OFFICIAL - Main Street Streetcar Extension

Transportation topics in KC
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Re: Phase 2 streetcar to UMKC

Post by KCPowercat »

I shouldn't even ask but their reason for voting no?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

KCPowercat wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:12 am I shouldn't even ask but their reason for voting no?
O’Neil has gone anti urban core quickly
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

normalthings wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:24 am O’Neil has gone anti urban core quickly
Seems very odd for a big union supporter to vote against a union project.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

The people complaining that the tax turned on before the route opened are making me laugh.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

beautyfromashes wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:41 am
normalthings wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:24 am O’Neil has gone anti urban core quickly
Seems very odd for a big union supporter to vote against a union project.
Isn’t he the one behind defunding the riverfront walking bridge which would also have been a union project
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

normalthings wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:42 pm The people complaining that the tax turned on before the route opened are making me laugh.
Who's complaining? I'm actually quite shocked that I haven't heard a peep from anyone since we started communicating this a few months ago. Did it finally show up on channel 5 or something?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

DaveKCMO wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:54 pm
normalthings wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:42 pm The people complaining that the tax turned on before the route opened are making me laugh.
Who's complaining? I'm actually quite shocked that I haven't heard a peep from anyone since we started communicating this a few months ago. Did it finally show up on channel 5 or something?
Just neighborhood chats. Nothing big yet (or ever hopefully)
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Should really consider having a safety guy around when news crews are filming. They've got some great shots of violations before
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Is northbound Brookside Blvd going to be closed for the entire duration of the streetcar construction? It seems to just be a parking lot for heavy equipment instead of any real work going on. Also, why not just go one lane each way instead of 2 lanes going south and none going north?
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

beautyfromashes wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:36 pm Is northbound Brookside Blvd going to be closed for the entire duration of the streetcar construction? It seems to just be a parking lot for heavy equipment instead of any real work going on. Also, why not just go one lane each way instead of 2 lanes going south and none going north?
They have been replacing a HUGE water pipe on that section of Brookside. Don't know when you go by there but there has been plenty of work going on.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Some parcel owners in the new TDD received special assessment estimate notices in the mail recently even though their properties aren't in the special assessment boundary (but they're in the larger TDD, which might explain the error).

Anyway, it's a notice not a bill and will be rectified soon. The special assessments will show up on the combined property tax bill that parcel owners receive in November 2021.

KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

What was the justification for some of the voters in the TDD not part of the assessment? I'm sure those further out don't mind, just wondering.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

KCPowercat wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:56 am What was the justification for some of the voters in the TDD not part of the assessment? I'm sure those further out don't mind, just wondering.
“Walking Distance” from the line
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I remember that being a factor but it definitely isn't completely that based on the line.
herrfrank
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by herrfrank »

Thank you Dave for posting the TDD notice above -- why is tax-exempt property taxed more than twice what for-profit commercial property pays? So a million-dollar church would pay $3328 per annum and a million-dollar retail building would pay $1536 -- or am I reading the table incorrectly?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

herrfrank wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 1:12 pm Thank you Dave for posting the TDD notice above -- why is tax-exempt property taxed more than twice what for-profit commercial property pays? So a million-dollar church would pay $3328 per annum and a million-dollar retail building would pay $1536 -- or am I reading the table incorrectly?

I had the same question a while ago.

IIRC, th
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

DaveKCMO wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:11 am Some parcel owners in the new TDD received special assessment estimate notices in the mail recently even though their properties aren't in the special assessment boundary (but they're in the larger TDD, which might explain the error).

Anyway, it's a notice not a bill and will be rectified soon. The special assessments will show up on the combined property tax bill that parcel owners receive in November 2021.

I got one on Saturday and was just sitting down this morning trying to figure out why I was being taxed when I thought I lived a few blocks form the special assessment boundary. Thanks for posting - I'll be on the lookout for clarification.
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

Yep we got a nice assessment notice in the mail for our place. We are right on the border - near Sw Tfy in W. Plaza about a 12 min walk and just over half a mile. My pops was complaining about how much the assessment has gone up overall, it's an extra $500 a year I think totaling $7k, but hopefully the value keeps going up.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

alejandro46 wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:26 am Yep we got a nice assessment notice in the mail for our place. We are right on the border - near Sw Tfy in W. Plaza about a 12 min walk and just over half a mile. My pops was complaining about how much the assessment has gone up overall, it's an extra $500 a year I think totaling $7k, but hopefully the value keeps going up.
$500 per year is one month of a low end car loan, gas and insurance

That's kind of the point of why the assessment exists.

$6.5k in taxes is basically a $550-600k home in case anyone is wondering
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

flyingember wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:31 am
alejandro46 wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:26 am Yep we got a nice assessment notice in the mail for our place. We are right on the border - near Sw Tfy in W. Plaza about a 12 min walk and just over half a mile. My pops was complaining about how much the assessment has gone up overall, it's an extra $500 a year I think totaling $7k, but hopefully the value keeps going up.
$500 per year is one month of a low end car loan, gas and insurance

That's kind of the point of why the assessment exists.

$6.5k in taxes is basically a $550-600k home in case anyone is wondering
I am confused from some of the twitter thread. Our place is more than 1/3 mile away (outside of hashed line), but we are in the special assessment zone. We should be getting the special assessment, correct? I am fine with the assessment either way.

https://twitter.com/kclightrail/status/ ... 8785051652