OFFICIAL - Main Street Streetcar Extension

Transportation topics in KC
shinatoo
Ambassador

Re: Phase 2 streetcar to UMKC

Post by shinatoo »

The whole thing or just the plaza to UMKC? If this is the whole thing what are the implications for the trail? Transfer to the Parks Dept?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

HOA billboard coming down for the expanded Streetcar yard.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

An ordinance to condemn property on 38th street for the extension

http://cityclerk.kcmo.org/liveweb/Docum ... SDD0XRKrAo
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

Anyone know the reason for condemning that property? Is it going to be used for construction staging? If that's the case, hopefully they will get it to a developer quickly after construction is complete.

It looks like this has already been completed and the city is listed as the current owner (the ordinance was filed in February).
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

Also, looking around that area on Parcel Viewer, I saw that Young Audiences now owns the Title Loans building and lot across the street from them. It looks like this was just done. They are listed as the owners on KCMO's parcel viewer, but not on Jackson County's (which tends to lag behind), nor is the sales record on Jackson County's site.

I hope they don't just plan on using the lot for additional parking.

Edit - Never mind! It actually looks like the LLC owner shown on the Jackson County site is an arm of Young Audiences and they have owned that lot since 2016. I haven't noticed it being used for parking. I hope they do something else with it.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

KCtoBrooklyn wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:38 pm Anyone know the reason for condemning that property? Is it going to be used for construction staging? If that's the case, hopefully they will get it to a developer quickly after construction is complete.

It looks like this has already been completed and the city is listed as the current owner (the ordinance was filed in February).
I wonder if it will be used for a power station? The downtown ones were able to be placed away from any practical uses. I've been curious where they will place them throughout midtown.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

kboish wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:52 pm
KCtoBrooklyn wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:38 pm Anyone know the reason for condemning that property? Is it going to be used for construction staging? If that's the case, hopefully they will get it to a developer quickly after construction is complete.

I wonder if it will be used for a power station? The downtown ones were able to be placed away from any practical uses. I've been curious where they will place them throughout midtown.
Correct.
kcmiz
Pad site
Pad site

Post by kcmiz »

Could be nice to do something along the lines of a fake facade so it better blends into the neighborhood:

https://untappedcities.com/2013/04/05/f ... entilator/

If that’s not in the budget, a wall with murals would be an improvement over a plain power sub station.
TrolliKC
Supporter

Post by TrolliKC »

kcmiz wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:42 am Could be nice to do something along the lines of a fake facade so it better blends into the neighborhood:

https://untappedcities.com/2013/04/05/f ... entilator/

If that’s not in the budget, a wall with murals would be an improvement over a plain power sub station.
thanks kcmiz - that's a cool article
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Streetcar gets $50.8 million in funding and I quote, "is a go"

https://www.kshb.com/news/local-news/kc ... al-funding
“The significance of today’s federal funding announcement for the KC Streetcar cannot be overstated," the Kansas City Streetcar Authority said in a statement. "This federal funding will allow our team to advance final design and move into long-awaited construction, realizing a transit vision for Kansas City that has been decades in the making. Thanks to amazing support from the Federal Transit Administration, our project partners at RideKC and Kansas City, Missouri, and our extremely supportive congressional delegation the KC Streetcar Main Street Extension Project is a go".

The Streetcar Authority said it is the largest transportation grant ever distributed in the region.
That said, they were seeking $174 million in funding. So what does having 1/3 of the ask mean?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

https://kcstreetcar.org/its-about-to-get-rail-again/

Broken up over multiple budget years.

So this was the last significant hurdle right?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

KCPowercat wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:56 am https://kcstreetcar.org/its-about-to-get-rail-again/

Broken up over multiple budget years.

So this was the last significant hurdle right?
Technically we still need the “Full Funding Grant Agreement” but projects don’t get allocations like this and not finish the process.
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

This is absolutely fantastic news. I had the privilege of exercising my right to vote in favor of establishing the TDD when I lived down by the Plaza. I look forward to the associated further increase in mobility, property values and density along the Phase 2 streetcar line, some of which we have already been seeing.

I think most thought the Federal funding was likely to get granted, just more a question of how long. With the current admin's limited funding of transit these things are never certain. It is very exciting and wonderful that Phase 2 is moving forward. Now time to start planning Phase 3??
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

alejandro46 wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:12 pm This is absolutely fantastic news. I had the privilege of exercising my right to vote in favor of establishing the TDD when I lived down by the Plaza. I look forward to the associated further increase in mobility, property values and density along the Phase 2 streetcar line, some of which we have already been seeing.

I think most thought the Federal funding was likely to get granted, just more a question of how long. With the current admin's limited funding of transit these things are never certain. It is very exciting and wonderful that Phase 2 is moving forward. Now time to start planning Phase 3??
They're still sitting on a lot more than they've allocated.

Phase 3 requires regional funding. KCMO taxpayers and the TDD value capture concept are tapped out for now.
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

So phase 3 would need to extend into cities besides KCMO?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

missingkc wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:13 pm So phase 3 would need to extend into cities besides KCMO?
Not necessarily, but KCMO finances are tapped out. Don't ask citywide or from existing resources. Cast a wider net.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

missingkc wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:13 pm So phase 3 would need to extend into cities besides KCMO?
Jackson, Clay, Platte have enabling State legislation in place for a 1 cent and a separate 1/2 cent mass transit sales taxes.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

normalthings wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:09 pm
Jackson, Clay, Platte have enabling State legislation in place for a 1 cent and a separate 1/2 cent mass transit sales taxes.
Wut.

It's a half cent for each county as part of a regional investment district was intended to be bi-state. The only other transit tax authorization is for the city of KCMO (1/2 cent by the state and up to 1/2 cent by voters -- 3/8 of the latter is currently approved through April 2024).

Unless you are referring to some other authorization for infrastructure.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

DaveKCMO wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:32 pm
normalthings wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:09 pm
Wut.

It's a half cent for each county as part of a regional investment district was intended to be bi-state. The only other transit tax authorization is for the city of KCMO (1/2 cent by the state and up to 1/2 cent by voters -- 3/8 of the latter is currently approved through April 2024).

Unless you are referring to some other authorization for infrastructure.
Statute 238.4 allows 1st class counties to create a county transit authority. The county transit authority has the power to construct, operate, and maintain (among other things) rail systems and passenger transportation facilities, the powers of eminent domain and to sell bonds/notes, and the ability for the county to raise up to a 1 cent sales tax for said authority. The creation of said authority can be started via election or action of the county government. I guess you are correct in that it is not solely restricted to transit/rail.

Mo Statutes
https://revisor.mo.gov/main/OneSection. ... .400%u2044

Mo County Class Map: White & Yellow are 1st Class
http://www.mocounties.com/images/1282/d ... ap_853.pdf

The 1/2 cent sales tax is under the Regional Investment District (no longer requires KS to sign off) as you said.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Tom Gerend confirms on KCUR this morning that anything beyond the Main Street and Riverfront extensions will need regional funding. The TDD value capture model doesn't work most places due to the high cost of streetcar and the low value/density of KC real estate.