Phase Three Streetcar Expansion

Transportation topics in KC

What route should the third phase of streetcar expansion follow?

Linwood: Main to Michigan(71 Highway)
10%
Country Club ROW: UMKC to Brookside/Waldo
22%
Country Club ROW: UMKC through Brookside/Waldo to Prospect
13%
Linwood: Main to Emanuel Cleaver 2
12%
City/County Wide Rail Project
36%
Other
8%

Total votes: 111

normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: Phase Three Streetcar Expansion

Post by normalthings »

KCPowercat wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:38 am why would it be single track? Maybe I missed where that was said somewhere? That would be a long stretch
Yes, north rail proposed a single track. Double track on HOA was roughly the same price as building a dedicated rail bridge iirc.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I don't build bridges but that seems insane.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

I checked:

Double lane new bridge: $41 million
1 streetcar lane on existing HOA bridge (no widening): $23 million
1 streetcar lane + widening for bike/ped lane:$35 million. Safe to assume (IMHO) that 2 lanes of streetcar on HOA would far surpass the cost of a 2 lane new bridg.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Don't forget that the dialog around HOA should be very different now that O'Neil is funded and will have improvements (direct I-35 to US-169). The big question from that is does MoDOT still think they need HOA as part of their system (probably but maybe not), especially if it's brought down to grade in Columbus Park. If they agree -- as they did recently to decommission US-24 on Independence Avenue -- then who takes ownership of the bridge? KCMO did that for the starter line's bridge over I-670 and was already maintaining Independence Avenue.

Long story short, with MoDOT out of the picture their highway-focused requirements for hosting streetcar might change or go away.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

DaveKCMO wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:04 pm Don't forget that the dialog around HOA should be very different now that O'Neil is funded and will have improvements (direct I-35 to US-169). The big question from that is does MoDOT still think they need HOA as part of their system (probably but maybe not), especially if it's brought down to grade in Columbus Park. If they agree -- as they did recently to decommission US-24 on Independence Avenue -- then who takes ownership of the bridge? KCMO did that for the starter line's bridge over I-670 and was already maintaining Independence Avenue.

Long story short, with MoDOT out of the picture their highway-focused requirements for hosting streetcar might change or go away.
Could HOA be turned into a pedestrian bridge with a streetcar route?
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

flyingember wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:59 am
alejandro46 wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:48 am
KCPowercat wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:38 am why would it be single track? Maybe I missed where that was said somewhere? That would be a long stretch
Yes, it was originally scoped in North Rail as single track I believe to reduce costs and to keep car traffic. I believe that bridge also is up for an overhaul in the next 5-10yr plus with the new Buck bridge, they'll study what it would take to run double track plus appropriate bike/walking lanes over the HoA. It shouldn't have much impact on traffic, that bridge is always very low traffic when I drive over it and avg speeds hit like 70+ in a 45 so it could use some traffic calming.
What's your source for an overhaul? I haven't seen any plans for this and would like to see them.
I believe that idea was the track would replace the bike lane and build a new bike lane further over. the SB side is three lanes, the NB side two. They wanted the track on the outside of the bridge for reasons I forget.

Most the traffic is north of 10th Ave and that's entirely caused by a bad traffic signal setup. Swift is usually completely empty while Burlington is a parking lot.
Just earlier on this thread it was discussed since the bridge was built in 1986. Nothing specific. Any streetcar could definitely be incorporated to Beyond the Loop goal of moving 9 at grade.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

normalthings wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:37 pm I checked:

1 streetcar lane + widening for bike/ped lane:$35 million. Safe to assume (IMHO) that 2 lanes of streetcar on HOA would far surpass the cost of a 2 lane new bridg.
Ahhh, I wasn't considering it would have to be widened. That would make sense. Why not just run in traffic and not widen?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

KCPowercat wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:12 pm
normalthings wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:37 pm I checked:

Ahhh, I wasn't considering it would have to be widened. That would make sense. Why not just run in traffic and not widen?
The Heart of America Bridge has a posted speed limit of 45 mph. The generally accepted guideline for safe operation of a streetcar in mixed traffic is 35 mph. Reduction of the speed on the HOA Bridge was deemed as impractical, so streetcar operation in an exclusive lane were identified as a critical design parameter.
If Highway 9 is brought to grade, I support taking the 2 inner lanes and coverting to protected ROW streetcar.

From NorthRail.

1 lane streetcar on HOA

2 Way Streetcar on HOA

New Bridge

KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Appreciate doing all that research since apparently I was too lazy to just look myself.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

For reference, the bridge is 1.1 miles from 3rd to 10th. It would have to be really bad weather for the train to take more than 3 minutes to cross.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

flyingember wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:24 pm For reference, the bridge is 1.1 miles from 3rd to 10th. It would have to be really bad weather for the train to take more than 3 minutes to cross.
yeah, but you always have a few minutes delay on each end to make sure the single track is cleared etc. It's likely to cause delays. I wouldn't do it unless there is just no other way. I guess they can add the second track later. This seems like a good candidate for the infrastructure money they are throwing around.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

A dedicated bridge seems cheaper than building a second lane eventually. It would also provide service to Columbus Park. I wonder if Bar-K and CORE prevent it from happening now.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

The one problem I can see with a dedicated bridge though is maintenance cost. A shared bridge means that maintenance for the span will be a shared one, where a dedicated bridge will be the sole responsibility of the streetcar authority.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

normalthings wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 11:56 pm A dedicated bridge seems cheaper than building a second lane eventually. It would also provide service to Columbus Park. I wonder if Bar-K and CORE prevent it from happening now.
Can still service CP when bring 9 down as part of this extension
Walker
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Walker »

Need to connect SFH into the system. I liked Brookside/Waldo idea but expanding east/west might achieve the same thing
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

Streetcar Board agenda for this week

East/West High Capacity Transit Study
i. ACTION- Approval of KCSA contribution to east/west high capacity transit/streetcar
study, in an amount not to exceed $75,000, and contingent on comparable contributions from additional project partners. Budget and Finance Recommends Approval
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Any chance they could make a center lane that is switchable. Open it to southbound traffic in the morning and northbound in the afternoon, so two lanes going with rush hour and one for the opposite direction. That is really the only time that there is much traffic. This gives north and south running train lanes and a pedestrian/biking lane while supplying plenty of capacity for morning and evening rush hour. I've seen it done in other cities.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

News from today: KC 2026 bid claiming that an expanded streetcar network and event specific busses will boost KC’s public transit profile by 2026. KC Streetcar board meeting this week includes discussions about how an expanded system would be funded and operated/maintained.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Theoretically you could go on transit all the way if you lived in a hotel anywhere along Main St and they had a bus station somewhere downtown to the TSC. They should really try to get the South loop cap built by June 2026 too.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:22 pm Theoretically you could go on transit all the way if you lived in a hotel anywhere along Main St and they had a bus station somewhere downtown to the TSC. They should really try to get the South loop cap built by June 2026 too.
What does the south loop lid have to do with this? If you're focused on the World Cup bid, there are a lot of better ways to spend that money than capping a freeway that (a) isn't that bad by US standards and (b) isn't even close to the transfer point for getting people to TSC from the Main Street Extension (that would be 31st Street, which is a horrible environment by any measure).

The east/west study will be focused on going east/west from Midtown, and there are two other freeways (71/435), an industrial river bottom, and lots of railroad tracks between Midtown and TSC so let's focus there.