Designated Driver Service in KC

Transportation topics in KC
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Designated Driver Service in KC

Post by PumpkinStalker »

Thought this was a pretty clever idea, they've been using it for some time in London apparently.  It's news to me, but it beats waking up and not knowing if your car has been stolen, broken into, or towed!

http://www.scootercrewusa.com/

Would anyone consider using this service?  $10 up front then $3 per mile.
LindseyLohan
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Re: Designated Driver Service in KC

Post by LindseyLohan »

This doesn't sound like a very profitable venture, but clever. They would be hard pressed to be able to find good employees that want to drive around drunks on cold Friday and Saturday nights. Then the liability of someone you probably aren't paying very well to drive around $50,000 SUVs. I bet you could make a lot more as a valet...
KCKev
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCKev »

Not everyone has to make money to do good things.
I bet you could buy a new ride and claim it as a Business expense. Drive a few drunks home and make good tips if your a good person.
If you're not on the EDGE, you're taking up TOO MUCH ROOM!
LindseyLohan
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by LindseyLohan »

KCKev wrote: Not everyone has to make money to do good things.

But a business has to make money to stay in business. Or get some Obama money...
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

I bet you could buy a new ride and claim it as a Business expense. Drive a few drunks home and make good tips if your a good person.
Plus run up against taxi and livery ordinances in many American cities.

Something about operating a vehicle for hire.
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I've heard of tow truck companies doing this....they tow your car home for you after drinking.  I never trust tow truck drivers as a rule :)
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
LindseyLohan
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by LindseyLohan »

I also question the morality of supporting excessive drinking... not that I am one to talk
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

LindseyLohan wrote: This doesn't sound like a very profitable venture, but clever.
Double the price of a taxi but without any of the expense of operating a car - sounds like a recipie for profit to me. 
LindseyLohan
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by LindseyLohan »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: Double the price of a taxi but without any of the expense of operating a car - sounds like a recipie for profit to me. 
I'd be curious to the insurance costs. If I told my agent I was going to be driving random (Anything between a ford focus and a Corvette) cars around for 40 hours a week, he'd probably tell me to piss off. They are insuring a whole group of employees working off min. wage plus tips.

Don't cab companies charge the drivers a ridiculous amount of money to lease the cab and then it is up to the driver to make the money to cover that expense, plus gas, plus his pay as a contractor?
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

LindseyLohan wrote: I also question the morality of supporting excessive drinking... not that I am one to talk
A case of looking at the reality and not the morality.
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: Double the price of a taxi but without any of the expense of operating a car - sounds like a recipie for profit to me. 
Yea, if anybody takes them up on it.  The profit margin will be huge and not much risk because no capital has been expended but I doubt if they get many takers.
NDTeve wrote: A case of looking at the reality and not the morality.
Yea, if people are going to drink heavily, and they will, you might as well profit by taking them off the road.  Doesn't sound like a moral issue to me. 
mudjack
New York Life
New York Life

Post by mudjack »

Where was this in the days when I was closing down the Newsroom and then swerving back home to Lawrence 5 nights a week?
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Highlander wrote: Yea, if anybody takes them up on it.  The profit margin will be huge and not much risk because no capital has been expended but I doubt if they get many takers.  
Hard to know how it would do here, but the London one has been going strong for 10+ years.  I would think it would make even more sense in KC than Europe, since almost the entire population owns a car.  What percentage of London partiers even own a car in the first place?  For those taking a trip way back out to the burbs, I would think there would be a lot of advantage to not having to deal with an expensive second cab ride back to Westport/DT the next day or having to bribe one of your friends to schlep you back to your car. 
LindseyLohan
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by LindseyLohan »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: Hard to know how it would do here, but the London one has been going strong for 10+ years.  I would think it would make even more sense in KC than Europe, since almost the entire population owns a car.  What percentage of London partiers even own a car in the first place?  For those taking a trip way back out to the burbs, I would think there would be a lot of advantage to not having to deal with an expensive second cab ride back to Westport/DT the next day or having to bribe one of your friends to schlep you back to your car. 
Will these scooter be capable of journeys outside of the core? I know we have a 50cc scooter that we basically don't use anymore because 30mph isn't enough to keep up with traffic going into KC. Not safely, anyways... If someone can point me to a scooter that can fold up and fit in a trunk and get me from 151st and Metcalf to the plaza safely and efficiently, I would like to buy a couple right now.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

LindseyLohan wrote: Will these scooter be capable of journeys outside of the core? I know we have a 50cc scooter that we basically don't use anymore because 30mph isn't enough to keep up with traffic going into KC. Not safely, anyways... If someone can point me to a scooter that can fold up and fit in a trunk and get me from 151st and Metcalf to the plaza safely and efficiently, I would like to buy a couple right now.
I don't know about the KC ones, but the London ones are more of a folding motorbike than a scooter.  Point taken though, regardless of how big it is, I don't think I would want to drive on back DT from 151st st. 
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: Hard to know how it would do here, but the London one has been going strong for 10+ years.  I would think it would make even more sense in KC than Europe, since almost the entire population owns a car.  What percentage of London partiers even own a car in the first place?  For those taking a trip way back out to the burbs, I would think there would be a lot of advantage to not having to deal with an expensive second cab ride back to Westport/DT the next day or having to bribe one of your friends to schlep you back to your car.  
If you are middle class and live in a place in London where public transportation isn't the first option, you probably own a car.   What's really different in Europe is the near unversal unwillingness to drive after drinking.  Unfortunately, I don't find that reluctance is that strong in the states where too many people are willing to take a chance.  We talk a great line about aversion to drunk driving but there are still a lot of drunks on the road.  I also think a lot of people are going to highly reluctant to let a complete stranger drive their cars, especially where taxi's are available.  Yea, it's an idea that could work but I think you'd be facing an uphill battle, at least until it caught on, due to some major differences in cultural attitudes.    One thing that did work in the UK was that the party thrower would  at times higher a few local kids with driving licences to ferry drunk guests home after they taxi'd to the party or just left their cars there...cities are compact so they never had too far to go.