COVID19

Come here to talk about topics that are not related to development, or even Kansas City.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Re: COVID19

Post by DColeKC »

FangKC wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:50 pm According to ABC News:

Thirty-eight states see a rise in cases

Forty percent of the country is implementing new restrictions, or slowing down reopening.

Twenty-four states have increases in hospitalizations.

New York City Phase 3 reopening has been put on hold by Gov. Cuomo.

California is shutting down indoor bars/restaurants/theaters in 19 counties. The governor will prioritize aggressive enforcement; going after businesses flaunting restrictions. Hospitalizations spike 50 percent in California in two weeks.

More than 8,000 new cases in Texas.

Today in an interview, President Trump said he believes the virus will one day "disappear."

WHO reports more than a dozen vaccines around the world are now in human trials.
AND, the whole new virus they're talking about in China! 2020 has got to be one of the worst years ever. I'm usually all about people's freedom but at this point, I wouldn't be upset to see a mask patrol and fines for not wearing them.
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

Executive Order in Place Kansas.
mykn

Post by mykn »

DColeKC wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:47 am
mykn wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:07 pm
DColeKC wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:01 pm Some people, like MYKN are so loyal to one side that a rational argument can't be made.
Please, do tell me where my political loyalties lie. This will be good.
Well you've trashed the entire republican party and called my "centrist" view "garbage", so that narrows things down somewhat. I won't tell you anything about yourself, just making judgements based off of your replies in this thread.
Oh no, thats a cop out, please do tell me, you seem to know my views so well
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

mykn wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:19 pm
DColeKC wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:47 am
mykn wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:07 pm

Please, do tell me where my political loyalties lie. This will be good.
Well you've trashed the entire republican party and called my "centrist" view "garbage", so that narrows things down somewhat. I won't tell you anything about yourself, just making judgements based off of your replies in this thread.
Oh no, thats a cop out, please do tell me, you seem to know my views so well
You sound defensive. I don't care about your views. Didn't you say I was defending Trump? You're ok assuming my politics and my views, but no one dare do the same to you?! If you're so eager to share your political affiliations, by all means lets have it. I just don't care.
mykn

Post by mykn »

How do I sound defensive, I'm calling you out for your Bothsidesing. You're deflecting blame away from Trump and the GOPs terrible response to a pandemic by pointing out that the Democrats had the gaul to impeach him for trying to bribe foreign governments, so yea, you kind of sound like you're (wittingly or unwittingly) carrying water for Trump here. I'm not assuming your politics at all, you've been very clear. You were very sure I'm loyal to one side, so which side is it? Come on now
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

mykn wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:21 pm How do I sound defensive, I'm calling you out for your Bothsidesing. You're deflecting blame away from Trump and the GOPs terrible response to a pandemic by pointing out that the Democrats had the gaul to impeach him for trying to bribe foreign governments, so yea, you kind of sound like you're (wittingly or unwittingly) carrying water for Trump here. I'm not assuming your politics at all, you've been very clear. You were very sure I'm loyal to one side, so which side is it? Come on now
So let me get this straight, because I don't put 100% of the blame on Trump and the GOP I'm defending Trump? Have you read what I've said or just hyper focused on a few parts because I think I've been clear about my thoughts on Trump and the GOP. I never said the democrats had no reason to impeach him either. Not that my thoughts impact your life, but maybe they do? Perhaps instead of saying you were loyal to one side, I should have said you seem to be incapable of objective thinking? You seem so excited to prove me wrong because I'm sure you're political prowess is far superior to that of the average peasant.

You're like the person who say's I've got a secret, but wants someone to guess. I don't care! If you want to shock me that you're a member of the Lincoln Project or something, hit me with it so I can give zero F's!
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

New strain crossing from Europe to US is much more infectious but not any more potent...
https://www.thehealthsite.com/news/covi ... er-755545/
New Strain Is Highly Infectious, Says Experts
According to scientists, this new strain of COVID-19 is three to nine times more infectious. It multiplies faster in the upper respiratory tract, the nose, sinuses and throat. They conducted tests on 1,000 hospitalized coronavirus patients in Britain and were surprised to find that those infected with the new version did not fare any worse than those who caught the original strain.

https://krdo.com/news/health-news-2/202 ... le-sicker/
The mutation affects the spike protein — the structure the virus uses to get into the cells it infects. Now the researchers are checking to see whether this affects whether the virus can be controlled by a vaccine. Current vaccines being tested mostly target the spike protein, but they were made using older strains of the virus.

The study, published in the journal Cell, confirms earlier work suggesting the mutation had made the new variant of virus more common. The researchers call the new mutation G614, and they show that it has almost completely replaced the first version to spread in Europe and the US, one called D614.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Goldman Sachs has done the math and a national mask mandate to halt the spread of coronavirus would have a big impact on the U.S. economy

Mask wearing could save the domestic economy from a 5% hit to GDP, Goldman says
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/weari ... oo&ref=yfp
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

According to ABC News:

There are rising infections in 38 states.

Hospitalizations on the rise in 26 states.

Eighteen states are rolling back reopening.

Four states account for 52 percent of new cases.

In the last 24 hours, 57,562 Americans have tested positive.

In Florida, nearly 15 percent of those tested, test positive. Employees at 30 Publix supermarkets have tested positive.

In Houston, 25 percent tested, test positive.

In Phoenix, 97 percent of ICU beds are filled.

For the 4th of July weekend, beaches are closed in California, Texas, and Florida.

In Washington State, more than 100 fraternity brothers have tested positive for COVID.

At Lake of the Ozarks, repeats of risky bar crowding are occurring again.

President Trump will join a holiday celebration in South Dakota. The governor there says there will be no social distancing or masks required at the public event.

Air travel is down 78 percent from a year ago.

This weekend, hotels are booked at 43.9 percent occupancy nationally.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

FangKC wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:47 pm According to ABC News:

In Florida, nearly 15 percent of those tested, test positive. Employees at 30 Publix supermarkets have tested positive.

For the 4th of July weekend, beaches are closed in California, Texas, and Florida.

In Washington State, more than 100 fraternity brothers have tested positive for COVID.

President Trump will join a holiday celebration in South Dakota. The governor there says there will be no social distancing or masks required at the public event.

Talked to a friend over the weekend who’s a ICU/ER doc in Phoenix. We are going to start seeing better info graphics from hospitals explaining true capacity because in reality, most are not actually near capacity. He said while they’re seeing more cases, the hospital network he’s a part of isn’t even close to being overwhelmed or at capacity.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

DColeKC wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:02 am

Talked to a friend over the weekend who’s a ICU/ER doc in Phoenix. We are going to start seeing better info graphics from hospitals explaining true capacity because in reality, most are not actually near capacity. He said while they’re seeing more cases, the hospital network he’s a part of isn’t even close to being overwhelmed or at capacity.
What a lovely anecdote. Thanks.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

grovester wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:01 pm
DColeKC wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:02 am

What a lovely anecdote. Thanks.
Still up to your old prickish ways. Let me explain. Most hospitals have 3 or 4 phases of ICU readiness in regards to Covid-19. For example, Houston's hospitals are around 98% total ICU capacity with 44% of those beds being used by Covid-19 phase 1 patients. They're not worried about this because they have plenty of capacity to move covid patients to medical/surgical beds if needed. They're currently at 0% phase 2 occupancy. Most phase 1 patients won't need phase 2. The reason the numbers will start to change along with more information is because hospitals are changing the way they report this information. The media is going to run with the scariest number because "Houston area hospitals continue to have plenty of capacity despite surge in covid cases." won't get many clicks. Perhaps this information means nothing to you but having a MD who's in the heart of one of the biggest current surges was informative to me. Take it for what's worth or respond with stupidity, whatever works.

Of course none of this information is meant to imply I don't think Covid-19 is very serious. Just thought I'd share some relevant information.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Sorry, but when the numbers are bad and someone comes up with a new way of counting, I'm very suspicious.

Also, individual hospitals in AZ aren't required to disclose their capacities, another red flag.

https://www.azmirror.com/2020/06/26/cap ... om-public/
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

I've been told that Houston isn't too worried about hospital space for Covid (yet), but they are concerned about a shortage of nurses to handle the influx. Many nurses and logistics staff are being directed there now in anticipation of the influx. Source: logistic staff person from KC who spent the past 3-months in NYC being repositioned from NYC to Houston.
Last edited by kboish on Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

Same person did say there was hospital capacity concerns in Austin and other "small border towns".
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

If hospitalization rates are rising along with the infection rate you're going to be screwed at some point.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

According to ABC News:

Hospitalizations are up in more than half the country (28 states).

US is now approaching 3 million infections.

There are at least 131,248 confirmed deaths in the USA.

A model shows 200,000 estimated dead by November 1. Of those, 45,000 of those could be saved if everyone wears masks.

In Texas, San Antonio is days away from overcapacity in hospitals.

Florida is running short of ICU beds in some hospitals.

Texas more than 10,000 new cases in 24 hours.

Virus particles can linger in the air for much longer than thought inside confined spaces, says WHO. People can be infected even if 15 feet from an infected person--much further than current social distancing guidelines.

Brazil's president tests positive for COVID. Brazil is only second to the USA in COVID infections and deaths.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

According to ABC News:

Hospitalizations break new records in 10 states; and 36 states are seeing worsening infection rates.

In Arizona, 30 percent of people tested are testing positive.

Florida has seen a 1,400 percent increase in cases. Dr. Anthony Fauci says Florida should consider shutting down again.

In Miami-Dade County, 26.2 percent tested test positive.

More than 133,000 Americans confirmed dead.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

According to ABC News:

More than 66,000 new COVID cases in the last 24 hours in the United States.

Dr. Birx warns Americans to expect more deaths to come. Death rates surging in 17 states.

Florida reports 11,000 new infections in the last 24 hours.

Texas reports its deadliest day -- more than 10,000 new cases in one day.

Growing concerns about children and COVID. In Texas, an alarming surge in cases in child care centers--a 759 percent increase. Rising numbers of children are having a dangerous reaction to virus.

In Harris County, Texas (Houston), testing sites were shut down due to extreme heat.

Las Vegas is closing bars starting tonight.

El Centro CA is the center of the COVID epidemic in California. Refrigerated trucks are now being used there as morgues.

Those being tested in Arizona are waiting up to 10 days to 3 weeks for results.

More than two thirds of Americans (67 percent) disapprove of the way President Trump is handling COVID.

At a Missouri Christian camp, half of campers caught COVID and didn't find out until they returned home.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

I spend some time on forums with right-leaning members. The amount of people who think COVID-19 is part of a conspiracy to control their lives and shift power to the radical left is staggering. I am starting to think of herd immunity in a different way, where a large enough percentage of our population becomes so directly affected that no one will be able to deny the severity of the problem any longer and people will finally start taking necessary precautions to control the spread. I predict my new definition of herd immunity will coincide with the old definition.