I hate KCMO's new street signs

Transportation topics in KC
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

I hate KCMO's new street signs

Post by AllThingsKC »

Recently, KCMO started replacing their street signs for no particular reason.

The old style was easy to read because it was in capital letters. The new format is not, so it's more difficult to read.

Old Example: "N. BRIGHTON AVE"

New Example: "N. Brighton Ave"

Here's a picture with both old and new signs just feet apart. The picture is blurry/fuzzy, but you can only read "Brighton" on the old style. Drivers will have the same problem.

lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: I hate KCMO's new street signs

Post by lock+load »

I completely agree. The new signs are more difficult to read, especially the smaller signs in the neighborhoods.
enough
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by enough »

i can't see the image, but i don't have to. i can understand replacing signs downtown, but is replacing several thousand signs citywide the best use of scarce city money? (hint: i think not.)
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

AllThingsKC wrote:Recently, KCMO started replacing their street signs for no particular reason.

The old style was easy to read because it was in capital letters. The new format is not, so it's more difficult to read.
The lower case letters are easier to for me to read. That said, I agree that this is a curious use of city resources. And they're still not as ugly as the MainCor street signs.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

I seem to remember that the upper/lowercase combo was a product of a federal mandate. Perhaps part of the highway code? I remember reading about it, but not sure where/when. I am under the impression that the federal government backed off or extended the mandate within the last year or so.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

smh wrote:I seem to remember that the upper/lowercase combo was a product of a federal mandate. Perhaps part of the highway code? I remember reading about it, but not sure where/when. I am under the impression that the federal government backed off or extended the mandate within the last year or so.
you are correct. it wasn't city hall folly.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

The rationale for the federal change is explained here (second question):
http://www.achdidaho.org/departments/PR ... px?MID=177

And the story of the design is here:
http://thehardestyear.com/2009/07/signs ... -highways/

It didn't occur to me until I saw the video that KCMO had switched fonts. I assumed they had just used a lower case version of the old font.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

pash wrote:It's fucking absurd that we have federal laws specifying the typeface of city street signs. I think I'm going to move to Somalia.
Not really. It's a driver safety/public safety issue. It's along the same lines as the signage requirements in the ADA.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

chaglang wrote:
pash wrote:It's fucking absurd that we have federal laws specifying the typeface of city street signs. I think I'm going to move to Somalia.
Not really. It's a driver safety/public safety issue. It's along the same lines as the signage requirements in the ADA.

I vote absurd and overreaching.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

loftguy wrote:
chaglang wrote:

I vote absurd and overreaching.
Nothing wrong with having standards so you don't see some creative, unreadable street signs from city to city and state to state.
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

chaglang wrote:The rationale for the federal change is explained here (second question):
http://www.achdidaho.org/departments/PR ... px?MID=177

And the story of the design is here:
http://thehardestyear.com/2009/07/signs ... -highways/

It didn't occur to me until I saw the video that KCMO had switched fonts. I assumed they had just used a lower case version of the old font.
I don't know if the new signs are the same typeface or not, but pretty sure it is not the Clearview font.