Phase 2 streetcar to North Kansas City

Transportation topics in KC
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Re: Phase 2 streetcar to North Kansas City

Post by KCPowercat »

The route tom tweeted looked like it took 5th to cherry to use the bridge so it would make sense to combine those projects and may help woo some RM and CP residents who were reluctant on the lowering project with a better streetcar connection north and south.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

DaveKCMO wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 10:16 am
KCPowercat wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 10:06 am Love to be connected to NKC. Could this also be combined with a lowering of 9 highway project?
It could be. The updated study would need to take that into consideration since I don't think it was part of the original NorthRail study.
It wasn't. The study looked only at turning towards 3rd/Grand comparing using the current bridge as is vs building a new one
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

KCATA, KCS, and NKC to put up to $225,000 to study NKC Streetcar
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

normalthings wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 12:32 am KCATA, KCS, and NKC to put up to $225,000 to study NKC Streetcar
North rail 2.0 study coming soon
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

What’s the timeline for this?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

KC Streetcar board will discuss tomorrow at noon. Link on their website.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Just genuinely curious, but why would KCMO help fund a streetcar to a city that isn't their own- do they think KCMO will get benefits from it?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 5:37 pm Just genuinely curious, but why would KCMO help fund a streetcar to a city that isn't their own- do they think KCMO will get benefits from it?
You can't get to the rest of KCMO north of the river without going through NKC -- at least not with the river crossing alternatives that have been studied.

Also, there's no assumption here that KCMO needs to provide funding. That's what the study will figure out.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

DaveKCMO wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 5:58 pm
AlkaliAxel wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 5:37 pm Just genuinely curious, but why would KCMO help fund a streetcar to a city that isn't their own- do they think KCMO will get benefits from it?
You can't get to the rest of KCMO north of the river without going through NKC -- at least not with the river crossing alternatives that have been studied.

Also, there's no assumption here that KCMO needs to provide funding. That's what the study will figure out.
Is the idea off keeping an updated study around just to be ready if funding shows up and we need to move quickly?

I guess I haven't heard a huge appetite from anywhere North to fund anything.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

There are several choice development parcels along Burlington that would benefit from a streetcar.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

WoodDraw wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 8:40 pm

Is the idea off keeping an updated study around just to be ready if funding shows up and we need to move quickly?

NKC has always been supportive of rail. I think NKC and Riverfront + are our most likely candidates for any immediate or near term stimulus
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

normalthings wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 10:42 pm
WoodDraw wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 8:40 pm

NKC has always been supportive of rail. I think NKC and Riverfront + are our most likely candidates for any immediate or near term stimulus
I agree and that's why I was asking if it's just a play to keep shovel ready stuff for the feds. Supportive is one thing, funding is another.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

The big question in 2014 was how to pay for the river crossing. As I recall the numbers made sense if this part could be figured out.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

flyingember wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 8:02 am The big question in 2014 was how to pay for the river crossing. As I recall the numbers made sense if this part could be figured out.
I’m not gonna be picky about the streetcar because I’m glad we have one at all, but I’d prefer we go East-West before going into the northland. I think alot more people need it there than up north, and it would spur badly needed development. I understand it got shot down last time but maybe now it’s different because of the success and expansion of the current one?
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

There is only one river crossing that is actually feasible - HOA Bridge. New Bridge coming in means should be fine to get rid of lanes on HOA to replace with streetcar and trail widening no problem.

It is important to cross the river. NKC is a growning area with great bars, restaurants, single family housing and growing apartments. But more importantly, it serves as a foothold for furture extensions up North Oak and beyond.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

alejandro46 wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 12:35 pm There is only one river crossing that is actually feasible - HOA Bridge. New Bridge coming in means should be fine to get rid of lanes on HOA to replace with streetcar and trail widening no problem.

It is important to cross the river. NKC is a growning area with great bars, restaurants, single family housing and growing apartments. But more importantly, it serves as a foothold for furture extensions up North Oak and beyond.
must make sure that an NKC extension is dedicated ROW and capable of LRT style service in the future.
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

normalthings wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 1:12 pm
alejandro46 wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 12:35 pm There is only one river crossing that is actually feasible - HOA Bridge. New Bridge coming in means should be fine to get rid of lanes on HOA to replace with streetcar and trail widening no problem.

must make sure that an NKC extension is dedicated ROW and capable of LRT style service in the future.
100%////

I think any suburban-ish Streetcar needs to run in dedicated ROW or it's going to take too long to get places plus just easier to do on wider, under-used 6x6 and 4x4 roads with big ROWs.

NKC really wants the streetcar, and the hardest part of getting to the airport is crossing the river due to the $30m+ price tag with limited ability to capture funds through traditional TDD funding. A wider Northland TDD could hypotehtically help pay for that central spine N Oak - Barry Road - KCI route but never cover the bridge crossing. Lots of room to add density along that area.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

There is nothing we can do to stop construction in the suburbs. We do have the power to make that construction sense by providing light rail or streetcar that supports car free or car lite lifestyles