Post by normalthings »

On schedule = before draft
Ahead of schedule = even more before draft
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Re: We are getting a new airport!!!

Post by beautyfromashes »

Will the new airport have video boards at each gate announcing boarding groups? I can’t stand trying to hear boarding announcements.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

beautyfromashes wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:31 am Will the new airport have video boards at each gate announcing boarding groups? I can’t stand trying to hear boarding announcements.
Those are standard at modern airports
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

normalthings wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 11:11 am
beautyfromashes wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:31 am Will the new airport have video boards at each gate announcing boarding groups? I can’t stand trying to hear boarding announcements.
Those are standard at modern airports
I guess we’d have to define modern. I still hear the gate attendant on a crackling, muzzled microphone calling for passenger groups in most of the ones I fly to.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

I don't.

I mean, I hear a vague nonsensical warbling noise reminiscent of the adults in Peanuts cartoons wafting over the background noise of hundreds of people failing to pay any attention.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

mean wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:16 pm I don't.

I mean, I hear a vague nonsensical warbling noise reminiscent of the adults in Peanuts cartoons wafting over the background noise of hundreds of people failing to pay any attention.
Yeah, this!^ Can someone fix that for me?
herrfrank
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by herrfrank »

I'll recount here for posterity an amusing incident that happened at Dallas DFW 10 years ago. I had wandered over at T-45 from the Admirals Club to the high "C" gates, which are down a ramp, 3 or 4 gates clustered together. I was flying on the 6pm dinner flight to BDL (Hartford CT) from KC or Denver; I had customers in both cities at the time. Anyhow, the flight at the next gate was TO Kansas City. I sat down in one of few empty chairs in this large holding pen, and the couple next to me started chatting -- where are you from (I mention KC, Brookside area, Oh, we are from Platte County, etc.); what do you do (Tech); what do you think of AA and air travel nowadays, etc., etc.

In the background, I hear the noises, various fragments and gurgles, from the public address system, but as I have eyes on my gate, which door is still closed, I am not paying attention. I do vaguely recall hearing a "last call" and some names being announced, but again, not my gate so not my problem.

At this point, the wheelchairs gather at my gate, the door opens, and I rise and say my good-byes to this couple. They say, oh, is our flight boarding? I say, are you also going to Hartford? They say, NO! We are going to Kansas City like you. A silent moment ensues, and I respond: I am FROM Kansas City but I am flying TO Hartford (and I quickly make my exit and board the plane). Whoops -- as I high-tail it to the gate I notice the next gate sign "Flight Closed." Next KC departure at 10pm from gate A-something.

I felt a little bad, but it simply didn't strike me at the time to make sure this couple was fully aware about my travel plans (I fly all the time), and I figured they knew what they were doing.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

STL and I think Nashville has them.

WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

It's more about providing clear areas for everyone to line up because for some reason (carry on luggage?) everyone swarms the boarding area now even when it's not their turn.

Agreed though that I love airports/airlines that show what group they're boarding or have clear lines and don't rely on announcements.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Monitors are tablestakes of any airport now. Probably aim a little higher for our wishlists.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

KCPowercat wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:30 pm Monitors are tablestakes of any airport now. Probably aim a little higher for our wishlists.
A fountain?
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

KCPowercat wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:30 pm Monitors are tablestakes of any airport now. Probably aim a little higher for our wishlists.
I'll settle for a direct flight to San Francisco.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

grovester wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:21 am
I'll settle for a direct flight to San Francisco.
Be a big fan of some Northern California non-stops that’s for sure
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

BuildKCI posted these pictures on Facebook showing the headhouse's limestone wall. Here's the description to go along with their post...
Through heat and cold, the Build KCI team has been sweating the details in choosing and matching the limestone panels destined for the headhouse wall near airline check-in counters. The stone is up and looks great.

In the February cold, members of the Build KCI team performed a range inspection at the Phenix Marble Company in Willard, Missouri. Range inspections involve observing and approving color, stone shade spectrum, and variation in veining. Then in June, the design team worked in partnership with Carthage Stoneworks and Phenix Marble Company to arrange the stone before its installation on the wall to take into consideration any variations in the product's natural tone and veining.

More than 170 stone panels have been installed to date on the west wall of the Kansas City International Airport New Terminal Project headhouse check-in hall. Each panel ranges in size between 150 - 300 pounds and are being installed by Kansas City-based Carthage Stoneworks.
Sani
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Sani »

As long as they can mount them more securely than the folks in Birmingham did with the flight information displays in 2013...
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

I took the SkyTram at DFW last weekend. I have flown through there plenty of times, but just thinking about this thread about how seamless, quick and effortless it is to use.

The Skylink was part of a $2bln terminal and hotel expansion project. The APMs weigh 14.4 tonnes (15.9 short tons; 14.2 long tons) empty, with a weight of 21.627 tonnes (23.840 short tons; 21.285 long tons) with passengers. 2.17 miles total, with 18 trains and 5 stops. I believe they recently completed final stop to rental car facility and plan to connect to Silver Line commuter rail around 2023.

For comparison, KC Streetcar weighs 38 tons.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

The ATL layout and tram usage is more efficient methinks but DFW tram really helps with DFW mess. HOU is somewhere between. I like how Tampa layout/trams work with divided terminals, maybe my favorite layout.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

It would suck to miss out of this infrastructure bill. Is there anything they'd find persuasive from us? I assume we don't have any fees or matches available?
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Anyone else mildly annoyed that we took all this time to get money for the new airport, and then like 2 years later the infrastructure bill passes and we could've gotten it from there?

Maybe it's a good thing because then our reps can request money for different projects instead of needing to for an airport now? Maybe get money for the airport tram or the south loop cap?
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:18 am Anyone else mildly annoyed that we took all this time to get money for the new airport, and then like 2 years later the infrastructure bill passes and we could've gotten it from there?

Maybe it's a good thing because then our reps can request money for different projects instead of needing to for an airport now? Maybe get money for the airport tram or the south loop cap?
If we waited we might’ve got the wavy roof and a fountain…