State Avenue BRT

Transportation topics in KC
phxcat
Hotel President
Hotel President

Re: State Avenue BRT

Post by phxcat »

bbqboy wrote: I can't disagree with you on a practical level, I just wish someone was a visionary, a dreamer, and could envision what could be, not what is.
(politicans, not you, grid.)
And hopefully that will dream big enough to do BRT right, with a mind towards developing the TOD that would lead to the density needed for LRT.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

i think you can expect the state ave and troost BRT lines to be implemented EXACTLY the way MAX was implemented. set the bar any higher and you will be disappointed.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

phxcat wrote: And hopefully that will dream big enough to do BRT right, with a mind towards developing the TOD that would lead to the density needed for LRT.
If by "right" you mean dedicated lanes, they have already decided it will be BRT in mixed traffic.
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by TheBigChuckbowski »

DaveKCMO wrote: i think you can expect the state ave and troost BRT lines to be implemented EXACTLY the way MAX was implemented. set the bar any higher and you will be disappointed.
At least it can't make 15 turns in a 10 block area. That will automatically make it better.
You know, Dude, I myself dabbled in pacifism once. Not in 'Nam of course.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

There is no congestion on State Avenue.  Dedicated BRT lanes would be nice, but I don't see them saving much if any travel time vs. mixed traffic.
OPIchabod
New York Life
New York Life

Post by OPIchabod »

Danger -

I don't think this is what you're referencing when you say there's no congestion on State Avenue (which there isn't), but I thought I'd say it anyway (in otherwords, no hard feelings).

That's a key distinction to the public transportation issue. Where as public transportation is seen as a method to reduce traffic congestion in areas like JoCo, that rationale doesn't hold for WyCo, which would use (and has) public transit for people who can't get around any other way.
Indecision is the root of evil.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

yes, this is ENTIRELY about connecting people with jobs and serving a transit-dependent population. it will be interesting to see if UG pursues a dedicated transit sales tax to fund this and other improvements. they, like independence and others, have had troubles keeping service running without such a dedicated funding mechanism (esp. after federal funds dried up).

separately, i have to wonder if they will offer a single-seat ride to those on the troost BRT line (SmartMoves shows it as one contiguous "yellow line" between VW and bannister) as well as offer a stop in the bottoms (these are both unanswered, even after yesterday's meeting).
OPIchabod
New York Life
New York Life

Post by OPIchabod »

There may be more info coming out about a sales tax (though its rumored to be funding something else), whose feasiblity was the reason for a community survey this year.

Results are supposed to be released tonight.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

transit ranked pretty high, almost as lowering the property tax (if i'm not mistaken).
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

Right, this isn't about reducing congestion, it's about connectivity.  My point was that since there is no congestion, you don't really gain anything with dedicated lanes.
KCK
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KCK »

Interesting. Rather than wasting money on BRT, why not just fix the current bus routes. Having to transfer at Indian Springs is idiotic. Also the main bus route should be along State Ave. throughout all of KCK, but the 101 goes up Minnesota, which ends at 38th street. More frequent service on the weekends would be nice too. I had to wait for a full hour for the next bus after barely missing the bus one Saturday not too long ago. Here I was trying to be a true urbanite, and also conserve gasoline, and I ended up getting screwed. Even worse was the fact that later that same day, the bus arrived late at the transfer point at Indian Springs, meaning the bus we were supposed to get on had already left.
New Body, New Job, New SOUL!!!!

KCK IS BACK!!!!
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

KCK wrote: Interesting. Rather than wasting money on BRT, why not just fix the current bus routes. Having to transfer at Indian Springs is idiotic. Also the main bus route should be along State Ave. throughout all of KCK, but the 101 goes up Minnesota, which ends at 38th street. More frequent service on the weekends would be nice too. I had to wait for a full hour for the next bus after barely missing the bus one Saturday not too long ago. Here I was trying to be a true urbanite, and also conserve gasoline, and I ended up getting screwed. Even worse was the fact that later that same day, the bus arrived late at the transfer point at Indian Springs, meaning the bus we were supposed to get on had already left.
...because there's a federal teat called Very Small Starts and it's relatively easy to get in the pipeline (2 yrs?). that capital funding will pay for new buses, the real-time arrival system, and new shelters. besides, a local route would take FOREVER to get to VW from downtown KCMO if it potentially stopped at every corner. for comparison, try taking #57 from downtown to the plaza someday... MAX will almost always beat the local, even if the local arrives first. the problems with the way we do BRT are ride quality, signal priority, and off-board ticketing; i'm quite sure ATA and KCK don't plan on addressing any of these and we'll simply get MAX2 (which is still an improvement, but so much more potential).
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

http://letsgokc.com/archives/63
A new State Avenue route will link Downtown KCMO with Village West, including stops in Downtown KCK and the Indian Springs Transit Center. This new route will run seven days a week, and is temporary solution until the State Avenue MAX line is up and running a couple of years.
Anyone know when this starts?
OPIchabod
New York Life
New York Life

Post by OPIchabod »

GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

I have never seen a KCK bus and I have lived in KC and riden KC transit most of my life.

What the hell do they look like and where are they?  Are they vans or real city buses?

Seriously...

edit:

I think I found a pic!

Seriously?  This is it?  For a county of 150,000 people?
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

KCK is about 75 years behind KCMO.  So I think it's a horse and stagecoach.
KC is the way to be!
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

This is a Jefferson City, MO bus.  Jeff City has about 35,000 people.

I'm telling you.  KCK is just an odd place if you ask me.  They would think they have a subway if a full size city bus drove down state ave (or even a 25 passenger bus).  :shock:

TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

I meant the State Ave non-BRT line from downtown to Village West I quoted.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

Grid, KCK uses the ATA and its regular sized buses, including on the State Avenue route.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

dangerboy wrote: Grid, KCK uses the ATA and its regular sized buses, including on the State Avenue route.
Then what is "the bus", like OATS or something?  There is no website or anything.

This town needs one bus system.