Cellphone ban while driving?

Transportation topics in KC
scooterj
Ambassador

Cellphone ban while driving?

Post by scooterj »

Do any communities in the KC area ban cellphone use while driving?  In particular, does Prairie Village or Overland Park?
jimb
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Re: Cellphone ban while driving?

Post by jimb »

Not that I know of.

And I would assume that OP would be one of the last given who their largest employer is...
anniewarbucks
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by anniewarbucks »

That would be a strange one. Though there are more and more areas banning cell phones while driving. I haven't heard of any areas around here that do though. It does not affect me though as I do not own a cell phone since all of mine were stolen.
No trees were destroyed in the sending of this contaminant- free message.
However, a significant number of electrons have been inconvenienced.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Shawnee considered it, but that's the only area city I know that has even considered it.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

I was curious about this because a PV cop flashed his headlights at a friend of mine, did a u-turn, and followed him for about a mile before becoming separated at a red light.  It was daytime, he wasn't speeding, there was nothing wrong with his car, and he had his seat belt on.  The only thing he could think of was that he was on his phone.
kigmee
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by kigmee »

Last night, on a section of I70 with narrow lanes due to construction, in a rainstorm, the car next to me started encroaching on my lane.  I glanced at the driver and saw that he was steering with his knees and busily thumbing out a text message on his cell/PDA. 

I support a ban on cellphones while driving, but have no illusions about being able to legislate away stupidity.
Sportster
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Sportster »

kigmee wrote: Last night, on a section of I70 with narrow lanes due to construction, in a rainstorm, the car next to me started encroaching on my lane.  I glanced at the driver and saw that he was steering with his knees and busily thumbing out a text message on his cell/PDA. 

I support a ban on cellphones while driving, but have no illusions about being able to legislate away stupidity.
Every single "encounter" I've had with a "cager" (car driver) the operator of the car has been busily chatting it up or texting away, oblivious to the rather loud Harley (ridden by me) they were forcing off the road or into an unsafe situation whilst doing so.
Now, call me sexist - easily, 99% of those cars were driven by women/girls. :shock: :shock:

Someone asked me once, as a motorcyclist, what's the scariest thing you encounter while riding.
My answer probably surprised them: carload of teenage girls with cell phones.
CLUE - LESS!!!

Sportster
...frightening, truly frightening :shock: :shock:
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

A ban in the entire state of California went into effect this week.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

KCMax wrote: A ban in the entire state of California went into effect this week.
They did not ban using cell phones.  All they did was require you use a hands-free device.

Unfortunately several studies have shown that hands-free devices don't make any difference. It's not the phone in your hand that is the problem, it's the conversation.  There is mounting evidence that have a phone conservation while driving is the cause of dangerous distraction, regardless of whether or not you use a hands-free device.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

dangerboy wrote: They did not ban using cell phones.  All they did was require you use a hands-free device.

Unfortunately several studies have shown that hands-free devices don't make any difference. It's not the phone in your hand that is the problem, it's the conversation.  There is mounting evidence that have a phone conservation while driving is the cause of dangerous distraction, regardless of whether or not you use a hands-free device.
what about talking to a passenger in the vehicle? 
49r
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by 49r »

LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

chrizow wrote: what about talking to a passenger in the vehicle? 

There are some folks out there that say we shouldn't even be allowed to have radios in the cars.  Apparently there are statistics out there that pretty convincingly show that even the slightest distraction dramatically increases the likelyhood of an accident.  

If you ban cell phones, you damn well better ban applying cosmetics, using laptops, watching movies, etc.  I actually saw an ad for a console you were supposed to install in your pickup truck that basicaly created a computer workstation facing the driver.  Nothing like a little light word processing while you drive into the office!   :shock:
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

Supposedly that is less distracting because your attention is still in the car and the passenger provides another set of eyes to react to problems on the road.  The conversation with a distant person seems to have a mental cocoon effect where you become almost oblivious to the world around you.

Ideally the ban would be on any cell phone conversation, even with a headset.  Of course that would be hard to enforce, but you could have stiff penalties if you are found at fault for an accident.  I say fine people $10,000 if they cause a wreck and are found to be on the phone at the time.
alpha_glamourina
New York Life
New York Life

Post by alpha_glamourina »

After nearly being run off the road by a dim bulb on the phone yesterday, I'm now perfectly happy with the idea of  banning cell phone use w/o a hands free device while driving.  As for people who text or use their blackberry while driving- how stupid can a person be?!  I'm fiercely against any of that.  It's just as bad or worse than someone doing their eye make-up while driving.  [-X
Jeff
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Jeff »

I've discovered that if the conversation is going to go past 30 seconds, I have to pull off the road and stop. I'm apparently too stupid to pull it off.
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by nota »

Just a challenge to all.

Just pay attention to your own driving boo boos. The ones where you know deep down you are at fault whether you want to admit it or not. Whether you cut someone off or had to make a quick stop because you didnt' notice that car stopped in front of you or the light that had turned or the truck trying to change lanes in front of you-whatever.

I'm betting that at least 75% of them involved your own cell phone in one way or the other-talking on it, looking for it, dropping it, etc. I have and it's true for me.

Over the last year or so, I only talk on the cell phone while driving if I'm on the open road with sparse traffic and then only limitedly. None in the city or in any kind of traffic.
kclofter
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by kclofter »

IMHO, no doubt, hence the sterile cockpit in airliners when below 10,000 feet. In my former job, I drove to Columbia or St Louis every week.  Clearly, I was a much more focused driver when alone w/o radio, etc, compared to when a passenger was present chatting.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

kclofter wrote: IMHO, no doubt, hence the sterile cockpit in airliners when below 10,000 feet. In my former job, I drove to Columbia or St Louis every week.  Clearly, I was a much more focused driver when alone w/o radio, etc, compared to when a passenger was present chatting.
I consider driving a full time job once I am in the car.  I am amazed that people can listen to books on tapes when driving.  I am so focused on the driving part, especially when there is heavy traffic, that I will not even realize that I have the tape on, I just cannot even come close to following along. 

I have read the distraction problems are much, much worse for younger drivers.  While in Colorado last week, I was told that Colorado either limits drivers under 21 to passengers over 21 or was in the process of doing so.   
Sportster
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Sportster »

alpha_glamourina wrote: It's just as bad or worse than someone doing their eye make-up while driving.   [-X
Which I saw you doing as you were speeding down Garfield the other day and mowed down those five poor, defenseless, hungry, immigrant children!!! :shock: :shock:

Boy, talk about the pot callin the kettle black!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:  ROFL!!!!!

Sportster
...these johnson county transplants - i tell ya!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:
alpha_glamourina
New York Life
New York Life

Post by alpha_glamourina »

Huh?  I've never lived in JoCo in my life.  And the only make-up I apply while driving is lipstick (don't need a mirror bc I know my own lips by heart). 

But yes, I did run over the immigrant children on Garfield.  That street was built for speed!

KIDDING.  :P

Were there really some children run over on Garfield recently?  It wouldn't surprise me, some people do drive too fast on it. 

Honestly, I do talk on my cell from time to time while driving, but it's always quick: "Yeah...uh-huh, I'll be there in about a half an hour...bye."  That kind of thing.  Sometimes i've got the hands-free attachment going, and other times I don't, but, I'd be okay if a hands-free device law went into effect, it's a lot easier to use than not, especially if you're driving a stick like I do.