Bike Lanes

Transportation topics in KC
nickyrosstheboss
Pad site
Pad site

Re: Bike Lanes

Post by nickyrosstheboss » Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:41 pm

If so I will literally cry. I love that area and THOUGHT the people were progressive enough to adapt to this.

flyingember
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by flyingember » Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:51 pm

Send an email in support to the NKC mayor and city council in support. Not every complaint about projects is legitimate but there's a couple spots that are huge pain points because of it. They shouldn't tear it out but i needs improving

That photo is looking westbound from Iron. I turn left here SB to WB in the morning and cross next intersection in view south to north in the afternoon. That path is very much on purpose.

You can see the signal head has space for left turn arrows and has a protected left (WB to SB). The other direction (EB to NB) doesn't have a protected left cycle.

So when you've heading EB into town as a resident it's very hard to turn left to go north. There's similar issues turning left into businesses between Burlington and Linn. Dropping lanes has meant it's much harder for traffic to clear the block before the light cycle restarts, the Howell to Iron block EB in the evening is especially bad.

The city did a major road diet in terms of the lanes but the signals weren't changed to support the changes. They simply didn't finish the project yet.

I recommended implementing four way blinking reds as a test to discourage Armour being used as a through street. A lot of drivers take it to Burlington to avoid I-35 into downtown. They already have a truck route marked on Linn and 16th that could take a lot of NKC traffic.

bspecht
Pad site
Pad site

Post by bspecht » Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:10 am

NKC City Council is having special public meeting on Armour tomorrow evening (October 15) at 6 pm. I'd encourage anyone in the region who supports bike infra to attend, and reach out to BikeWalkKC who is doing some organizing for it.

DaveKCMO
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by DaveKCMO » Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:44 pm

bspecht wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:10 am
NKC City Council is having special public meeting on Armour tomorrow evening (October 15) at 6 pm. I'd encourage anyone in the region who supports bike infra to attend, and reach out to BikeWalkKC who is doing some organizing for it.
NKC council votes to keep the Armour Road changes in place for six months and review the data (!) after that.

kboish
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by kboish » Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:15 pm

What kind of data did they say they plan to look at?

WSPanic
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by WSPanic » Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:01 pm

I assume it's largely safety and traffic data. Although, I imagine there will be businesses that also offer anecdotal/partial data regarding business/revenue being positively/negatively effected by the changes.