COVID19

Come here to talk about topics that are not related to development, or even Kansas City.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Re: COVID19

Post by TheLastGentleman »

flyingember wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 9:22 amIt literally says that's why it was sold. So they either lied or there's no "might" involved.
The bot is trying its best, don’t bully it
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

It also might try and open some where else and last day is May 29th. Something like Andy's or even like the Hamburger joint that's on Missouri BLVD in Jefferson City that's the size of the building their now.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

That's a heck of a comparison, a building halfway across the state
kas1
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by kas1 »

Metro area stats:

Amid all of the bad news, Kansas City has been a success story: politicians listened to experts and locked down before the problem became visible, people complied, and deaths peaked exactly on schedule at a relatively low level. When reopening the city, it's vital that we continue to listen to scientific consensus and adopt global best practices to keep the virus suppressed. In doing so we not only save lives but also put ourselves on a sustainable path toward something resembling normal life. Despite the good numbers, there are still people getting infected each day and we must continue to be vigilant. Spread the word.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Seems to me that KC is to Coronavirus what STL was to the Spanish Flu. Success stories in keeping total cases and deaths low.

In regards to the 10/10/10 plan, it seems like a good start to me. It's a cautious reopening but it really has to be right now. If new cases and deaths continue to fall, restrictions will be eased accordingly. You have to start somewhere. I hope it goes well.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Austria Has 90% Drop in Coronavirus Cases After Requiring People to Wear Face Masks
https://www.sciencetimes.com/articles/2 ... -masks.htm
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Sweden cases/deaths are decreasing despite never having much of a lockdown...
ttps://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/sweden/

Some attribute it to being a relatively healthier country with relatively higher personal responsibility. Probably not a model for US.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

KC metro forecasted to lose 130K jobs this year, which would be around 15% unemployment...
https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... fects.html
longviewmo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by longviewmo »

Trying to figure out if I'm interpreting these numbers from KDOL wrong, but it looks like over half of the claimants are no longer claiming every week?

kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

I think I would agree with what you are saying.

About half are either getting work quickly or were denied their claim, I'd assume.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Or were temporary furloughs which allow for benefits.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 12:07 pm Seems to me that KC is to Coronavirus what STL was to the Spanish Flu. Success stories in keeping total cases and deaths low.

In regards to the 10/10/10 plan, it seems like a good start to me. It's a cautious reopening but it really has to be right now. If new cases and deaths continue to fall, restrictions will be eased accordingly. You have to start somewhere. I hope it goes well.
I have zero faith that residents will continue taking this seriously. We'll know in a month or two! Also, masks are now partisan.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

DaveKCMO wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 9:10 pm
Chris Stritzel wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 12:07 pm Seems to me that KC is to Coronavirus what STL was to the Spanish Flu. Success stories in keeping total cases and deaths low.

I have zero faith that residents will continue taking this seriously. We'll know in a month or two! Also, masks are now partisan.
Not just masks, belief that this thing is even more than the fucking flu.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Is anyone old enough to remember the flu outbreak in 1968? Killed a million people, its weird we never hear about it, only the Spanish flu. Maybe this one didn't have a big impact on western culture.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hong_Kong_flu

https://www.nationalreview.com/2020/04/ ... -pandemic/
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Is this just another media scare piece? I'm sure there are thousands of researchers with significant findings at Universities all over the world.

Coronavirus researcher killed in murder-suicide https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... e-masthead
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

As states reopen, 8 coronavirus maps help track where new cases are spreading or controlled

https://www.fastcompany.com/90501079/as ... EpCDTxAHVY

This site breaks COVID stats down by county.

https://urbanobservatory.maps.arcgis.co ... 4c16f8c39b
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^That report says 20M change in employment compared to 30M+ jobless claims filed through end of April. Some furloughs started to return last week of April but would be surprising if over 10M. But it does show that it's not just service industry impacted. It's many industries.