MoDOT Unfunded Needs

Transportation topics in KC
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

MoDOT Unfunded Needs

Post by DaveKCMO »

MoDOT is on tour now talking about "Unfunded Needs" and multimodal funding is in there. It's assumed that's what they'll dole out with any funds that go directly to DOTs from the IIJA.

https://www.modot.org/unfundedneeds

There's a public meeting in KC about it on Tuesday, Dec. 7:

https://www.modot.org/high-priority-unf ... c-meetings

In conversations at MARC, it was suggested that the "multimodal" split would be three ways equally between bike/ped, transit, and freight.

The State of Missouri provides about $350,000 annually for the entirety of the KC metro transit system (that's maybe one infrequent bus line with no overhead costs) and zero support for bike infrastructure unless it's through discretionary federal grants.
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: MoDOT Unfunded Needs

Post by alejandro46 »

$100M for I70 from 670 to 435. Does anybody know what exactly that entails? Bridge replacements?
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Lets say they gave us funds for the E-W expansion- how long would that be until that gets started up?

Also, do we *have* to go all the way to TSC with E-W on Phase 3? I feel like if we maybe did half of that instead all lofty 7 miles this would be much easier and more realistic to get going. Would that help speed things up?
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I imagine it will pay for resurfacing, bridge replacements, and widening. I believe the state has had this on the back burner for a while, so the minute the funds hit the state treasury the work will begin. Possibly by next summer, I would guess.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:08 pm Lets say they gave us funds for the E-W expansion- how long would that be until that gets started up?
The fastest we've done anything streetcar is five years and that was just the first two miles. Same for MAX, which have been between 6 and 10 miles. The federal process is slow, but necessary for the capital funding.
Also, do we *have* to go all the way to TSC with E-W on Phase 3? I feel like if we maybe did half of that instead all lofty 7 miles this would be much easier and more realistic to get going. Would that help speed things up?
The study will sort this out.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

FangKC wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:27 am I imagine it will pay for resurfacing, bridge replacements, and widening. I believe the state has had this on the back burner for a while, so the minute the funds hit the state treasury the work will begin. Possibly by next summer, I would guess.
That's too much for just bridge repair and not enough for widening. Looks to me like this project is going to be a rebuild of pretty much what is there. So basically rip out the sub concrete and rebuild the lanes.

Unless MODot has money stashed away to do a full blown redesign and widening in addition to the 100 million. You are probably looking at a 200-400 million dollar project to totally rebuild and widen I-70 from the Loop to 435 to 8 lanes with aux lanes. And if they do that, I'm sure it would likely include straightening out the curves.

My bet is Modot spends the next few years putting all traffic on one side of 70 while rebuilding the other side back to the original three lanes with the same alignment with maybe some slight straightening of the curves. Modot too cheap to do much else.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

President Biden coming to KC next week to push the infrastructure bill

https://www.kansascity.com/news/politic ... 36442.html

Am I the only one who thinks its strange/funny that KC literally didn't get jack shit from this bill and yet Biden is championing it here in KC as a success story?
Major KC Fan
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Major KC Fan »

If you read the article it makes mention of the amount that the bill provides for KS & MO- what it is to be spent on is not yet delineated. Perhaps this is an opportunity for local leaders to make that evident to the powers that will spend the money (southloop cap, etc.)
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Major KC Fan wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 5:38 pm If you read the article it makes mention of the amount that the bill provides for KS & MO- what it is to be spent on is not yet delineated. Perhaps this is an opportunity for local leaders to make that evident to the powers that will spend the money (southloop cap, etc.)
Yeah, it's the same crap about "muh roads and bridges" that'll probably all go to some rural towns that we've never heard of. What is KC getting out of this..?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:04 pm
Major KC Fan wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 5:38 pm If you read the article it makes mention of the amount that the bill provides for KS & MO- what it is to be spent on is not yet delineated. Perhaps this is an opportunity for local leaders to make that evident to the powers that will spend the money (southloop cap, etc.)
Yeah, it's the same crap about "muh roads and bridges" that'll probably all go to some rural towns that we've never heard of. What is KC getting out of this..?
It will take a few months for the money to get out the door, and that will just be through existing formula programs. Much of this funding is for competitive grant programs that have to be noticed, applied for, vetted, and then announced. That process takes more than a few months and is an annual thing over the life of the bill.

In short, it just passed. Give it a minute.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

DaveKCMO wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 3:49 pm
It will take a few months for the money to get out the door, and that will just be through existing formula programs. Much of this funding is for competitive grant programs that have to be noticed, applied for, vetted, and then announced. That process takes more than a few months and is an annual thing over the life of the bill.

Aside from the south loop grant, which we missed on, what’s left that we are even trying to get? As far as I’ve seen, haven’t heard anything else beyond the Cap that we missed on that we’re trying to get.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:20 pm

Aside from the south loop grant, which we missed on, what’s left that we are even trying to get? As far as I’ve seen, haven’t heard anything else beyond the Cap that we missed on that we’re trying to get.
No offense, but I don't think you understand how any of this works.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

grovester wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:21 pm

You’re probably right. But what more grants are we looking for? What projects beyond roads are we aiming for in this bill? That’s all I wanna know
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:37 pm
grovester wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:21 pm

You’re probably right. But what more grants are we looking for? What projects beyond roads are we aiming for in this bill? That’s all I wanna know
No one's going to tell you that right now. Sorry.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Everyone's going to be fighting for the funds but we have some projects that should be at least in consideration:
~71Hwy restructure connecting historically black neighborhoods divided by it's construction.
~670 Cap allowing better street integration and green space for urban area.
~Green Line bike and walking construction around an urban center and better allowing less need for automobile transportation.
~Buck ONeil bridge redevelopment allowing bike and walking across historic bridge to Harlem. (I doubt this is on the list for consideration, but I'd like it to be.)
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

beautyfromashes wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:25 pm Everyone's going to be fighting for the funds but we have some projects that should be at least in consideration:
~71Hwy restructure connecting historically black neighborhoods divided by it's construction.
~670 Cap allowing better street integration and green space for urban area.
~Green Line bike and walking construction around an urban center and better allowing less need for automobile transportation.
~Buck ONeil bridge redevelopment allowing bike and walking across historic bridge to Harlem. (I doubt this is on the list for consideration, but I'd like it to be.)
This all would be so much more efficient if they'd award the funds to each county proportionally instead of to each state.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

KC public meeting 4-6pm tonight at MARC, 600 Broadway! https://www.modot.org/high-priority-unf ... c-meetings
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

From the local news clip tonight:

"Director McKenna says one of the reoccurring comments that he's heard on this feedback tour, is ways to make improvement to infrastructure that doesn't involve drivers- ways to improve access, and make things safer for bicyclists and walkers too."