Bike Lanes

Transportation topics in KC
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: Bike Lanes

Post by normalthings »

Title: Directing the City Manager to remove bicycle lanes that have been installed in the Third District within the last 12 months and to establish new policies pertaining to the installation of new bicycle lanes within the Third District; exempting the Third District from the Complete Streets policy; and updating this Ordinance every four years.
Sponsors: Melissa Robinson
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

What a joke, how dare anyone want to travel outside of using a car
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

3rd and 5th districts are more influenced by Raytown and Lee’s Summit than they are the DT area. Bares very poorly for a continued DT growth and building core.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

normalthings wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:14 pm Title: Directing the City Manager to remove bicycle lanes that have been installed in the Third District within the last 12 months and to establish new policies pertaining to the installation of new bicycle lanes within the Third District; exempting the Third District from the Complete Streets policy; and updating this Ordinance every four years.
Is this a real thing?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

kboish wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 4:03 pm
normalthings wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:14 pm Title: Directing the City Manager to remove bicycle lanes that have been installed in the Third District within the last 12 months and to establish new policies pertaining to the installation of new bicycle lanes within the Third District; exempting the Third District from the Complete Streets policy; and updating this Ordinance every four years.
Is this a real thing?
filed yesterday in Legistar

https://clerk.kcmo.gov/LegislationDetai ... s=&Search=

WHEREAS, the City Council recognizes that bicycle lanes are important to a healthy community; and

WHEREAS, collaboration with and consent from neighborhood associations and residents is a critical step prior to the installation of bicycle lanes; and

WHEREAS, it is important for City staff to share and identify opportunity costs with neighborhood associations and residents regarding the installation of bicycle lanes in order to promote the walkability of neighborhoods; and

WHEREAS, the Third District prioritizes safe routes to school and walkability first; and

WHEREAS, the City has installed bicycle lanes without the proper community engagement which creates additional distrust of city government; NOW THEREFORE,

BE IT ORDAINED BY THE COUNCIL OF KANSAS CITY:

Section 1. That the City Manager is directed to remove bicycle lanes that have been installed in the Third District within the last 12 months unless the neighborhood association where the bicycle lanes are installed has sent or sends a written approval of the bicycle lane within the next 60 days from the date of passage of this ordinance.

Section 2. That no additional bicycle lanes will be installed in the Third District without written approval from both Third District Councilmembers. Before requests for additional bicycle lanes will be considered by the Third District Councilmembers, all sidewalks within a one-mile radius of the proposed installation must be repaired, all crosswalks must be striped in the appropriate areas and written consent from the neighborhood(s) where the bicycle lane(s) is proposed to be installed is required.

Section 3. That the directives in Committee Substitute for Resolution No. 200558 pertaining to providing automatic bulky item pickup within a twelve-block radius of all k-12 school buildings located in the city’s six high priority zip codes with lowest life expectancy as identified by the City’s Health Department must be implemented before approval is sought from the Third District Councilmembers for additional bicycle lane installation.

Section 4. That priority areas for bicycle lanes in the Third District are hereby declared as 23rd Street, Van Brunt Boulevard and Truman Road. Written approval of the proposed bicycle lane(s) is required from the Neighborhood and Community Improvement Districts within those corridors.

Section 5. That the Third District is hereby declared exempt from the Complete Streets policy contained in Chapter 64, Article II, Code of Ordinances.

Section 6. That the City Manager is directed to update this ordinance every four years from the date of passage.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

beautyfromashes wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:24 pm 3rd and 5th districts are more influenced by Raytown and Lee’s Summit than they are the DT area. Bares very poorly for a continued DT growth and building core.
Needs testimony (in person or email)
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I'm guessing this is about priorities in that District. Residents might feel the City should be spending on repairing sidewalks and picking up bulky items from neighborhoods more quickly. I see this complaint regularly on the neighborhood's Facebook page. Residents don't feel installing bike lanes should come before these things are first resolved. I would say if you talked to anyone living in the Third District, you would get an earful about how these are long-ignored issues. Probably some other Districts too. One could surmise that while they appreciate the City spending any money in their neighborhood, it angers them that these things aren't being addressed first.

I'm not opposed to bike lanes. However, I encounter sidewalks that have heaved up a six-to-eight inches in places around my neighborhood. Stepped over one just today. Things like this are trip hazards and in some cases are barriers to those in wheelchairs, or with mobility challenges -- forcing them into the street to bypass them. My neighborhood certainly is not among the worst in this respect either.

That's what I think this is all about.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

FangKC wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:32 pm I'm guessing this is about priorities in that District. Residents might feel the City should be spending on repairing sidewalks and picking up bulky items from neighborhoods more quickly. I see this complaint regularly on the neighborhood's Facebook page. Residents don't feel installing bike lanes should come before these things are first resolved. I would say if you talked to anyone living in the Third District, you would get an earful about how these are long-ignored issues. Probably some other Districts too. One could surmise that while they appreciate the City spending any money in their neighborhood, it angers them that these things aren't being addressed first.

I'm not opposed to bike lanes. However, I encounter sidewalks that have heaved up a six-to-eight inches in places around my neighborhood. Stepped over one just today. Things like this are trip hazards and in some cases are barriers to those in wheelchairs, or with mobility challenges -- forcing them into the street to bypass them. My neighborhood certainly is not among the worst in this respect either.

That's what I think this is all about.
My neighborhood doesn’t have sidewalks but it also doesn’t have storm sewers.

The city has hundreds of millions of cost in its backlog to bring neighborhoods up to current standards.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

I think the city is capable and must be able to address multiple issues at once.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

That is not the point. Yes, the City can do those things. I am just REPORTING what I read and hear, and giving an analysis of why a politician is acting a certain way. In her District, her actions might make sense. In her District, she might not get re-elected if she ignores the wishes of her constituents.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

FangKC wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:48 am That is not the point. Yes, the City can do those things. I am just REPORTING what I read and hear, and giving an analysis of why a politician is acting a certain way. In her District, her actions might make sense. In her District, she might not get re-elected if she ignores the wishes of her constituents.
East Side usually votes in blocks with strong influence from political groups and large church populations. My guess is one of the older big players in one of those groups made a complaint to her and she acted for her best interest. I wouldn't think there would be a huge groundswell of constituents demanding money from the city be spent to remove something instead of building something.
swid
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by swid »

Opposing bike lane installation (without the *perception* of fixing other basic infrastructure at the same time) is an easy shorthand for a sentiment of "see, look what those gentrifiers have made a priority for our neighborhoods - just another sign that they'll be buying up our homes and will be kicking us out just so some jerks who can't afford to live near Brookside will move here instead".
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

If priorities are really a concern, maybe the third district councilmembers shoudn't be voting tens of millions for northland soccer complexes.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

The fighting gentrification angle might be the correct read. Why demand that something be removed after spending City money installing it?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

60+% increase for bike/ped projects, a requirement for states to address bicycling and walking safety, and the first climate title ever in a transportation bill!
https://twitter.com/CaronWhitaker/statu ... 9891930115

Of course it will take a few years for DOTs to actually change their behavior -- rulemaking, public outreach, etc. Saw the same thing with State Rail Plans and Public Transportation Agency Safety Plans.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

All the neighborhood groups up and down The Paseo are in opposition to bike lanes on that blvd. People have seen the cluttered mess on Gilham and do not like it. If only there was a way to do it without the upright poles opposition might be less.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Make it a shared use path. Who could possibly argue with a 10-foot sidewalk?
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Maybe if they did it on Ward Pkwy?
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

moderne wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 11:11 am All the neighborhood groups up and down The Paseo are in opposition to bike lanes on that blvd. People have seen the cluttered mess on Gilham and do not like it. If only there was a way to do it without the upright poles opposition might be less.
Protected bike lanes would accomplish that, except at corners, and then they could limit the poles to the ones that keep people from parking in the daylight zones. Gillham is different because it's exposed. Anyone who glances at the wheelstops along the Gillham bike lanes should understand why the poles are there. Certainly Paseo, especially south of 31st where the road is 60' wide (10' wider than Gillham), is wide enough for protected bike lanes. It's unfortunate that residents are being led to believe that turning down bike lanes will result in more sidewalks being repaired. What's more likely is that neither thing happens.

If you look at where in KC the fewest people have a car, putting bike lanes on Paseo (or even further east) makes far more sense than Ward Parkway. And I suspect that if bike lanes were installed on Ward Parkway, people would complain that only affluent neighborhoods got bike lanes. But, yeah, this is fun.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

moderne wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 11:11 am All the neighborhood groups up and down The Paseo are in opposition to bike lanes on that blvd. People have seen the cluttered mess on Gilham and do not like it. If only there was a way to do it without the upright poles opposition might be less.
Gilham is cluttered?