OFFICIAL - Buck O'Neil Bridge

Transportation topics in KC
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Re: New Broadway Bridge

Post by KCPowercat »

I think we're going to see Central alignment and I'm okay/happy with that.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

KCPowercat wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:46 pm I think we're going to see Central alignment and I'm okay/happy with that.
So, buildings torn down?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Yes I'm okay with those buildings going away. It sucks but the overall positive impact this will bring downtown is worth it. We've torn down more desirable buildings in the middle of our core for much less.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Does anyone know what modot thinks? Are they onboard or just kind of like humoring us?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

As far as what?
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

shinatoo wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:13 pm
WSPanic wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:10 pm The Bond Bridge only cost $25M? Really? I thought the bridge itself was closer to $75M and the entire project (all of the interchanges up north to the 35/29 split was something like $250M. Maybe I'm completely misremembering. But $25M sounds awfully affordable.
Originally I had typed 250m but then started to think I was wrong about that. It had to be 250 though, right? 25 wouldn't get you shit.
The entire project was over 250 million. The bridge alone was around 100 million. I worked for one of the design build firms, so I spent a great deal of time on that project.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

KCPowercat wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:58 am 100M was reported incorrectly. It's at least 210M

Routing traffic directly to 35 makes this whole situation more walkable.
That sounds a little better. Would be hard to do this right for under 220-250 million.

I have not spent a lot of time following this project, I went back and looked at the proposals and while pretty vague, the central and west bridges locations should be fine.

They need to figure out a way to make the new bridge a recreational destination and make sure it's easy to access from downtown, the river market and the riverfront via foot.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I think the west proposal will die because of the bridge length and clearing the rail lines.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

I am glad that it will have pedestrian/bike lane, but those will not see much use. Only thing on north end accessible is airport and Harlem. Beyond there is not even a shoulder on the highway. Hope having bridge access will not encourage bikers and walkers to try to use route to get to Briarcliff, just not enough space and cars going 70+ mph. Will be great for airshow, maybe will negate need to close bridge to vehicles?
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

I’d bet more people than you think would use the bridge to bike to the airport to take advantage of the outer road bicycle loop around the airport.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I think a bike/ped space just for the airport and harlem are well worth it. I freak out when I see peds on the middle median and it's way too often.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

kboish wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:57 am I’d bet more people than you think would use the bridge to bike to the airport to take advantage of the outer road bicycle loop around the airport.
Agreed and the city needs to embrace that as an amenity vs. posting 'don't bike here" signs.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

moderne wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:31 am I am glad that it will have pedestrian/bike lane, but those will not see much use. Only thing on north end accessible is airport and Harlem. Beyond there is not even a shoulder on the highway. Hope having bridge access will not encourage bikers and walkers to try to use route to get to Briarcliff, just not enough space and cars going 70+ mph. Will be great for airshow, maybe will negate need to close bridge to vehicles?
This also helps incentive gaining access to the levys to run trails on. Heading east would be easier from Harlem than the HOA bridge which would have to cross tracks

And once you have trail access that gets you towards Chouteau and cuts a huge problem spot out of the system to the east
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I think we're setting ourselves up for disappointment if we think this will provide better ped access to the south side of the river. Hope I'm wrong.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

I am glad that it will have pedestrian/bike lane, but those will not see much use. Only thing on north end accessible is airport and Harlem. Beyond there is not even a shoulder on the highway. Hope having bridge access will not encourage bikers and walkers to try to use route to get to Briarcliff, just not enough space and cars going 70+ mph. Will be great for airshow, maybe will negate need to close bridge to vehicles?
Everyone else beat me to it, but the downtown airport ring road is used pretty heavily by cyclists, and it could become even more of a destination if accessible from downtown via bike. Also, it's surprising to me but I see a lot of folks walking down the median - far too many. Always wonder where one would be walking to/from along that stretch. And the south/downtown side of the bridge will have potential to connect with the Riverfront Heritage Trail as well.

Having recently purchased a house in the inner Northland (grew up in BKS), I'm very excited for this project. The central alignment, if selected, should hugely improve safety and accessibility to both downtown and I35. Hate to see the loss of any buildings, especially the lofts if they end up in or under the path, but agree with KCPowercat that overall the project will be a net positive. That section of city market has already been somewhat isolated by the existing bridge and freeway alignments. I do hope we get something, anything more exciting than a simple HOA-style slab. Even decorative pylons or something announcing the entrance to downtown.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

If the proposal is anywhere close to accurate, these are the only two buildings that would need to be sacrificed for the central alignment. Sad but two 2 story buildings in an already isolated by highways part of downtown for the greater good? Fine.

https://goo.gl/maps/yoh4Bym64Kyurw1V9
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

And a billboard! Maybe a blessing in disguise :lol:
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Years ago when Municipal was the airport Trader's Bank had a huge neon illuminated billboard at 5th & Broadway that flashed "Welcome to Kansas City."
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

KCPowercat wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:26 am I think we're setting ourselves up for disappointment if we think this will provide better ped access to the south side of the river. Hope I'm wrong.
you build networks by starting somewhere.

Bike lanes went in on 3rd and on Grand to almost 5th

The HOA bridge got a protected bike lane

there's bike lanes on the N. Oak hill going from 32nd to 42nd and new bike lanes on part of Armour.

There's a bike path on Vivon from N. Oak over to Highland and Highland down to Parvin

With the coming cycle track connecting down Burlington there's another piece of the network around there, connecting the new path up N. Oak to the HOA bridge

there's engineered plans to take a bike path NW along MO 9 out of NKC

so for the broadway bridge you look at connecting through Harlem which opens up demand for improvements in it.

then you extend the downtown bike loop on beardsley all the way to 5th. this connects to a bike safe path on forrester into the bottoms too

it opens up biking from the south to jobs at the airport and the SW corner of NKC from quality hill without cutting all the way over to the hoa bridge

it opens up demand for a new riverfront park around the airport which is bigger than Berkley
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

KCPowercat wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:35 am If the proposal is anywhere close to accurate, these are the only two buildings that would need to be sacrificed for the central alignment.
Any idea on what the plan would be for the land where the bridge run up is now? I assume it would be grafted back into the street system and the land sold for new building?