OFFICIAL - New KCI Terminal

Transportation topics in KC
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Re: OFFICIAL - New KCI Terminal

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Isn't Loar the councilmember most people on this forum get annoyed with the most?
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

Kind of surprised to see how quickly and overwhelmingly the KC Council approved the selection of the vendor. The Star and a few others seemed geared to turn the process into a major scandal (I doubt if the Star gives up so easily).
horizons82
New York Life
New York Life

Post by horizons82 »

The star is desperate for readership and relevance. I expect them to pull crap like this more often moving forward.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Star/KCI Click Generator:

1. Councilperson feeds 'controversy' to editorial board.
2. Editorial board cries 'OMG controversy!' or 'pump the brakes!'
3. News desk seeks comment from everyone else to ensure 'controversy' remains active -- just doing our job!
4. Less-thorough broadcast newsrooms parrot the Big Local Newspaper headline, gathering on-camera sound bites, extending the 'controversy' until final Council vote.

Rinse and repeat until the terminal opens to much fanfare and amazing reviews -- which will also generate many clicks.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

Exactly. They’ve really adopted the Fox news model where they generate the news through controversial editorials and “reporting” that follows their established narrative in order to legitimize those takes.

And then in a few years they will report on how successful and nice it is and pretend every thing reported never happened and have no accountability for their inaccuracies or fear mongering.
herrfrank
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by herrfrank »

Goonies wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 1:07 pm Highly doubt they {the KC Star} will be around in a couple of years
We need to prepare for this outcome. I think it might happen, although it appears that the Star's circulation has reached something of a gradual bottom (at 1000 bucks per year!)

Someone in the metro will need to publish a tabloid if not a broadsheet. It's hard to take an area seriously without a newspaper.
TheSmokinPun
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by TheSmokinPun »

I often dream about getting a crowdfund together & buying it ourselves.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

There are some new outlets doing good reporting -- Kansas City Beacon and Kansas Reflector are two interesting nonprofits. Shawnee Mission Post, Sunflower State Journal, KCUR, and the Biz Journal cover a lot. While Twitter is not 100% reliable -- everyone needs an editor -- it's the place for breaking news that doesn't necessarily come from journalists.

The Star is now a hollowed out front for a for-profit corporation. Sometimes it's easy to blame the writers, but the problem starts at the top and with the fixed costs of a print edition and all of that manual distribution the days are numbered. I doubt it can be rescued as a nonprofit.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

DaveKCMO wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:00 am The Star is now a hollowed out front
The Star's parent that is. If a more formidable media company acquired KC Star, probably would've been passable. But nearly all traditional media increased click bait out of desperation with more sensationalizing and less journalistic integrity. Even sources that used to be considered 'analytical' (The Atlantic left, National Review right) are getting more sensationalized 'opinion' editorial articles and less analytical.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

DaveKCMO wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:00 am There are some new outlets doing good reporting -- Kansas City Beacon and Kansas Reflector are two interesting nonprofits. Shawnee Mission Post, Sunflower State Journal, KCUR, and the Biz Journal cover a lot. While Twitter is not 100% reliable -- everyone needs an editor -- it's the place for breaking news that doesn't necessarily come from journalists.

The Star is now a hollowed out front for a for-profit corporation. Sometimes it's easy to blame the writers, but the problem starts at the top and with the fixed costs of a print edition and all of that manual distribution the days are numbered. I doubt it can be rescued as a nonprofit.
I'd add the Missouri independent to this list.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Floors!

GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Looking good. I think I will book a flight for the month it opens.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I remember just driving up and parking at the airport to walk around after the last renovations. Definitely going to book a flight this time and experience the whole thing and show up hours early!
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Wonder if they will have an open house before operations begin like they did with Bartle Hall in '94 and Union Station in 1914?
swid
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by swid »

An open house with "boarding passes" for airside access would be a good way to stress-test the terminal.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

moderne wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:30 am Wonder if they will have an open house before operations begin like they did with Bartle Hall in '94 and Union Station in 1914?
You would have to go through TSA security if they have one.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

normalthings wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:14 pm
moderne wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:30 am Wonder if they will have an open house before operations begin like they did with Bartle Hall in '94 and Union Station in 1914?
Given it would likely need to be before operations, I don't see this as a barrier.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

flyingember wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:34 pm
normalthings wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:14 pm
Given it would likely need to be before operations, I don't see this as a barrier.
The opportunity to see the airport before it opens will be to participate in the startup testing. Airport projects get turned over to TSA earlier than you think
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Finished floor

earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Looks like a sand mandala created by a Tibetan Buddhist monk. Or Aztec interpretation of Sol.