COVID19

Come here to talk about topics that are not related to development, or even Kansas City.
earthling
One Park Place
One Park Place
Posts: 6507
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:27 pm

Re: COVID19

Post by earthling »

Global also showing an uptick or leveling off recently...
Image

kas1
Strip mall
Strip mall
Posts: 143
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:36 pm

Re: COVID19

Post by kas1 »

Testing volume had been declining in the US but it bounced back up again last week. Part of this is because of Texas having highly incomplete reporting during the storm, which of course caused the number of reported cases to fall faster than it should have. When testing volume is irregular it's better to look at the positivity rate, which is still trending downwards in the US.

Some back-of-the-napkin math tells me that the effects of vaccination should roughly cancel out the effects of the UK variant becoming dominant over the next couple months. The biggest problem at this point is people becoming complacent too soon. The number of cases is still really high even after having come down a lot, and many vulnerable people are not yet vaccinated. We need people to be patient for one more month.

earthling
One Park Place
One Park Place
Posts: 6507
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:27 pm

Re: COVID19

Post by earthling »

Brazil's mess...
https://www.npr.org/2021/03/04/97366218 ... lth-threat

They are at worst peak daily cases/deaths now...
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavir ... ry/brazil/

Also, UK variant is now the most dominant in at least 10 Euro countries. Cases for Italy, Germany, Austria, Netherlands, Czechia and others back to increasing, will take a couple more weeks to see death impact. UK declining apparently due to more restrictions.
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#c-europe%22

South Carolina was first in US to have to both UK/S African variants but so far cases/deaths overall still decreasing. Might change if/when UK variant dominates, expected to know within 3-6 weeks...
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavir ... -carolina/

User avatar
DColeKC
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower
Posts: 1086
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:50 am

Re: COVID19

Post by DColeKC »

I wonder how long until “daily new cases” doesn’t matter? It seems like there’s going to be peaks and valleys for daily cases for a long time but the trick is keeping hospitalization and severe illness very low. You know, “flatten the curve” as we were told.

I’ve read we are getting close to the level of immunity needed via vaccination and those who have had it to get back to a mostly normal way of life.

earthling
One Park Place
One Park Place
Posts: 6507
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:27 pm

Re: COVID19

Post by earthling »

On one hand the vax's reduce chances of death so case count doesn't matter as much OTOH some with COVID still can have permanent issues. Probably not a good thing when cases go up, especially if newer variants are worse and vax's not as effective. Brazil is a mess either way and not exactly something Texas should be modeling, at least don't change two variables as once. Anyone who knows anything about problem solving with deductive reasoning, you don't change two+ major variables at once (100% capacity and no mask mandate). US should probably wait a few months to see how new variants play out before opening up 100% for large events yet still continue masks for a while longer. UK is planning on a June opening.

BTW, the Brazilian variant also impacts younger people, Chinese vax they use not as effective and apparently higher chance to reinfect. This is barely present in US, hopefully it can be contained and won't dominate.

Chris Stritzel
Colonnade
Colonnade
Posts: 742
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:27 pm

Re: COVID19

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Thought I'd share this (I shared it on UrbanSTL). Seems like a positive trend here...

As of today, new cases In Missouri are at 5.6 per 100,000.

So top 5 ranking is now...
1. Guam (1 per 100,000)
2. Hawaii (3.4 per 100,000)
3. Missouri
4. Puerto Rico (5.7 per 100,000)
5. Oregon (6.8 per 100,000).

Our neighboring states have these statistics "new daily cases per 100,000" according to CDC.
1. Kansas: 10.8
2. Illinois: 12.4
3. Nebraska: 14.1
4. Iowa: 14.4
5. Oklahoma: 15.8
6. Tennessee: 17.5
7. Kentucky: 20.5
8. Arkansas: 27
https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracke ... nlast7days

State of Missouri reports 997,611 people have received at least one dose of the vaccine. That's 16.3% of the population of the state. The state is also reporting that the 7 day average of vaccines being administered here is 238,533.

User avatar
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall
Posts: 15252
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2003 10:02 pm
Location: Old Northeast -- Indian Mound

Re: COVID19

Post by FangKC »

Biden promised 1.5 million vaccines a day a few weeks ago, then set a new goal for 2 million per day. On Saturday, 2.9 million were vaccinated. So they have really ramped up quickly.

User avatar
DColeKC
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower
Posts: 1086
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:50 am

Re: COVID19

Post by DColeKC »

FangKC wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:37 pm
Biden promised 1.5 million vaccines a day a few weeks ago, then set a new goal for 2 million per day. On Saturday, 2.9 million were vaccinated. So they have really ramped up quickly.
Impressive since there was no vaccine before he took office. ;) I’m joking and I’m glad we are ramping up the vaccinations.

longviewmo
Colonnade
Colonnade
Posts: 954
Joined: Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:58 am
Location: Manhattan, Kansas
Contact:

Re: COVID19

Post by longviewmo »

Might be joking, but I’ve seen quite a bit of mental gymnastics between the equally idiotic sides that don’t like it because a) it was developed under Trump or b) Biden is pushing it.

User avatar
DColeKC
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower
Posts: 1086
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:50 am

Re: COVID19

Post by DColeKC »

longviewmo wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:09 am
Might be joking, but I’ve seen quite a bit of mental gymnastics between the equally idiotic sides that don’t like it because a) it was developed under Trump or b) Biden is pushing it.
Yeah me too. People refusing to meet in the middle and give Trumps administration a bit of the credit for the speed in which it was developed and Biden’s administration for increasing the distribution and shots in arms. Same argument goes for the Obama/Trump economy.

flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower
Posts: 9065
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:54 am

Re: COVID19

Post by flyingember »

DColeKC wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:13 am
longviewmo wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:09 am
Might be joking, but I’ve seen quite a bit of mental gymnastics between the equally idiotic sides that don’t like it because a) it was developed under Trump or b) Biden is pushing it.
Yeah me too. People refusing to meet in the middle and give Trumps administration a bit of the credit for the speed in which it was developed and Biden’s administration for increasing the distribution and shots in arms. Same argument goes for the Obama/Trump economy.
"people"

the word for when you don't bother or can't find any information to validate your point.

Your point could be like 5 people total.

and meeting in the middle in politics is a sign you don't understand the point you're trying to make. meeting in the middle would be not giving credit to the administration but giving it to everyone equally

User avatar
DColeKC
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower
Posts: 1086
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:50 am

Re: COVID19

Post by DColeKC »

flyingember wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:57 am
DColeKC wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:13 am
longviewmo wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:09 am
Might be joking, but I’ve seen quite a bit of mental gymnastics between the equally idiotic sides that don’t like it because a) it was developed under Trump or b) Biden is pushing it.
Yeah me too. People refusing to meet in the middle and give Trumps administration a bit of the credit for the speed in which it was developed and Biden’s administration for increasing the distribution and shots in arms. Same argument goes for the Obama/Trump economy.
"people"

the word for when you don't bother or can't find any information to validate your point.

Your point could be like 5 people total.

and meeting in the middle in politics is a sign you don't understand the point you're trying to make. meeting in the middle would be not giving credit to the administration but giving it to everyone equally
Jesus.... I can find dozens upon dozens of articles and information to support what I said, but I have a job and things more important to do. Go look for yourself. Anyone who has paid attention to politics over the last decade, especially the last 4 years know these partisan arguments are made by those who are so loyal to their side, they can't admit that sometimes....... just sometimes, the other side does some good things.

Economy - Obama did a good job getting us out of a recession and Trump took that progress and kept it growing.

Vaccine - Trumps admin did a good job fast tracking the development of a vaccine and laying the ground work for distribution. Biden's team has done a good job taking that progress and ramping it up.

Those "people" i mentioned are democrats and republicans.

User avatar
im2kull
Hotel President
Hotel President
Posts: 3377
Joined: Tue May 24, 2005 4:33 pm
Location: KCMO

Re: COVID19

Post by im2kull »

bobbyhawks wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:32 am
flyingember wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 7:28 pm
im2kull wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:50 am
Unless there was suddenly some giant mask-free crowds in KC that I didn't see...?
My Facebook feed
This. My social media feed is full of unvaccinated KC folks having casual unmasked gatherings.
Those are two of the most idiotic statements I've heard in awhile.

Get off your social media feed and go view the real world with your own two eyes. YOUR social media feed is NOT representative of the real world.

Boomer. 😂😂

flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower
Posts: 9065
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:54 am

Re: COVID19

Post by flyingember »

the "people" you mentioned might not be real since you apparently are willing to quote dozens of sources without being able to produce one.

when it's obvious you could spend exactly as much time copy-pasting them as writing your response your claim you don't have time doesn't hold up


This one is decently balanced
https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2 ... d-vaccine/
In fact, the lightning-fast development of two leading coronavirus vaccines happened both because of and despite Trump — perhaps the most anti-science president in modern history, who has previously flirted with anti-vaccine views and savaged those who cited scientific evidence to press for basic public health measures in response to the pandemic.
Last edited by flyingember on Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower
Posts: 9065
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:54 am

Re: COVID19

Post by flyingember »

im2kull wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:20 pm
bobbyhawks wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:32 am
flyingember wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 7:28 pm


My Facebook feed
This. My social media feed is full of unvaccinated KC folks having casual unmasked gatherings.
Those are two of the most idiotic statements I've heard in awhile.

Get off your social media feed and go view the real world with your own two eyes. YOUR social media feed is NOT representative of the real world.

Boomer. 😂😂
So I should be irresponsible and attempt to find other people being irresponsible, to get in close proximity to them.

Got it.

User avatar
DColeKC
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower
Posts: 1086
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:50 am

Re: COVID19

Post by DColeKC »

flyingember wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:25 pm
the "people" you mentioned might not be real since you apparently are willing to quote dozens of sources without being able to produce one.

when it's obvious you could spend exactly as much time copy-pasting them as writing your response your claim you don't have time doesn't hold up


This one is decently balanced
https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2 ... d-vaccine/
In fact, the lightning-fast development of two leading coronavirus vaccines happened both because of and despite Trump — perhaps the most anti-science president in modern history, who has previously flirted with anti-vaccine views and savaged those who cited scientific evidence to press for basic public health measures in response to the pandemic.
Not sure what's got into your panties, but I didn't quote any article and almost any person with a pulse, vision, the ability to read and comprehend has surely read or viewed the back and forth about administrations and presidents credit for this and that. There are dozens of articles on the topic of Trump deserving or not deserving credit for Operation Warp Speed. Just like there were hundreds of articles about Obama getting the economy going the right way and Trump continuing it's success.

For F-sakes, Biden himself said Trumps administration deserves some respect for the vaccine development and rollout! So didn't a few other well known democrats. I'm not talking about Trumps overall handling of the pandemic, that wasn't pretty. We are talking about the development and rollout of the vaccines.


But since apparently you're my college professor and I must verify my sources, here's a few.

https://gazette.com/opinion/perspective ... 1565d.html

https://www.forbes.com/sites/rachelsand ... f576bb43f6

https://www.yahoo.com/now/how-much-cred ... 32392.html

https://www.axios.com/francis-collins-o ... e71e7.html

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2021/01 ... and-future

https://www.bostonherald.com/2020/11/17 ... ony-fauci/

flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower
Posts: 9065
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:54 am

Re: COVID19

Post by flyingember »

DColeKC wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:04 pm

Not sure what's got into your panties, but I didn't quote any article and almost any person with a pulse, vision, the ability to read and comprehend has surely read or viewed the back and forth about administrations and presidents credit for this and that.
This is a great example of how the lazy and wrong make arguments. It's as bad as non-responses.




And you found six articles. Where's the surveys showing this is representative of ten millions of *people* (your term) as a whole and not just 6 people out of 300 million?

Posting an *opinion piece* as your first source when trying to backup your point is especially glaring on this. They're literally telling you it represents one person's opinion.

User avatar
DColeKC
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower
Posts: 1086
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:50 am

Re: COVID19

Post by DColeKC »

flyingember wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:16 pm
DColeKC wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:04 pm

Not sure what's got into your panties, but I didn't quote any article and almost any person with a pulse, vision, the ability to read and comprehend has surely read or viewed the back and forth about administrations and presidents credit for this and that.
This is a great example of how the lazy and wrong make arguments. It's as bad as non-responses.




And you found six articles. Where's the surveys showing this is representative of ten millions of *people* (your term) as a whole and not just 6 people out of 300 million?

Posting an *opinion piece* as your first source when trying to backup your point is especially glaring on this. They're literally telling you it represents one person's opinion.
You’re responses are a perfect example of how the intolerant and political loyalist react. Instead of entering in polite debate, you attack with insults and say, “where’s the proof”?! And when posted, you look at 1 out of 6 and try to justify why it’s wrong. So Biden is willing to give credit to Trump but you won’t? I’m not sure what it is you take issue with here because instead of debating the topic, you keep it about me.

The fact of the matter is I said, “people not willing” and that could be dozens of people I’ve seen on social media, hundreds I’ve seen on TV, hundreds I’ve read about or whatever. I didn’t say ALL people and it’s very weird you’ve locked this response to eat into.

So seriously, what’s your issue?

User avatar
DColeKC
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower
Posts: 1086
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:50 am

Re: COVID19

Post by DColeKC »

Are you actually saying you have never read the back and forth about who deserves credit for the economy pre-Covid?

flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower
Posts: 9065
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:54 am

Re: COVID19

Post by flyingember »

DColeKC wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:29 pm
flyingember wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:16 pm
DColeKC wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:04 pm

Not sure what's got into your panties, but I didn't quote any article and almost any person with a pulse, vision, the ability to read and comprehend has surely read or viewed the back and forth about administrations and presidents credit for this and that.
This is a great example of how the lazy and wrong make arguments. It's as bad as non-responses.




And you found six articles. Where's the surveys showing this is representative of ten millions of *people* (your term) as a whole and not just 6 people out of 300 million?

Posting an *opinion piece* as your first source when trying to backup your point is especially glaring on this. They're literally telling you it represents one person's opinion.
You’re responses are a perfect example of how the intolerant and political loyalist react. Instead of entering in polite debate, you attack with insults and say, “where’s the proof”?! And when posted, you look at 1 out of 6 and try to justify why it’s wrong. So Biden is willing to give credit to Trump but you won’t? I’m not sure what it is you take issue with here because instead of debating the topic, you keep it about me.

The fact of the matter is I said, “people not willing” and that could be dozens of people I’ve seen on social media, hundreds I’ve seen on TV, hundreds I’ve read about or whatever. I didn’t say ALL people and it’s very weird you’ve locked this response to eat into.

So seriously, what’s your issue?
When you’re called out that you’re using non-evidence to try and make a point you dig in with personal attacks.

And this idea that it’s an attack to need proof is a sign you don’t care about being right, you just want what you’ve seen to be right no matter how much it isn’t.

If we assume it’s 1000 people you’re seen you’re at 1 in 330,000 people and you’re still not understanding that you’re using selection bias to assume what you see represents the average person.

Remember, social media is largely tuned to show you content based on what you’ve interacted in the past. It’s very likely you’re proving your personal biases with that statement.

Post Reply