COVID19

Come here to talk about topics that are not related to development, or even Kansas City.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Re: COVID19

Post by mean »

OK, but when tornado sirens go off, do they run outside in the middle of the storm and say, "SCREW YOU GOVERNMENT, I WON'T LIVE IN FEAR!"? I doubt it. There is a certain level of mistrust of government that is rational, and then there's being an idiot. Which I wish there was a better word for because I know for a fact that some of the people I'm calling an idiot there AREN'T idiots, but they sure are acting like idiots and running towards the tornado instead of taking shelter.

DColeKC
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by DColeKC »

mean wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:25 pm
OK, but when tornado sirens go off, do they run outside in the middle of the storm and say, "SCREW YOU GOVERNMENT, I WON'T LIVE IN FEAR!"? I doubt it. There is a certain level of mistrust of government that is rational, and then there's being an idiot. Which I wish there was a better word for because I know for a fact that some of the people I'm calling an idiot there AREN'T idiots, but they sure are acting like idiots and running towards the tornado instead of taking shelter.
I think most of the anti-covid crowd know a Tornado is an act of nature but think governments are capable of creating lies or creating viruses. I do know if the government put out mandatory lockdowns for 12 hours due to a high likelihood of a tornado, the same people would fight it. Just like some of the "Going to ride it out" types in hurricane areas.

These people have seen the damage a storm can do, but can't seem to process data on the CDC website. It's just not as tangible to them.

earthling
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by earthling »

Google Maps has a COVID layer that shows 7-day moving average of new COVID cases per 100K population. Is interesting that even though MO has supposedly been behind US with vaccinations, MO as a state is well below US avg for new cases, one of lowest for recent new cases per 100K pops.

As of Feb 14, new cases in last 7 days per 100K pops...
US Avg: 29.7
MO: 15.5
KS: 26.7
KCMO: 10.4
Jackson Cty: 11.9
JoCo: 27.4
STL City: 15
STL County: 21.7

High states...
FL: 36.1
TX: 42.1
SC: 68

Fortunately nearly all states are now decreasing cases and deaths as well but curious if that may mean that lockdowns and/or high mask compliance are more effective than vaccines for preventing COVID spread. There still isn't enough information that solidly indicates COVID vax prevents spreading. The vaxs are apparently more effective with preventing symptoms and hospitalizations/deaths, but apparently those with vax can still spread even 2 weeks after second shot.

earthling
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by earthling »

...and South Carolina will be a state to watch as it's one of first states to have both UK and South African variants. Cases were going down like rest of US but now showing signs of an uptick. Hopefully it's not a trend, of course for rest of US and planet too...

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavir ... -carolina/

im2kull
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by im2kull »

earthling wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 1:41 pm
Google Maps has a COVID layer that shows 7-day moving average of new COVID cases per 100K population. Is interesting that even though MO has supposedly been behind US with vaccinations, MO as a state is well below US avg for new cases, one of lowest for recent new cases per 100K pops.

As of Feb 14, new cases in last 7 days per 100K pops...
US Avg: 29.7
MO: 15.5
KS: 26.7
KCMO: 10.4
Jackson Cty: 11.9
JoCo: 27.4
STL City: 15
STL County: 21.7

High states...
FL: 36.1
TX: 42.1
SC: 68

Fortunately nearly all states are now decreasing cases and deaths as well but curious if that may mean that lockdowns and/or high mask compliance are more effective than vaccines for preventing COVID spread. There still isn't enough information that solidly indicates COVID vax prevents spreading. The vaxs are apparently more effective with preventing symptoms and hospitalizations/deaths, but apparently those with vax can still spread even 2 weeks after second shot.
In other words this is seasonal, just like the flu and most other viruses. This should be a surprise to nobody. We should be trending down solid now until April. Then pick back up again next October. Welcome to virology 101.

I feel like John Madden now, having to point out all the obvious things. 🙄

earthling
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by earthling »

Not obvious that seasonal is a factor entirely as US flu season tends to peak in Feb, not drop. Global (varied seasons) infection rates are going down including southern hemisphere. Partial immunity buildup is one possible explanation for global decline. But doesn't entirely explain why KCMO and STL infection rates are notably lower than other metro counties and MO lower than most other states. NY State, NJ and Mass are above US avg, like much of South.

Is curious given MO is behind rest of US in vaccine rollout, and KC/STL are lagging behind rest of MO.

And then there's South Carolina, which is one of first states with both UK and S African variants now showing signs of an uptick in infection rate. Need a couple more weeks of data to see if really a trend (click 7 day moving average).