Generic ongoing KCATA thread

Transportation topics in KC
Major KC Fan
Strip mall
Strip mall

Re: Generic ongoing KCATA thread

Post by Major KC Fan »

Can you be specific about which country you’re referring to? When I drove in Britain there were no tolls on the equivalents of our interstate and the two-lane highways were as good as our two lane roads, depending on their type (major link vs. local link). In Italy I didn’t drive but I think I remember the interstate quality road being toll, but not the two-lane local roads (Rome to Naples for the interstate and Tuscany for the two lanes).
I’ve taken the Chunnel several times from London to Paris and it’s a modern marvel. Also did high speed around Italy and it was remarkable vs. what I experienced from KC to St. Louis.....
I might add that traveling across Uganda we experienced both interstate quality (around Kampala) and two lane equivalent to our local highways (most of the country). Our driver in Uganda pointed out that the Chinese government has built most of the upgraded roads in Uganda and we witnessed Chinese supervisors working with Ugandans on a highway project in western Uganda (Chinese & English) info signs along the construction route. The US used to be the country assisting development like that in Africa but we’ve given the lead to the Chinese (and the resulting diplomatic support it brings). I did see US AID vehicles driving on those same roads so we are still involved in some efforts (most likely health & refugee-South Sudan efforts).
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Major KC Fan wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:34 am The US used to be the country assisting development like that in Africa but we’ve given the lead to the Chinese (and the resulting diplomatic support it brings). I did see US AID vehicles driving on those same roads so we are still involved in some efforts (most likely health & refugee-South Sudan efforts).
There would be a big uproar at home if we funded belt & road project's like China is.
Major KC Fan
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Major KC Fan »

I didn’t necessarily say we should fund their roads, we need major reconstruction here. However, I was making the point that from a geopolitical standpoint, we’re losing influence around the developing world to China, which could result in a continuation of our downward spiral in world stature in the last 3+ years. Loss of stature leads to less opportunity, both political and economic, thus reducing our own development. Our loss of international markets for grain sales has resulted in the need for government handouts (welfare) to the farmers (and corporations) that we are paying for. I’d rather take other nation’s money to pay our producers than take money out of my pocket to prop them up.
Sorry for the digression from the topic, but it’s all related.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

normalthings wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:56 am Wonderful! I wonder if they could do something like K=Pass otherwise I support 100%.
They offer a system called Telepass (usable on most euro zone highway systems too) that is an upfront service charge of 55 euro, and then automatically allows you through toll gates, and you get a bill for all the tolls at the end of every quarter. I’ve never purchased one so I can’t speak on details, but I believe there is also a service charge on them per toll transaction, but it could be just an overall operating one. It does make for a well maintained highway system that’s for sure, and the Polizia locale and the carabinieri don’t really have the ability to pull over speeding individuals, so the 130 KPH speed limit is much more of a suggestion :lol: while I don’t love the cost of the system, it absolutely leads to a more consistent product around the nation.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

https://www.masstransitmag.com/technolo ... nformation
As part of this project, Swiftly is leveraging existing GPS data from onboard broadband routers and the agency’s dispatch system, Trapeze’s TransitMaster. Swiftly leverages this vehicle position information to more accurately predict when the next bus will arrive, rather than relying solely on the existing dispatch system. Customers and RideKC staff can now access more accurate bus arrival and position information right from their phone, via the free Transit app. This will also improve accuracy of real-time information available at digital displays, including those along Prospect MAX and at 3-Trails, East Village and 75th and Prospect transit centers.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^Nice plus when accuracy of real-time info is improved.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Competition for locally-programmed federal funds are tough! Please leave supportive comments on the KCATA grant applications at this link: https://gis2.marc2.org/tr_cfp/browseprojects-all.aspx

There are lots of bike and complete streets projects worthy of supportive comments, too!

Deadline for comments is October 14.

Everyone on here is always asking for more transit investments. Here's your chance to help!
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Homeowner parcel change alongside KCATA's CCRW. Can someone explain if this is worrisome?

https://compasskc.kcmo.org/EnerGov_Prod ... 020449dd28
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

normalthings wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:39 pm Homeowner parcel change alongside KCATA's CCRW. Can someone explain if this is worrisome?

https://compasskc.kcmo.org/EnerGov_Prod ... 020449dd28
It would bring the lot's back propety line in line with the adjacent properties. Must have been a old utility there. Very apparent on the parcel viewer. I would say a non issue.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

1969 Study on Rapid Transitway to KCI. One of KCATA's first big projects was to be a dedicated rapid transitway from CBD to KCI. The abstract touches on a regional monorail system being studied at the same time.

By 1971, KCATA was studying a regional rapid rail transit system for the purpose of airport access and high-speed commuter service.

DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Back when the feds paid 80% of the capital cost. Now it's 50% or less.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

DaveKCMO wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:31 pm Back when the feds paid 80% of the capital cost. Now it's 50% or less.
Not knocking KCATA today. Just found it interesting that monorail and metro were once in the cards.
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

Very cool! Monorails were the jam back in the day, but glad we missed that boat. It would definitely have been easier to assemble any ROW back when the Northland was all corn fields and forests.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Yes, rail in KC has been studied pretty much continuously since it was paved over. I have a paper copy of the plan that resulted from the above post. Pretty interesting how easy the Council had it. They just needed to issue bonds and accept the grant and they balked. Would have been 1000% times easier than the current process.
Walker
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Walker »

DaveKCMO wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:43 pm Yes, rail in KC has been studied pretty much continuously since it was paved over. I have a paper copy of the plan that resulted from the above post. Pretty interesting how easy the Council had it. They just needed to issue bonds and accept the grant and they balked. Would have been 1000% times easier than the current process.
Would you be able to scan and share it with us?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

You'll have to settle for a few smartphone pics. Here's something I posted a long time ago on Twitter:

Walker
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Walker »

DaveKCMO wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:04 pm You'll have to settle for a few smartphone pics. Here's something I posted a long time ago on Twitter:

I'll take smart phone photos of the plans! Interesting article too
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

DaveKCMO wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:04 pm You'll have to settle for a few smartphone pics. Here's something I posted a long time ago on Twitter:
80% match too, that is crazy. We need to go back in time and get them to go through with it. Wonder what exactly happened? Change in leadership maybe? I know the economy of the early 70s wasn't great with stagflation and all that.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

alejandro46 wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:35 pm
80% match too, that is crazy. We need to go back in time and get them to go through with it. Wonder what exactly happened? Change in leadership maybe? I know the economy of the early 70s wasn't great with stagflation and all that.
80% match was around in the ‘90s. STL landed one for their starter line and KC had one lined up but voted no.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

In hindsight we shouldnt have made grand the transit corridor. Cordish and TMobile have too much power to close off grand and redirect too many routes.