normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: Phase 2 streetcar to UMKC

Post by normalthings »

Top Comment Themes:

1. Expand the Streetcar to Brookside/Waldo or the Zoo
2. Remove Curb Cuts and unused car space along Main
3. Make sure the dedicated lanes are respected and that there are adequate sidewalks.

https://www.buildkcstreetcar.com/
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

An extension to Brookside/Waldo feels like a no-brainer to me.

1. We know what's below the surface. There aren't many hidden surprises. The project is relatively straightforward.
2. DeJanes lost her case
3. Streetcar has been extremely popular and its further extension has lots of support.
4. We could eventually bring streetcar service all the way to the Zoo or the Burns & Mac HQ Complex.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

langosta wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:49 pm An extension to Brookside/Waldo feels like a no-brainer to me.

1. We know what's below the surface. There aren't many hidden surprises. The project is relatively straightforward.
2. DeJanes lost her case
3. Streetcar has been extremely popular and its further extension has lots of support.
4. We could eventually bring streetcar service all the way to the Zoo or the Burns & Mac HQ Complex.
I can't imagine Brookside would cost much. Everything has been graded for rail. No/limited ROW acquisition, utility relocation, or demo costs.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

300 Brookside/Waldo residents signed a petition to get it looked at back in 2013. Before Phase 1 opened and well before we had the chance to see its high ridership and great economic impacts.

https://www.change.org/p/mayor-sly-jame ... -and-waldo

3 Brooksiders led a charge against the Streetcar. DeJanes and her Husband were defeated in court and so their top incentive for blocking it is gone.

https://www.facebook.com/Savethetrolleytrail

The Facebook Page for the Anti-Brookside Streetcar Group has devolved into an anti-taxation and anti-LGBTQ page. Is anyone surprised? A certain KCragger's house makes an appearance in a weird af anti-streetcar "music video".

https://insidebrookside.wordpress.com/2 ... expansion/

Inside Brookside reported on DeJanes movement. The comment section paints a picture of some of the main objections real citizens had.

Concerns about a lack of ridership and no benefit to local businesses seem to be the biggest concerns.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

normalthings wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:08 pm https://www.facebook.com/Savethetrolleytrail

The Facebook Page for the Anti-Brookside Streetcar Group has devolved into an anti-taxation and anti-LGBTQ page. Is anyone surprised? A certain KCragger's house makes an appearance in a weird af anti-streetcar "music video".
I wouldn't be too concerned about that Facebook page. Engagement on all their recent posts is poor. It doesn't look like a post about the Streetcar has been made in several years. Engagement dropped off once it turned to more divisive politics than being NIMBY about the streetcar.
Walker
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Walker »

Most of those initial concerns have been pacified by the streetcar's downtown opening. Its time to bring it to Brookside
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

There are plenty of people freaking out on Next door. Personal it would benefit me to have it extended down the Trolly Trail but I wouldn't prioritize that over about 6 other routes. Brookside Waldo is essentially suburban and affluent. Would be better served by more frequent bus service right now.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

IIRC, not dense enough to use TDD or to score well for federal funds.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Since it was mentioned in this thread before, here are renderings of the Exact Partners 3901 Main renovation.

Listing link: https://clemonslife.com/commercial-list ... 2136-lease
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

grovester wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:19 pm IIRC, not dense enough to use TDD or to score well for federal funds.
Absolutely not dense enough. Also no real development opportunities. If we want to extend south of Brush Creek then cut across UMKC and down Troost. It would be a shot in the arm for Troost like it was for Main. A terminus at 63rd (Landing Shopping Center) would be about as far as I would go. Still not a high priority though.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

shinatoo wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:56 pm There are plenty of people freaking out on Next door. Personal it would benefit me to have it extended down the Trolly Trail but I wouldn't prioritize that over about 6 other routes. Brookside Waldo is essentially suburban and affluent. Would be better served by more frequent bus service right now.
If it's the conversation I read, there are basically 3-4 people driving it. One is a DeJanes fan and another is a former suburban planning director who wouldn't live in any plausible streetcar taxing district.

An extension would personally benefit me also, but I can absolutely see my neighbors lining up to die on whichever hill kills the project.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

chaglang wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:22 am An extension would personally benefit me also, but I can absolutely see my neighbors lining up to die on whichever hill kills the project.
I've said it before, but the Brookside extension won't happen until the neighbors see the values of property in Midtown pass theirs because of proximity to the line and Brookside is no longer the premier neighborhood to be in on the Missouri side.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Just give me 15-minute headways on the Main Street Max and I would be plenty happy.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

grovester wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:19 pm IIRC, not dense enough to use TDD or to score well for federal funds.
Correct. Introducing 15m Main MAX service to Waldo in October will determine if there's enough real demand to merit a streetcar investment beyond UMKC. Keep in mind that most of the space between 51st and 75th is make up of strip retail and single-family homes. Denser than many places, but not dense enough on its own to leverage the TDD approach used previously.

NextRail study covers this: https://kcstreetcar.org/wp-content/uplo ... erview.pdf

And that's before you get to the issue with proximity to backyards, regardless of any legal challenge.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

DaveKCMO wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:59 pm
Introducing 15m Main MAX service to Waldo in October
Woo Hoo!
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

earthling wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:47 pm Image
Yes, as is removing the Plaza jog that enables a fast run time to Waldo -- just like the streetcar alignment! All buses will head straight down Main/Brookside. Plaza Library will be covered by the new 40 Broadway service that will run north along Broadway to downtown and East Village Transit Center.
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

DaveKCMO wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:59 pm
Correct. Introducing 15m Main MAX service to Waldo in October will determine if there's enough real demand to merit a streetcar investment beyond UMKC. Keep in mind that most of the space between 51st and 75th is make up of strip retail and single-family homes. Denser than many places, but not dense enough on its own to leverage the TDD approach used previously.

NextRail study covers this: https://kcstreetcar.org/wp-content/uplo ... erview.pdf

And that's before you get to the issue with proximity to backyards, regardless of any legal challenge.
Linwood to prospect!!!!
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

DaveKCMO wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:01 pm
earthling wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:47 pm Image
Yes, as is removing the Plaza jog that enables a fast run time to Waldo
I second my Woo Hoo!
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

DaveKCMO wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:01 pm Plaza Library will be covered by the new 40 Broadway service that will run north along Broadway to downtown and East Village Transit Center.
Doubly nice. So where will new 40 terminate on S end?