Bird Scooters Have Landed

Transportation topics in KC
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Re: Bird Scooters Have Landed

Post by DaveKCMO »

Eon Blue wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:18 pm Saturday night I saw some motorcycles trying to scuff up the 10th & Baltimore BLM mural (with some success).
Did you get pics or video?
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

WoodDraw wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:41 pm These scooters were a bitch this weekend. Lots of young kids, almost always riding them on the sidewalk, dumping them there too.

I don't spend much time in the rest of the urban areas, but downtown there is zero enforcement and it feels like they dumped a shit load of these in the past week or so.
I found the scooters really annoying while we were there. Some people were using them properly which looked like those that actually live downtown, but it was like most of them were kids from the inner city and suburbs and they were basically using downtown as a giant skate park. There were probably more scooters than pedestrians, cars and cyclists combined on most streets which creates an environment to just do what you want with them. Scooters just thrown everywhere and skid marks all over the place. KC is one of first cities I have seen scooters so heavily used as toys and you notice it a lot more in KC since there is hardly anybody else around to force them off the sidewalks and stuff. Just thought it was kinda of annoying. I guess it gives people a reason to go downtown.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Sturdier Bird model available and scooters have launched in KCK.

https://fox4kc.com/news/bird-scooters-n ... nt-in-kck/
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I like the new models a lot. Had problems with it letting me stop my ride saying it was outside the service area. Finally a phone reboot fixed it but very annoying I had been using one to get somewhere on a time crunch.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Bird coming to Prairie Village for a 9-month pilot: https://shawneemissionpost.com/2021/06/ ... ge-125574/
herrfrank
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by herrfrank »

DaveKCMO wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:37 pm Bird coming to Prairie Village for a 9-month pilot: https://shawneemissionpost.com/2021/06/ ... ge-125574/
Amusingly, I saw two abandoned scooters last week around 9pm on Indian Lane on the Kansas City Country Club easement -- between 63d and Mission Drive. I wondered how they got that far from downtown.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

herrfrank wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:22 pm
DaveKCMO wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:37 pm Bird coming to Prairie Village for a 9-month pilot: https://shawneemissionpost.com/2021/06/ ... ge-125574/
Amusingly, I saw two abandoned scooters last week around 9pm on Indian Lane on the Kansas City Country Club easement -- between 63d and Mission Drive. I wondered how they got that far from downtown.
They set them out in Brookside.
KCKev
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCKev »

shinatoo wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:00 am
herrfrank wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:22 pm
They set them out in Brookside.
Maybe rich parents bought them there own so the could annoy you with out having geofencing to limit where they can go. Think amazon had a special on them.😎
If you're not on the EDGE, you're taking up TOO MUCH ROOM!
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Minneapolis requires scooters be locked to something, like bike share is here. The only stray scooters I saw were still parked next to something like a telephone pole, but not actually locked (which was not common). Amazing what a difference it makes when just walking around.

Chicago requires the same.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

can not figure out the new kick stands
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

normalthings wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:56 pm can not figure out the new kick stands
I straddle over it when the trip is complete and pull back on the handlebars while kicking the kickstand forward -- at least that's how it sounds to me when not standing over the new Bird model when writing this.
SWFan
New York Life
New York Life

Post by SWFan »

Those Bird scooters have migrated to Liberty, MO as well.

https://www.mycouriertribune.com/entert ... ffe9c.html

I noticed them a couple months ago. The article mentions downtown, but I've seen them all over Liberty, well outside downtown, like over near I-35 & MO-152 as well as along Liberty Drive.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Spin is also headed to NKC, after Bird launched there awhile back.
TheSmokinPun
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by TheSmokinPun »

I can't ever imagine riding a scooter anywhere near that stretch of 152 with all the stoplights. Even the strip malls are a nightmare of people driving like maniacs.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

TheSmokinPun wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:54 pm I can't ever imagine riding a scooter anywhere near that stretch of 152 with all the stoplights. Even the strip malls are a nightmare of people driving like maniacs.
There’s a bike path width sidewalk along part of it.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Has there ever been a ticket given for riding a scooter downtown?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I feel like early on there were. Probably more than moving violations for cars over the same time period.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

WoodDraw wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:26 pm Has there ever been a ticket given for riding a scooter downtown?
I'd much rather see a fine to operators when they park the scooters in a row blocking the sidewalk.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Man they're just so dangerous. I love the idea but I can't tell you how many times I've almost been hit at a corner.

It seems to me that if you can't enforce keeping them off the sidewalks, they're better to disappear. I spend half my time walking picking them up and moving them to correct places.

I hate these things so much
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

beautyfromashes wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 4:07 pm
WoodDraw wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:26 pm Has there ever been a ticket given for riding a scooter downtown?
I'd much rather see a fine to operators when they park the scooters in a row blocking the sidewalk.
How do you prove they parked in the row? The scooters can be moved after they’re parked.