much disruption to the street grid.