COVID19

Come here to talk about topics that are not related to development, or even Kansas City.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Re: COVID19

Post by WoodDraw »

Man I know there's not much the city could do, but downtown was a disaster today as far as distancing and masks go. Must have been some tournament.

Had to opt out of the streetcar and most places and it was such a nice day. So many teenagers and out of town parents. Lot of very packed place,
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

WoodDraw wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:30 pm Man I know there's not much the city could do, but downtown was a disaster today as far as distancing and masks go. Must have been some tournament.

Had to opt out of the streetcar and most places and it was such a nice day. So many teenagers and out of town parents. Lot of very packed place,
Volleyball tournament in town with several thousand hotel rooms booked. Great for the economy and everyone can manage their own risk level. It's about time we get back to some kind responsible normality downtown. It's only going to get busier as we go this year. Full capacity concerts and events will be back by late summer.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

SKC will have full capacity games starting May 29
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

kboish wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 3:54 pm SKC will have full capacity games starting May 29
I imagine the Royals aren't far behind, not that they can sell anymore than their current capacity.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Looks like everything will be opening up soon. President Biden, and CDC, said today that fully-vaccinated people can stop wearing masks indoors and outdoors in most settings.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Will be interesting to see how this plays out as now it comes down to proving you are fully vaccinated or implying/claiming to be. Might cause more problems than intended. Doesn't seem well thought out but ultimately the risk is probably lower for all to be maskless at this point as long as those at high risk get vaccine and/or accept either risk.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

No one will be asking for proof of vaccination.

The only people at risk are the unvaccinated.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

grovester wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 7:31 pm No one will be asking for proof of vaccination.
No one at all? You're certain of this? We'll see how this play out over next few weeks. There are plenty OCD people out there who will probably make an issue out of it. Possibly not, but guidelines are not particularly well thought out with that in mind.
The only people at risk are the unvaccinated.
I'm vaccinated but still consider myself at risk. A risk I'm willing to accept.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

It's such a win/win.

The vaxxed know they can't get it.

The unvaxxed don't believe in it anyway.

I guess the folks who yell at unmasked joggers might still be a problem.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

The vaccinated can still get the virus, and transmit it to others; however, they are at low risk of getting symptoms or seriously-ill. The risk is that they might transmit it to unvaccinated, and health-vulnerable, people.

TV host, Bill Maher, tested positive for COVID today during routine testing, and he is fully-vaccinated. He's asymptomatic and feeling fine though. Because he can still transmit, they are cancelling the taping of his live show Friday evening.

Kansas City, Missouri, will end its' mask order Friday at noon.

https://www.kshb.com/news/coronavirus/k ... mask-order
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

FangKC wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 9:09 pm The vaccinated can still get the virus, and transmit it to others; however, they are at low risk of getting symptoms or seriously-ill. The risk is that they might transmit it to unvaccinated, and health-vulnerable, people.

TV host, Bill Maher, tested positive for COVID today during routine testing, and he is fully-vaccinated. He's asymptomatic and feeling fine though. Because he can still transmit, they are cancelling the taping of his live show Friday evening.

I'm very surprised they're dropping the mask mandate this fast. I was betting on June 1st but with the CDC's move, I understand. I think it's about time honestly but hope we don't see any signifiant spike. Even though I'm vaccinated, it still feels a bit risky in some situations rolling in without a mask.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

It's all "you're on your own" now.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

FangKC wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 9:09 pm The vaccinated can still get the virus, and transmit it to others; however, they are at low risk of getting symptoms or seriously-ill. The risk is that they might transmit it to unvaccinated, and health-vulnerable, people.

You are correct, but they are also at very low risk for getting it or transmitting it, even lower as the vaccination totals increase.

Currently .06%. Chicago had 500 cases out of 700,000 vaccinated.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

The poor, poor streetcar and bus drivers. I don't know what to say, good or bad.

I personally would have gone slower and a more thoughtful way. Perhaps cities that reach 70% to give an incentive.

I expect most larger places will still ask their employees to mask. It seemed to be working pretty well, downtown at least. People didn't wear them outside, but pulled one out of their pocket to go inside. Seems strange.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

DaveKCMO wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 9:35 pm It's all "you're on your own" now.
Puts local businesses, mainly those in the hospitality and resturant realm in a weird spot. Do you go with "strongly" recommend for guest and require your employees to mask up? How do you handle pushback from employees who are vaxxed and don't want to wear a mask.

Weird times. Weird problems.
FlippantCitizen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by FlippantCitizen »

Though caution is certainly warranted with unkowns like this, from my reading it's still pretty unclear what the potential is for a vaccinated person to transmit even if infected. Even though a vaccinated person may test positive for some level of virus in their system the vaccine still has triggered some level of antibody response keeping the vaccinated from falling sick even if infected generally speaking. Most of the public health messaging has been relatively conservative about what the affects of the vaccine are on transmission but If I had to bet these folks who become infected after vaccination are carrying a lot smaller viral load and shedding way less of the virus and are likely to be many orders of magnitude less contagious than an unvaxed person who is carrying the virus.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

It feels like a calculated risk to push vaccination since if you aren't vaccinated and you don't like masks and you get sick you have yourself to blame.

It switches from people who are responsible protecting others to those who aren't responsible today needing to protect themselves.

The news coming out around ED seems like they're a "are you stupid, get vaccinated" type of news pieces
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

I was out last night and obviously no masks in sight. I didn’t mind it for the most part but still felt really uncomfortable when someone got close to me to talk. Even though I’m vaccinated. Made me think of the physiological impact wearing masks has had on all of us.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

DColeKC wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 11:47 am I was out last night and obviously no masks in sight. I didn’t mind it for the most part but still felt really uncomfortable when someone got close to me to talk. Even though I’m vaccinated. Made me think of the physiological impact wearing masks has had on all of us.
Yeah, the impact is real. Our condo building also dropped masks for common areas, which just seems... weird.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

DColeKC wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 11:47 am I was out last night and obviously no masks in sight. I didn’t mind it for the most part but still felt really uncomfortable when someone got close to me to talk. Even though I’m vaccinated. Made me think of the physiological impact wearing masks has had on all of us.
Here in St. Louis was the opening of Salt and Smoke at Ballpark Village. The first truly crowded event I've been to with a majority of people not wearing masks. Everyone seemed to be comfortable but a few wore them until they were told that they didn't. It was pretty crowded on the second floor where everyone wanted to be. First floor was more of a laid back and quiet atmosphere for those who wanted to space out. I'm 20, going on 21, and felt comfortable with the crowd and being able to talk to people close range. I get that people get that extra bit of safety with masks, and for some it changed their mindset about interacting without masks, but for me, it's a good thing. I had a hell of a time over the past year trying to understand people who talked behind their masks. If people are more than 10ft away from me, or 3ft with a plexiglass shield, I have a hard time understanding them. Multiple times over the past year, I had to ask people to pull their mask down so I can understand what they were saying. Seeing mouth movements help me determine what someone is saying.

Pictures and a video of the Salt and Smoke opening are below. It's like everything is normal again and no one was really bothered by it (from what I could tell at least). I imagine things are similar in Kansas City with it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLPJjQqjtoU