COVID19

Come here to talk about topics that are not related to development, or even Kansas City.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Re: COVID19

Post by DColeKC »

flyingember wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:52 pm
DColeKC wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:09 pm
Aware of all of this, I still believe that if this had happened under Obama, even with all those teams and plans in place, we still would be in a similar situation as we currently are with Covid-19. It seems like all those brilliant scientific minds had some great ideas, but making sure we have a national stockpile of PPE and medical equipment wasn't one of them. With hindsight, that seems like such a basic concept and hopefully one we take seriously for the next pandemic.
That's fundamentally impossible to be true.

Let's assume the response plan was the same and the same skilled team was there and let's say the executive branch teams and governors are all equally capable and willing in both cases. Let's assume the same or similar issues with supplies, since that's a fair point.

Trump did order certain flight controls early on and that's about where I imagine history splits at in this what if.

Fundamentally a Democrat like Obama would be more likely to give executive order requiring all governors to make plans to shut down compared to a Republican more focused on it being a state decision with similar fed vs state decisions coming in all the other aspects early on of note. One thing never done is any sort of national decision mobilizing the medical community towards fighting Covid instead of the private decision to shut down, something I picture a Democrat doing more

A huge part of our problem is the response was too different across the country with too many different standards.

We can see this even hyper local where KC does something, the state of KS does the same thing a little later but Clay County (outside KC) does something different.
It's impossible to ever know, just a thought. I agree that a democratic POTUS would be more likely to try and shut down states but from what I understand, that's the governors choice and the ones who opened early are republican lead states which would be the first to not listen to a democratic president.

Completely agree the chaotic response from state to state didn't help. I guess it's easy to sit here right now and say it would have been smart to completely shut down all states for 2-3 months back in March or earlier.

For me, a nobody, I feel like part of the plan to prepare for a future pandemic is not only a massive national stockpile of PPE and other various medical equipment, but also pandemic centers in every major city with enough beds to satisfy that cities potential demand. These places can be built to be sterile and remain dormant until needed. It would make for a great federally funded infrastructure program by creating jobs that also prepare us for the future of pandemics and would likely save us trillions of dollars down the road.
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

DColeKC wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:24 pm
DColeKC wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:09 pm
Aware of all of this, I still believe that if this had happened under Obama, even with all those teams and plans in place, we still would be in a similar situation as we currently are with Covid-19. It seems like all those brilliant scientific minds had some great ideas, but making sure we have a national stockpile of PPE and medical equipment wasn't one of them. With hindsight, that seems like such a basic concept and hopefully one we take seriously for the next pandemic.

Let's assume the response plan was the same and the same skilled team was there and let's say the executive branch teams and governors are all equally capable and willing in both cases. Let's assume the same or similar issues with supplies, since that's a fair point.

Trump did order certain flight controls early on and that's about where I imagine history splits at in this what if.

Fundamentally a Democrat like Obama would be more likely to give executive order requiring all governors to make plans to shut down compared to a Republican more focused on it being a state decision with similar fed vs state decisions coming in all the other aspects early on of note. One thing never done is any sort of national decision mobilizing the medical community towards fighting Covid instead of the private decision to shut down, something I picture a Democrat doing more

A huge part of our problem is the response was too different across the country with too many different standards.

We can see this even hyper local where KC does something, the state of KS does the same thing a little later but Clay County (outside KC) does something different.
It's impossible to ever know, just a thought. I agree that a democratic POTUS would be more likely to try and shut down states but from what I understand, that's the governors choice and the ones who opened early are republican lead states which would be the first to not listen to a democratic president.

Completely agree the chaotic response from state to state didn't help. I guess it's easy to sit here right now and say it would have been smart to completely shut down all states for 2-3 months back in March or earlier.

For me, a nobody, I feel like part of the plan to prepare for a future pandemic is not only a massive national stockpile of PPE and other various medical equipment, but also pandemic centers in every major city with enough beds to satisfy that cities potential demand. These places can be built to be sterile and remain dormant until needed. It would make for a great federally funded infrastructure program by creating jobs that also prepare us for the future of pandemics and would likely save us trillions of dollars down the road.
It’s easy to sit here right now and say that because we can see that is where literally everywhere else did. Minus Brazil and a handful of others who are also having trouble.

Having the federal government take a definitive stance would have definitely helped, and you acknowledge republicans are the primary issue. Yet earlier you said the Democrats and Republicans are equally bad.

My guess is that you vote republican because you like tax cuts, even though you are aware that they have become a miserable excuse for a functioning party.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

I think we need to cut taxes paired with cutting deductions across the board. Scrap all corporate tax deductions and tax havens and give a lower tax rate that all businesses must pay for all revenue earned within the US. Do the same for people where instead of a marginal system we implement a flat rate the same for everyone that applies to both income and investment income. So if you pull $1 million out of your stock portfolio you inherited, the bank takes the taxes out and the rest of the money is yours, no tax refund needed

This seems very Republican where they can implement a massive tax cut and shrink the IRS, reducing federal employment which is a goal of theirs but they need to make their corporate donors pay a lot more in taxes.

That explains the difference in the covid responses. The Republicans will do what their big business donors want. The Democrats will do what a big government party would do. And in this case the big government party would have the right response. We saw this in China where after they stopped the denial they did exactly what was needed for their country.

The major party is the big business party has lied to the electorate for so long that we're in a situation where they can't even do the right thing until doing the wrong thing comes back to hurt them.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Riverite wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:45 pm
DColeKC wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:24 pm

It’s easy to sit here right now and say that because we can see that is where literally everywhere else did. Minus Brazil and a handful of others who are also having trouble.

Having the federal government take a definitive stance would have definitely helped, and you acknowledge republicans are the primary issue. Yet earlier you said the Democrats and Republicans are equally bad.

My guess is that you vote republican because you like tax cuts, even though you are aware that they have become a miserable excuse for a functioning party.
Oh I know it's easier to sit here on a forum and say things based off of historical data we didn't have before this pandemic. For every instance you find to blame one side, theres an instance to blame the other. Let's not forget the epicenter of the virus here in the states, NYC and their democratic Governor who the media loves. He has been praised yet he's no hero and in many ways, just as terrible as Trumps handling early on. He sure sounded good on those daily briefings though, so we'll let that slide! Both sides are 100% to blame for where we are currently, how you want to split that up is up to you. Just like both sides are to blame for where we are in regards to racial tensions, once again, divvy up you're percentage of blame how you see fit. I don't vote republican exclusively, including the last two presidential elections. I also could care less about tax cuts because they never really have a personal impact on me.

I'm currently in the camp that can't stand the democrats slightly more than the republicans. Maybe it's because of the constant Trump chase and I'm not saying there has been no reason for it, but between the media and democrats constant attempts to oust Trump, they've become the party of most dislike at the moment. Maybe that will change with a new POTUS but I have a feeling my objectivity will never let me pick a side.
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

NYC is denser and had the most connections to international markets, if you’d like to give me succinct facts in how you think deblasio has failed I’d love to hear them. I get that you don’t like the Democrats going after trump, but you have never attempted to negate the fact he did break constitutional conventions, and probably the law with disregard. If we live in a democracy no one can be against the law.

I’m sure you had the same utmost disregard for the republicans when they were savagely attacking Clinton and his wife over a blowjob.

If you haven’t noticed nyc has less than a thousand new cases a day.

Had we followed their lead overall and not opened them we would be in a much better position. Or for instance the democrat states mandating face masks. Here is Goldman Sachs saying we could save 5% of our economy if we adopted it. https://www.marketwatch.com/story/weari ... =home-page

The truth of the matter is the republicans have neither the moral nor the economic high ground at this point. They are led by a traitor, and if you believe being mean to a traitor is the same thing as being a traitor, then you sir have the moral backbone of a chocolate eclair
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Riverite wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:28 pm NYC is denser and had the most connections to international markets, if you’d like to give me succinct facts in how you think deblasio has failed I’d love to hear them. I get that you don’t like the Democrats going after trump, but you have never attempted to negate the fact he did break constitutional conventions, and probably the law with disregard. If we live in a democracy no one can be against the law.

I’m sure you had the same utmost disregard for the republicans when they were savagely attacking Clinton and his wife over a blowjob.

If you haven’t noticed nyc has less than a thousand new cases a day.

Had we followed their lead overall and not opened them we would be in a much better position. Or for instance the democrat states mandating face masks. Here is Goldman Sachs saying we could save 5% of our economy if we adopted it. https://www.marketwatch.com/story/weari ... =home-page

The truth of the matter is the republicans have neither the moral nor the economic high ground at this point. They are led by a traitor, and if you believe being mean to a traitor is the same thing as being a traitor, then you sir have the moral backbone of a chocolate eclair
Not really sure where we've gotten off to the point to where you're ok making some very big assumptions about me, but ok! We were discussing republican governors, so I gave an example of a democratic governor who also did a terrible job. This isn't solely my opinion but can be found all over in the media, including those who lean left. I also haven't said I don't like the democrats going after Trump nor have I made any attempt to negate anything he's done which has caused them to do so.

As for caring about the Republicans going after Clinton, I was in high school and far more worried about getting my own blowjobs than the one's he was getting, while the most powerful man in the world, from an impressionable young intern, in the most highly respected office while his wife and daughter were just a few doors down. Now that I'm older and a father myself, I do think it's disturbing you simply dismiss it as simply a "blowjob". Fairly common amongst democrats I've noticed.

No party at this point has the moral or economic high ground. There's a reason the majority of the voting population doesn't have confidence in our government as a whole!
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

You’re right I probably shouldn’t be so blasé about it, its not good to take advantage of your station to sleep with a 22 year old. It’s pretty sleazy actually.

Not negating that trump is a traitor is concerning to me, that you are focusing on the Democrats. That’s what I was trying to show, was it sleazy what Bill did, absolutely. Is it worse than what trump has bragged about which is sexual assault definitely not.

I’m really happy to have specific examples of what you think cuomo did, and we can debate them. You’ve also not brought up what you think the Democrats are doing wrong though. You just said before it was the trump chase that made you dislike the republicans, now you are denying it?

Wanting justice is not a moral fault unless you can bring up specific examples then I don’t see any validity to what you are saying. You seem to think not taking a side is always the smartest which in reality is almost never the case.

If you have specific things you don’t like or examples I would be immensely happy to debate them
horizons82
New York Life
New York Life

Post by horizons82 »

DColeKC wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:18 pmJust like both sides are to blame for where we are in regards to racial tensions, once again, divvy up you're percentage of blame how you see fit.
Would love for you to elaborate on this one...But then again thread has gone off the rails.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Riverite wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:17 pm You’re right I probably shouldn’t be so blasé about it, its not good to take advantage of your station to sleep with a 22 year old. It’s pretty sleazy actually.

Not negating that trump is a traitor is concerning to me, that you are focusing on the Democrats. That’s what I was trying to show, was it sleazy what Bill did, absolutely. Is it worse than what trump has bragged about which is sexual assault definitely not.

I’m really happy to have specific examples of what you think cuomo did, and we can debate them. You’ve also not brought up what you think the Democrats are doing wrong though. You just said before it was the trump chase that made you dislike the republicans, now you are denying it?

Wanting justice is not a moral fault unless you can bring up specific examples then I don’t see any validity to what you are saying. You seem to think not taking a side is always the smartest which in reality is almost never the case.

If you have specific things you don’t like or examples I would be immensely happy to debate them
I'm not saying the democrats weren't justified in their efforts to oust Trump, I'm saying the constant media coverage which helped make them appear to be obsessed with his ouster has soured my current feelings towards that party. I take sides all the time, but with individual issues, not an entire platform. I have no idea if Trump is a traitor, I do know he's morally bankrupt and has been a terrible president for the most part.

My main issue with the Democrats specifically about Covid-19 is the fact that they as a party, were focused on impeachment. I'm not saying for no reason. I do feel if there wasn't a national obsession with the trial at that point, perhaps more focus and effort could have been put towards coronavirus. Perhaps it's a matter of piss poor timing, but history can figure that out.

Cuomo pushed back on De Blasio's idea to shut down NYC by calling it "dangerous" and "served only to scare people". He said the flu was of "graver danger". He also hadn't read the states pandemic plan! These are things comparable to Trump in the beginning. Cuomo is an excellent public speaker and has sex appeal, so democrats love him and he gets a free pass.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

horizons82 wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:27 pm
DColeKC wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:18 pmJust like both sides are to blame for where we are in regards to racial tensions, once again, divvy up you're percentage of blame how you see fit.
Would love for you to elaborate on this one...But then again thread has gone off the rails.
Oh come on, please don't tell me you feel one party is to blame for the racial situation and tensions in this country? I'm talking historically, not just this year.

This thread has veered back and forth, but it's easier to talk politics in here than on social media where the name calling happens instantly. Usually takes longer in here.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

DColeKC wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:38 pm
Riverite wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:17 pm You’re right I probably shouldn’t be so blasé about it, its not good to take advantage of your station to sleep with a 22 year old. It’s pretty sleazy actually.

I'm not saying the democrats weren't justified in their efforts to oust Trump, I'm saying the constant media coverage which helped make them appear to be obsessed with his ouster has soured my current feelings towards that party. I take sides all the time, but with individual issues, not an entire platform. I have no idea if Trump is a traitor, I do know he's morally bankrupt and has been a terrible president for the most part.

My main issue with the Democrats specifically about Covid-19 is the fact that they as a party, were focused on impeachment. I'm not saying for no reason. I do feel if there wasn't a national obsession with the trial at that point, perhaps more focus and effort could have been put towards coronavirus. Perhaps it's a matter of piss poor timing, but history can figure that out.

Cuomo pushed back on De Blasio's idea to shut down NYC by calling it "dangerous" and "served only to scare people". He said the flu was of "graver danger". He also hadn't read the states pandemic plan! These are things comparable to Trump in the beginning. Cuomo is an excellent public speaker and has sex appeal, so democrats love him and he gets a free pass.
Letters of Impeachment were delivered to the Senate in December. Long before a corona virus responce was even a consideration. The House of Reps was done with anything to do with impeachment by that point.

It's the same naritive that Fox news used at the begining of the Obama presidency, that he was giving away a huge amount of cash with TARP. When the reality was that almost all the stimulious packages were passed before he took office. 8 years of the right bitching about the debt and deficit and and you've heard nearly nothing about it since Trump took office. Yet it's been spiriling upward.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

It seems neither party cares about the deficit or national debt when they're in power. Than again, it's hard to place blame as the debt is so reliant on our economic strength. For example, republicans love to talk about how Obama added 8.5 trillion worth of debt, but he was trying to get us out of a recession. Once Trump is gone, people will talk about how he added trillions but some will skip over this pandemic. Also, the argument can be made that with such a strong economy before this, if it weren't for tax cuts we should have been seeing Clinton like debt figures, which would have been impressive.

The house of reps missed a very important briefing about the coronavirus because it was also the last day to submit questions for the impeachment trial. Not to mention the continuous flow of media appearances and almost daily mini-press conferences.
horizons82
New York Life
New York Life

Post by horizons82 »

DColeKC wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:41 pm Oh come on, please don't tell me you feel one party is to blame for the racial situation and tensions in this country? I'm talking historically, not just this year.

This thread has veered back and forth, but it's easier to talk politics in here than on social media where the name calling happens instantly. Usually takes longer in here.
Both parties had, until arguably the last decade, abdicated their responsibility to fully own up for the shit this county put and continues to put minorities through. Be it race, sex, sexual orientation, gender expression, what have you.

That said, the GOP stands alone in utilizing racist dog whistles, the white animus of "the other", and willful ignorance of how systemic racism works. It wasn't the democrats pushing the insanely racist "Birther" conspiracy during the Obama administration. Even now-anointed Saint Mitt Romney was willing to let that play in hopes of a win. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the ... irtherism/ The southern strategy never died, it's just evolved with the times.

Beyond that, in the last ten years there's only been one party:
- Restricting voting access and literal voting locations; they successfully gutted a key part of the Voting Rights Act (Shelby County v Holder)
- Rolling back Civil Rights housing protections https://www.curbed.com/2020/1/28/211011 ... ben-carson
- Cutting EPA rules, which the resulting pollution disproportionately affects minority communities https://www.newsweek.com/trumps-environ ... nds-710635
- Pushing to limit immigration to draconian levels (check out Tom Cotton's immigration bill sometime)

It's a cultural issue, in a 2017 poll, only 21% of self-identified republicans vs 78% of democrats acknowledge that whites benefit from the privilege that Black people do not enjoy. https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2 ... san-lines/

If you can't even get a majority of your party to acknowledge there is a problem, you're not gonna solve the problem.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

According to ABC News:

Thirty-eight states see a rise in cases

Forty percent of the country is implementing new restrictions, or slowing down reopening.

Twenty-four states have increases in hospitalizations.

New York City Phase 3 reopening has been put on hold by Gov. Cuomo.

California is shutting down indoor bars/restaurants/theaters in 19 counties. The governor will prioritize aggressive enforcement; going after businesses flaunting restrictions. Hospitalizations spike 50 percent in California in two weeks.

More than 8,000 new cases in Texas.

Today in an interview, President Trump said he believes the virus will one day "disappear."

WHO reports more than a dozen vaccines around the world are now in human trials.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Visualization shows exactly how face masks stop COVID-19 transmission

https://www.livescience.com/face-mask-v ... id-19.html
mykn

Post by mykn »

DColeKC wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:01 pm Some people, like MYKN are so loyal to one side that a rational argument can't be made.
Please, do tell me where my political loyalties lie. This will be good.
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

mykn wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:07 pm
DColeKC wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:01 pm Some people, like MYKN are so loyal to one side that a rational argument can't be made.
Clearly you are a 1st century imperialist, you supported Julius Caesar destroying the republic. You rapscallion!
mykn

Post by mykn »

Riverite wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:21 pm
Clearly you are a 1st century imperialist, you supported Julius Caesar destroying the republic. You rapscallion!
God damn you’re good at this
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

horizons82 wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:50 pm
DColeKC wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:41 pm Oh come on, please don't tell me you feel one party is to blame for the racial situation and tensions in this country? I'm talking historically, not just this year.

Both parties had, until arguably the last decade, abdicated their responsibility to fully own up for the shit this county put and continues to put minorities through. Be it race, sex, sexual orientation, gender expression, what have you.

That said, the GOP stands alone in utilizing racist dog whistles, the white animus of "the other", and willful ignorance of how systemic racism works. It wasn't the democrats pushing the insanely racist "Birther" conspiracy during the Obama administration. Even now-anointed Saint Mitt Romney was willing to let that play in hopes of a win. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the ... irtherism/ The southern strategy never died, it's just evolved with the times.

Beyond that, in the last ten years there's only been one party:
- Restricting voting access and literal voting locations; they successfully gutted a key part of the Voting Rights Act (Shelby County v Holder)
- Rolling back Civil Rights housing protections https://www.curbed.com/2020/1/28/211011 ... ben-carson
- Cutting EPA rules, which the resulting pollution disproportionately affects minority communities https://www.newsweek.com/trumps-environ ... nds-710635
- Pushing to limit immigration to draconian levels (check out Tom Cotton's immigration bill sometime)

It's a cultural issue, in a 2017 poll, only 21% of self-identified republicans vs 78% of democrats acknowledge that whites benefit from the privilege that Black people do not enjoy. https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2 ... san-lines/

If you can't even get a majority of your party to acknowledge there is a problem, you're not gonna solve the problem.
Agree with everything you've said and referenced here. I was just hoping you were willing to admit that both parties share historically in all of this.
Last edited by DColeKC on Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Well you've trashed the entire republican party and called my "centrist" view "garbage", so that narrows things down somewhat. I won't tell you anything about yourself, just making judgements based off of your replies in this thread.