KCI Flight Schedule Adjustments

Transportation topics in KC
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: KCI Flight Schedule Adjustments

Post by normalthings »

flyingember wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 1:21 pm
normalthings wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 3:03 pm From 2018... some of these even have daily Amtrak service already!
daily amtrak service at 45mph vs an airplane at 250mph.

There's clear value in shifting these 60-100 mile trips to rail but it would be a huge investment to get there
yea the 12 maximum people getting moved daily on EAS vs the few hundred via Amtrak. With a $10 million operating budget for Amtrak you could hit a dozen rural towns.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

JetBlue launched JFK to London last week. Read they hope to have 5 daily service next year. Hope they make us a hub!
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

KC to Hawaii traffic at an all time high in 2021 (just above 2019 levels). 130+ PPDEW in Q2 despite no direct flights. We are one of the largest markets without. UA and Aa dominate this market KC to Hawaii connecting market
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

normalthings wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:11 pm KC to Hawaii traffic at an all time high in 2021 (just above 2019 levels). 130+ PPDEW in Q2 despite no direct flights. We are one of the largest markets without. UA and Aa dominate this market KC to Hawaii connecting market
Does HA serve any markets in the center of the country outside of Chicago, Dallas and Denver?
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Hawaii is a weird one where I don’t mind connecting through lax. Breaks the trip into two nice chunks. Not that I would turn down a direct.

I’m still waiting for European news 🙏
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

WoodDraw wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:55 pm Hawaii is a weird one where I don’t mind connecting through lax. Breaks the trip into two nice chunks. Not that I would turn down a direct.

I’m still waiting for European news 🙏
Agreed. Traveling west to Hawaii you gain hours and usually arrive about the time you left so I don’t get the jet lag like going to Europe where you arrive early in the morning and have to stay up.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

IcelandAir Left MCI due to the 737 MAX groundings. They are back to 9 operational units with 3 more to be delivered this winter. As of October 21, Icelandair is looking to lease another 3 units for additional summer 2022 capacity. I hope that they come back to KC.

https://www.flightglobal.com/airlines/i ... 28.article

Also to note...
Icelandair Group states that, while passenger traffic is still recovering, freight volumes have exceeded pre-crisis levels.

“Demand continues to be robust for export and the growth in import is strong,” it states.

Icelandair Cargo has previously disclosed plans to convert two Boeing 767-300ERs into freighters and the division will introduce them to its fleet in September 2022.
dev49
New York Life
New York Life

Post by dev49 »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:34 pm
normalthings wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:11 pm KC to Hawaii traffic at an all time high in 2021 (just above 2019 levels). 130+ PPDEW in Q2 despite no direct flights. We are one of the largest markets without. UA and Aa dominate this market KC to Hawaii connecting market
Does HA serve any markets in the center of the country outside of Chicago, Dallas and Denver?

They serve Austin.

They don’t serve chicago, Dallas or Denver.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

WoodDraw wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 5:09 pm Neither are very good partners, and one doesn't exist anymore. Not sure what happened in the bankruptcy.

Not about partners though, it's about flights.

I'd take it though.

Move this discussion to the right thread.....

Icelandair of course is not as great as BA to London or Delta/AF/KLM. But we don't have the incentive package to land one of the big boys and may also not have the demand to fill them up year-round. We do have the demand for Icelandair service without incentives. Icelandair can come in and grow the market with very little initial investment and get us to a place where the traditional airlines feel comfortable investing.

In an ideal world: JetBlue expands KC into a central US hub and becomes the favored airline by locals. Business traffic is able to earn and redeem points on Hawaiian and Icelandair service to KC.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Icelandair isn’t going to cut it for me. We had them with an old outdated airport. We need to see some return on an investment for a new airport. The minimum I’d expect is a direct flight to a major European city.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

beautyfromashes wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 6:09 pm The minimum I’d expect is a direct flight to a major European city.
I just don't think we will be able to pony up the required incentives. Delta cut IND which is probably our closest pier with US3 service. Cincinnati - CDG service is to get reinstated in 2022 but has been pushed back a few times.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Kc just has too many close hubs. It’s a one hour flight or so to some of the biggest hubs in the world.

I’m not familiar with all of them, but you have Dallas, Houston, Chicago, Atlanta, and twin cities like an hour away.

It’ll have to be demand based where they just run out of slots there
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I think the most international flights out of Kansas City are to Mexico, am I correct?
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

FangKC wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 11:26 pm I think the most international flights out of Kansas City are to Mexico, am I correct?
Besides one flight to Toronto daily, Cancun is the only international destination we have right now.
dev49
New York Life
New York Life

Post by dev49 »

beautyfromashes wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 12:43 am
FangKC wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 11:26 pm I think the most international flights out of Kansas City are to Mexico, am I correct?
Besides one flight to Toronto daily, Cancun is the only international destination we have right now.
And the Toronto flight still hasn't come back since covid. Right now its scheduled for May 1 return, but that could get pushed.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

dev49 wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 3:45 pm And the Toronto flight still hasn't come back since covid. Right now its scheduled for May 1 return, but that could get pushed.
And it can't really be used for a layover to Europe because it's in the afternoon/evening, so only can be used as a destination flight.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Icelandair and Jetblue launched an expansion of their partnership today. Might have to visit Iceland once B6 comes to down.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Southwest International service from KC launched today.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

To Cancun I believe too.
dev49
New York Life
New York Life

Post by dev49 »

normalthings wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 4:29 pm Southwest International service from KC launched today.
Tomorrow technically