OFFICIAL - Buck O'Neil Bridge

Transportation topics in KC
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: New Broadway Bridge

Post by normalthings »

beautyfromashes wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:35 pm So, O’Neil is probably the last bridge crossing that will be replaced in at least the next 50 years. It seems the options are:
1. Add one lane streetcar on HOA with cars having to wait for crossing if car coming the other direction. No bike or pedestrian lanes.
2. Use existing ONeil for streetcar, bike and pedestrian taking streetcar out of the way causing slower speeds but perhaps development of north riverfront. Available now.
3. Try to convince federal government to fund new crossing for streetcar. Very unlikely.
1. A single streetcar lane on HOA would also have bike ped lanes. Cars wouldn't be stuck waiting for each other at the proposed service intervals.
2. Existing buck O'Neil would not work for streetcar.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 5:56 pm You could build a short viaduct over the tracks
Why would anyone do this? There's already a bridge over the tracks a block over that is a shorter distance in terms of total track.

It makes zero sense to put a train on a new Broadway Bridge. The total cost of the project would be tens of millions higher
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

flyingember wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:52 am It makes zero sense to put a train on a new Broadway Bridge. The total cost of the project would be tens of millions higher
I'm not saying it's a great plan, just trying to take advantage of a bridge that is already in place. I haven't seen any other plan to bridge the river for passenger rail traffic and am resigned to the likely fact that it won't happen in the next 20+ years.
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

There is already a rail Right of Way leading from HoA bridge. There is no way the old broadway bridge has rail. I also am not in favor of keeping the bridge up. There should be pedestrian and bike lanes on the new bridge.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

beautyfromashes wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:27 am
flyingember wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:52 am It makes zero sense to put a train on a new Broadway Bridge. The total cost of the project would be tens of millions higher
I'm not saying it's a great plan, just trying to take advantage of a bridge that is already in place. I haven't seen any other plan to bridge the river for passenger rail traffic and am resigned to the likely fact that it won't happen in the next 20+ years.
Are you not familiar with North Rail and the HOA? We have already identified the most efficient and affordable way to get trains over the river to NKC.

There is no way to use the Broadway bridge for a streetcar.
Last edited by normalthings on Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

alejandro46 wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:36 pm There is already a rail Right of Way leading from HoA bridge. There is no way the old broadway bridge has rail. I also am not in favor of keeping the bridge up. There should be pedestrian and bike lanes on the new bridge.
HoA has the rail ROW option but wouldn't have to use it. They could just as easily go straight down the street.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

alejandro46 wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:36 pm There is already a rail Right of Way leading from HoA bridge. There is no way the old broadway bridge has rail. I also am not in favor of keeping the bridge up. There should be pedestrian and bike lanes on the new bridge.
There is not rail row leading to the hoa bridge on either end.

North of the river the plan was going to follow the street until somewhere south of 12th and then follow an alley through to 10th and then cut back over to the bridge

South of the river it was going to follow 3rd
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Wes got the renderings and walk through video.

https://www.linecreekloudmouth.com/blog ... ridge.html
Last edited by normalthings on Fri Feb 05, 2021 9:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

Worse than I could’ve imagined
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 9:51 pm Worse than I could’ve imagined
I’m disgusted. I see high speed lanes and added capacity. This is the wrong direction for downtown.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Have you been to Texas and seen their interchanges? It could have been dramatically worse.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

normalthings wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 10:02 pm
I’m disgusted. I see high speed lanes and added capacity. This is the wrong direction for downtown.
It’s actually going to mean far fewer cars into downtown.

Remember, 100% of the cars on the new overpasses travel into downtown via 6th St today.

This caused massive backups on Broadway all the way from 5th to ~12th and Indep Ave towards Delaware.

This project will free up space on Broadway and Indep Ave and enable a better pedestrian experience.

It will encourage working downtown vs taking 635 or 435 around to JoCo because through traffic past downtown won’t be mixed with downtown workers.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

flyingember wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:09 pm
normalthings wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 10:02 pm
It’s actually going to mean far fewer cars into downtown.

Remember, 100% of the cars on the new overpasses travel into downtown via 6th St today.

This caused massive backups on Broadway all the way from 5th to ~12th and Indep Ave towards Delaware.

This project will free up space on Broadway and Indep Ave and enable a better pedestrian experience.

It will encourage working downtown vs taking 635 or 435 around to JoCo because through traffic past downtown won’t be mixed with downtown workers.
The added capacity, wide high speed turn lanes, etc at the Independence intersection are not convincing me.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

It’s about what I expected based on MODOTs recent track record of building cheap bridges.

All the fly overs feel like overkill.
Critical_Mass
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Critical_Mass »

Is the direct connection on Broadway really needed at this point? Commuters on the west side of the loop can now head west down 12th street to get on the highway since the whole point was to add the direct access to the bridge from I-35. West alternative was so much better.
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

Its fine. I'm glad there isn't any major cloverleafs or crazy interchanges with I-70. We need to rip that highway out.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Critical_Mass wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 12:32 am Is the direct connection on Broadway really needed at this point? Commuters on the west side of the loop can now head west down 12th street to get on the highway since the whole point was to add the direct access to the bridge from I-35. West alternative was so much better.
The ramps to/from i35 are only one lane it looks like.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I'm surprised there isn't a connector ramp from the bridge heading west onto the intercity viaduct.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

flyingember wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:06 pm
Have you been to Texas and seen their interchanges? It could have been dramatically worse.
How very pollyannish
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Exactly what I expected and I'm not outraged.