COVID19

Come here to talk about topics that are not related to development, or even Kansas City.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Re: COVID19

Post by shinatoo »

Every 24 hour news outlet spends millions of dollars on market research to find the words, phrases, stories and images that will induce the most disgust and outrage in their viewers/listeners. It gives the viewer a hit that makes them come back for more. If the tide changes and their audience moves left or right they will move with them. On talk radio they just change their name and reformat their show. The best can do it without changing their name (Joe Scarborough for example).

These people are nothing but professional political dividers for profit, and they are adding to the ruin of our nation. Please stop watching them and feeding their pocketbooks.

They want you to hate the other side, it makes you come back for more things to be outraged over and builds their market share and advertising revenue. The problem is once you hate the other side you lose the ability to empathize with them, and then you lose the ability to work together and nothing productive gets done.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^The major 'news' are also clearly designed to shape public opinion in addition to sensationalism and polarization. Those who don't realize that are the ones being played.

Tend to seek analytical print from both sides like from The Atlantic to National Review, but even they are less analytical and more polarizing now and get caught up in partisan politics or contribute to politicizing things like science and religion. Of TV news, the only one I can tolerate is CBSN, but prefer to read news over watching news with a dose of understanding that journalistic integrity rarely exists anymore.
beermestrength
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by beermestrength »

horizons82 wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:37 am
beermestrength wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:09 am I would like to see the actual numbers. MSNBC presents data for a left political spin. Fox News does the same thing just the other way.
This is the bad take and softens how destructive Fox News is. You can dislike MSNBC, but don’t pretend they and Fox News are different sides of the same coin. The morning show host of MSNBC is a former republican congressman. Nicole Wallace, a Bush Comms Director, also has her own MSNBC show. Andrea Mitchell, another host, is married to Alan Greenspan!
Lol...sheep are such a predictable animal.
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

beermestrength wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:49 am
beermestrength wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:09 am I would like to see the actual numbers. MSNBC presents data for a left political spin. Fox News does the same thing just the other way.
This is the bad take and softens how destructive Fox News is. You can dislike MSNBC, but don’t pretend they and Fox News are different sides of the same coin. The morning show host of MSNBC is a former republican congressman. Nicole Wallace, a Bush Comms Director, also has her own MSNBC show. Andrea Mitchell, another host, is married to Alan Greenspan!
Lol...sheep are such a predictable animal.
That’s not an argument. It’s a juvenile insult, meant to belittle. You call someone a sheep yet do not back up any of your points or address any arguments against your own opinion.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

shinatoo wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:35 am Every 24 hour news outlet spends millions of dollars on market research to find the words, phrases, stories and images that will induce the most disgust and outrage in their viewers/listeners. It gives the viewer a hit that makes them come back for more. If the tide changes and their audience moves left or right they will move with them. On talk radio they just change their name and reformat their show. The best can do it without changing their name (Joe Scarborough for example).

These people are nothing but professional political dividers for profit, and they are adding to the ruin of our nation. Please stop watching them and feeding their pocketbooks.

They want you to hate the other side, it makes you come back for more things to be outraged over and builds their market share and advertising revenue. The problem is once you hate the other side you lose the ability to empathize with them, and then you lose the ability to work together and nothing productive gets done.
I guess I may buy this from a corporate/parent company/marketing aspect, but I don't think it follows that individual programs are that way.

Rachel Maddow and Brett Baier are primarily fact based and seem to have the goal of educating and informing the public.

I don't get the impression that they are trying to make me hate the other side. Incompetence, hypocrisy and corruption? Sure.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

grovester wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:19 am
shinatoo wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:35 am Every 24 hour news outlet spends millions of dollars on market research to find the words, phrases, stories and images that will induce the most disgust and outrage in their viewers/listeners. It gives the viewer a hit that makes them come back for more. If the tide changes and their audience moves left or right they will move with them. On talk radio they just change their name and reformat their show. The best can do it without changing their name (Joe Scarborough for example).

I guess I may buy this from a corporate/parent company/marketing aspect, but I don't think it follows that individual programs are that way.

Rachel Maddow and Brett Baier are primarily fact based and seem to have the goal of educating and informing the public.

I don't get the impression that they are trying to make me hate the other side. Incompetence, hypocrisy and corruption? Sure.
But they still work for the corporation and are certainly steered by them. At minimum they are also complicate by association if they aren’t calling out this behavior on their network.
horizons82
New York Life
New York Life

Post by horizons82 »

beermestrength wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:49 am Lol...sheep are such a predictable animal.
You kicked this thing off with a lazy "both sides...tsk tsk" to a completely valid stat that Fang posted, but I'm the sheep? Okay, then.

I try to keep my cable news to a minimum. I don't really care for it. As others have said they all engage in sensationalism and tend to be shallow in their investigation.

Fox is in a different league with the crap it allows to air. Just yesterday their highest-rated show, Tucker Carlson, had to "go on vacation" after his head writer was caught promoting all sorts of racist, sexist, and homophobic stuff. That's their third or fourth staffer to have been fired for such.
TrolliKC
Supporter

Post by TrolliKC »

This is the bad take and softens how destructive Fox News is :!:

Sorry... you forgot your exclamation mark (corrected).
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

horizons82 wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:55 am
beermestrength wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:49 am Lol...sheep are such a predictable animal.
You kicked this thing off with a lazy "both sides...tsk tsk" to a completely valid stat that Fang posted, but I'm the sheep? Okay, then.

I try to keep my cable news to a minimum. I don't really care for it. As others have said they all engage in sensationalism and tend to be shallow in their investigation.

Fox is in a different league with the crap it allows to air. Just yesterday their highest-rated show, Tucker Carlson, had to "go on vacation" after his head writer was caught promoting all sorts of racist, sexist, and homophobic stuff. That's their third or fourth staffer to have been fired for such.
I seem to remember a day when Fox actually did broadcast some news. Now, it is essentially akin to the Soviet Era Pravda as a mouthpiece for the Trump administration. One would be much better informed if they watched absolutely no news at all rather than watching Fox. Watching Tucker Carlson should be an insult to anyone's intelligence. It's like giving someone an hour a day to argue that the world is flat. He may not be stupid but he absolutely assumes his audience either is - or more likely - just willfully ignorant to the point of accepting his convoluted message.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

According to ABC News:

Cases increasing in 41 states. The death rate is increasing in 25 individual states.

Miami-Dade County may be a week away from issuing a stay-at-home order. A field hospital has been set up in the Miami Convention Center.

56 ICUs in Florida are maxed out.

11,000 new cases in California.

Oklahoma's governor tests positive.

Army setting up new COVID ward in Houston to prepare for overflow.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

November can't get here soon enough. What a disaster.
beermestrength
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by beermestrength »

I'm relatively new posting to this board so I now see most of the posters here are entrenched in their left wing bubble.
Duly noted and good luck with all that.
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

beermestrength wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:20 am I'm relatively new posting to this board so I now see most of the posters here are entrenched in their left wing bubble.
Why don’t you pull some data points to show us what you mean if you are so smart and we are in a bubble. If you don’t want to be challenged in your beliefs then don’t come to a political discussion.

Consider it like you would reporting on a development. You need sources and proof, if you don’t have that then it is just wishful thinking.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

beermestrength wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:20 am I'm relatively new posting to this board so I now see most of the posters here are entrenched in their left wing bubble.
Lazy statements don't encourage positive discussions.

Body bags must be left wing now
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

One's no worse than the other. Every cable news network has it's "opinion" shows which are far more extreme than the regular shows. MSNBC is equally as bad as Fox News in that respect. It's all bad news honestly. One thing I have noticed on those days I feel like abusing myself and try to watch a bit of both channels is that Fox News is much better about always having at least one democrat or liberal commentator on all shows. Often on MSNBC there's no panel member that represents the right.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

You're not wrong!

It doesn't bother me though despite being berated for opening calling myself a centrist.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

If this forum is “left wing” then I’m a dog
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:23 am If this forum is “left wing” then I’m a dog
I've certainly got that impression but maybe it's just a few strong personalities that have lead to that assumption.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

I think it's a matter of perspective. When you are far right or left than everything in the middle seams left or right wing to you.

But to think a urban development forum is going to centrist, or even right wing, is just pure ignorance.

Just like if i went to a hunting a fishing forum and expected the political stances to be centrist. It's rural, rural people are conservative.
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

It’s true that urban development forums lean liberal, however there is a legitimate conservative viewpoint in urban development especially in the way of strong towns that I think many on the forum agree with.

Arguing without viewpoints without backing your own up won’t get you anywhere, and frankly I don’t know why anyone is rushing to defend the president on his coronavirus response.