OFFICIAL - New KCI Terminal

Transportation topics in KC
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Re: We are getting a new airport!!!

Post by KCPowercat »

I agree the hand wringing by the council over this is silly but that's what you get when w city council approves these versus an airport authority. Great time to grandstand and score some political points. News picks that up
Sani
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Sani »

Maybe St. Louis can give us the moving sidewalks from Concourse D at Lambert, since they haven't used them since 2003.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

KCPowercat wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:04 pm Yeah we've all been to airports with moving sidewalks Grid.
I know I'm exaggerating the moving sidewalks thing being a tourist attraction.

But I have listened to KC people act like rubes by being intimidated by other airports (which means just about every mid-large airport in the country) for 20 years now.

You have to admit. The KC area has some bizarre emotional connection to the old KCI, which IMO is an awful airport terminal. KCMO alone has 509,000 aviation experts.

Can the people just let the airport authority handle things? I have a feeling if they could just do stuff without having to go to a vote or having city hall involved, they would do a pretty good job with the airport. And KC people would figure out how to use a modern airport terminal.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I more meant mansplaining annoyances with walking sidewalks.

Totally agree this needs a regional airport authority. Teresa Loar and her idiotic questions have no business in airport administration.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Kc residents are definitely hesitant to change but not sure that's anymore than most cities our size.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

KCPowercat wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:29 pm I more meant mansplaining annoyances with walking sidewalks.

Totally agree this needs a regional airport authority. Teresa Loar and her idiotic questions have no business in airport administration.
Well, I was stating the obvious, I understand that most people on this forum (or any urban planning type forum) travel. I'm not sure "most" KC area people travel much though.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

There was a vote on it that easily passed. Wtf are we talking about?
Last edited by WoodDraw on Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Last edited by earthling on Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

WoodDraw wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:00 pm There was a vote on it that easily passed. Wtf after we talking about?
Easily passed a decade or two after it needed to.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

WoodDraw wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:27 am The biggest thing will be facial recognition, but we're so big in security theater I don't know if they'll ever automate.
Recently getting off a cruise ship I went through a test conducted by Customs if I remember correctly. Compared present day photo to passport photo. Not sure of what they were actually testing, not all passengers were selected as participants for the passport look see but all were photographed. Didn't even take 5 seconds.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

normalthings wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:07 pm
WoodDraw wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:00 pm There was a vote on it that easily passed. Wtf after we talking about?
Easily passed a decade or two after it needed to.
Agreed but that was lack of leadership. Agreeing to put it to a vote in the first place and then delaying it until the go bonds were done.

I'm all about criticizing the council and the weak mayor system we have, but the voters approved it as soon as they were given the option.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

WoodDraw wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:00 pm There was a vote on it that easily passed. Wtf are we talking about?
Agreed. It's just needless complaining. We're doing fine. As big as that vote passed by, it may have even passed 10-20 years ago, who knows.
teclis
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by teclis »

GRID, I remember taking the walking sidewalks when I worked for the IRS many years ago just so that I could admire your incredible shots of KC. I must say that it was the best part of working there. I for one really miss your photos from around town...especially the helicopter ones. You and Eric Bowers had some great threads going for awhile.
shaffe
Penntower
Penntower

Post by shaffe »

teclis wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:08 am GRID, I remember taking the walking sidewalks when I worked for the IRS many years ago just so that I could admire your incredible shots of KC. I must say that it was the best part of working there. I for one really miss your photos from around town...especially the helicopter ones. You and Eric Bowers had some great threads going for awhile.
Some of those pictures are GRID's? Neat.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Takes amazing pictures!
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

https://thebeacon.media/stories/2021/09 ... ick-fil-a/
KC LGBTQ Commission raising concern about the inclusion of Chick-fil-A in the new airport. A letter was sent to the city on Monday about it.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:18 pm https://thebeacon.media/stories/2021/09 ... ick-fil-a/
KC LGBTQ Commission raising concern about the inclusion of Chick-fil-A in the new airport. A letter was sent to the city on Monday about it.
It's annoying they chose a place that won't be open on Sunday...which is the biggest traveling day of the week..
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:23 pm
Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:18 pm https://thebeacon.media/stories/2021/09 ... ick-fil-a/
It's annoying they chose a place that won't be open on Sunday...which is the biggest traveling day of the week..
From what the article said, vantage was already looking to have an operator in the same stall for Sundays to make up for the potential lost revenue.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Hamburger Mary's to balance out anti-LGBTQ+ CFA.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

teclis wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:08 am GRID, I remember taking the walking sidewalks when I worked for the IRS many years ago just so that I could admire your incredible shots of KC. I must say that it was the best part of working there. I for one really miss your photos from around town...especially the helicopter ones. You and Eric Bowers had some great threads going for awhile.
Thanks!

We both still take pics of KC, Eric more of course since he's in the area. I actually met up with Eric last time I was in KC and had a beer in the River Market. I do miss getting more regular aerials of the city.