OFFICIAL - New KCI Terminal

Transportation topics in KC
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Re: We are getting a new airport!!!

Post by KCPowercat »

sure. They indicated they had LOI from a lot of the names on the list but that one seems like one that maybe more of a placeholder.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

I think with the push away from alcohol at airports right now, it might not be perfect timing. I agree though, I hope they're included.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

1 minute mark shows the view from the 3rd floor lounge

https://youtu.be/WQQABodzIWc
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Something i just thought of. Seems there was a lot of talk of self-tag and self-loading bags into the baggage belts without having to have an agent doing it. Wonder if we just thought that was far enough away to not worry about it? I've done it at some international terminals and it's frankly a PITA watching most people do it so probably for the best but would have been nice for those who wanted that option to bag check.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:22 pm
KCPowercat wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:22 pm Grapes and Grains will focus on local wines (yuck) and spirits.
Local wines that bad?
Amigoni produces some good wine. All the other ones I have tried are garbage.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

KCPowercat wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:20 pm Something i just thought of. Seems there was a lot of talk of self-tag and self-loading bags into the baggage belts without having to have an agent doing it. Wonder if we just thought that was far enough away to not worry about it? I've done it at some international terminals and it's frankly a PITA watching most people do it so probably for the best but would have been nice for those who wanted that option to bag check.
The problem in the us is that it doesn't really solve a problem.

Some places internationally you can check in, bag drop, scan your boarding pass at security all without talking to anyone.

In the us you still have to talk to someone at every airport I've been at.

I haven't seen a true bag drop in the us. You just have people awkwardly try to put it on their bag and then go stand in line to drop it off.

The biggest thing will be facial recognition, but we're so big in security theater I don't know if they'll ever automate.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Could be. I remember the airport officials themselves talking about adding that to the new terminal when it was first proposed as an example of the benefits a new modern looking to the future building may include. Must have come to the same conclusion that is not going to likely happen in the US.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

normalthings wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:39 pm 1 minute mark shows the view from the 3rd floor lounge

Looks awesome. Two gut reactions though are that Concourse B and the roadway are both too narrow. Hope I'm wrong.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

shinatoo wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:04 pm
normalthings wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:39 pm 1 minute mark shows the view from the 3rd floor lounge

Looks awesome. Two gut reactions though are that Concourse B and the roadway are both too narrow. Hope I'm wrong.
Only one people mover each way? So, if one breaks down it will require everyone to walk with bags. Seems there should have been some redundancy.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

beautyfromashes wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 2:45 pm
shinatoo wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:04 pm

Only one people mover each way? So, if one breaks down it will require everyone to walk with bags. Seems there should have been some redundancy.
There are airports with longer walks ripping their moving sidewalks out. It is not a long walk.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Got confused and lost with the view of the front outside with the garage reflected in the glass of the head house. Thought I was seeing double garages!
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

normalthings wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 2:50 pm There are airports with longer walks ripping their moving sidewalks out. It is not a long walk.
Any type of decent walk pulling luggage is difficult for many people in our community including the elderly and mildly disabled.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

beautyfromashes wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:31 pm
normalthings wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 2:50 pm There are airports with longer walks ripping their moving sidewalks out. It is not a long walk.
Any type of decent walk pulling luggage is difficult for many people in our community including the elderly and mildly disabled.
The elderly have access to golf cart transportation in many airports so they pull nothing
Something that’s difficult to provide today in the airport
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Never seen redundant moving walkways in any airport.

Handicapped will have golf cart options I'm sure.

I do agree it looks kind of narrow but this won't be super busy
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

kcjak wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:27 am Where does it stop? If we're going to be picky there's nothing from Independence or Olathe, which have roughly the same population as the Northland (maybe a bit less). Besides there IS a Chik-fil-A and a Dunkin lol
Northland is way more populated than Olathe or Independence. More like 350k. However, this has to be one of the dumbest debates I have heard anywhere. Even national chains are fine. Actually they are probably preferred for an airport with maybe a bbq place or something. Northland specific is retarded.

I really don't understand. Is this the same crowd that was like "I don't go to the airport to eat" back during the new terminal debate? Now they want to make sure the suburban northland is represented at the Airport? Why are people so emotionally attached to the airport there. Just let the freaking thing be a normal airport and let those that run it do just that.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Moving sidewalks are dumb anyway. Unless it's late at night or something, there are always people standing still on them that you can't get around making them slower than walking.

Considering they will be probably be a tourist attraction at the KC airport, I will be walking along side them at twice the speed. 8) .
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

We are so backwater.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

KCPowercat wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:14 pm We are so backwater.
I love KC, but yeah, some things about it are pretty backwater. This entire airport terminal thing is one of them lol. Why does every resident there take such a vested interest in what the airport does or does not do?

Somehow the airports around here figure out how to expand/renovate, find retail tenants etc without so much drama form everybody in the metro (actually without any feedback at all) and you find out about it when you show up at the airport unless there is a small article in the news about what the airports are doing.

It's the whole reason the terminals were not fixed a long time ago.

And trust me. Those moving sidewalks will be an attraction at the airport. They will be the talk of the town lol. I'm kidding kind of...

Seriously, even in bigger airports, moving sidewalks can be annoying if people don't follow subway escalator etiquette on them (stay to the right). That's why you see most business travelers walking next to them. The are amazing if you can actually walk on them though.

Doesn't really seem like the distances are even that long at KC's new terminal (it's not a very large terminal). So it's not like you really need them there.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^Wow. Unreal.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Yeah we've all been to airports with moving sidewalks Grid.