Politics

Come here to talk about topics that are not related to development, or even Kansas City.
User avatar
DColeKC
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower
Posts: 1086
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:50 am

Re: Politics

Post by DColeKC »

grovester wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:36 pm
DColeKC wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:58 pm
DaveKCMO wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:38 pm


Not really. Dems will escort him out. Plenty of talent to replace him. Have you not figured this out yet?
We will see how long it takes a prominent Democrat to call for his resignation. Will his Emmy be yanked? Will someone eat crow for calling him the “gold standard”?

The hypocrisy is on full display here. I think it’s important to compare the Kavenaugh situation to this. So far, it’s not even close to the same coverage or rhetoric.
It would only be hypocritical if the Dems voted Cuomo on to the Supreme Court.
Wait.... were the accusations ever proven against Kavenaugh? Why shouldn’t he have been confirmed?

User avatar
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall
Posts: 15256
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2003 10:02 pm
Location: Old Northeast -- Indian Mound

Re: Politics

Post by FangKC »

You have to remember that the Democrats pushed Al Franken to resign from the Senate.

horizons82
New York Life
New York Life
Posts: 364
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:41 am

Re: Politics

Post by horizons82 »

DColeKC wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:57 pm

I’m aware of some fellow state level Democrats calling for an investigation or his resignation. I said prominent as in famous.
Move those goalposts! They’re a congressional representative, representing hundreds of thousands of people. That qualifies as famous.

If Sharice Davids called on Gov. Kelly to resign or Sam Graves called on Gov. Parson to resign, that’s big news from prominent people.

User avatar
DColeKC
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower
Posts: 1086
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:50 am

Re: Politics

Post by DColeKC »

FangKC wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:34 pm
You have to remember that the Democrats pushed Al Franken to resign from the Senate.
True, but he’s not “cancelled” and will be back in politics before you know it.

Republicans also have a history calling for fellow republicans to resign when credible allegations are made.

User avatar
DColeKC
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower
Posts: 1086
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:50 am

Re: Politics

Post by DColeKC »

horizons82 wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:45 pm
DColeKC wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:57 pm

I’m aware of some fellow state level Democrats calling for an investigation or his resignation. I said prominent as in famous.
Move those goalposts! They’re a congressional representative, representing hundreds of thousands of people. That qualifies as famous.

If Sharice Davids called on Gov. Kelly to resign or Sam Graves called on Gov. Parson to resign, that’s big news from prominent people.
I said prominent which literally means famous. Someone well known on a national level. Kirsten Gillibrand for example would be a big deal. Chuck Schumer would be a major deal.

If Sam Graves called on Parsons to resign, most of the people in Missouri and all the people in the other 49 states would be asking, who the hell is Sam Graves?!

User avatar
TheLastGentleman
Valencia Place
Valencia Place
Posts: 1950
Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:27 pm

Re: Politics

Post by TheLastGentleman »

I, for one, have never heard anything good from anyone about Cuomo

mykn
Supporter
Posts: 605
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:33 pm

Re: Politics

Post by mykn »

I’m glad to see your views on believing victims and holding abusers accountable has changed. I’m glad this is a genuine change and not just naked partisanship, because that would make you the hypocrite, glad it’s not that.

For context, less than a week ago...
DColeKC wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:46 am
These days, I think we have to take the sexual harassment allegations with a grain of salt. I honestly think there are some people who are always looking to be offended. It’s almost a badge of honor to say your boss harassed you. I’m not saying it’s ok or that it doesn’t happen. It does and everyone should feel safe in their workplace.
For the record, Cuomo should face worse penalties than just resigning.

mykn
Supporter
Posts: 605
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:33 pm

Re: Politics

Post by mykn »

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... llegations

He needs to be sent to the gulag (in Minecraft)

User avatar
DColeKC
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower
Posts: 1086
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:50 am

Re: Politics

Post by DColeKC »

mykn wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:43 am
I’m glad to see your views on believing victims and holding abusers accountable has changed. I’m glad this is a genuine change and not just naked partisanship, because that would make you the hypocrite, glad it’s not that.

For context, less than a week ago...
DColeKC wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:46 am
These days, I think we have to take the sexual harassment allegations with a grain of salt. I honestly think there are some people who are always looking to be offended. It’s almost a badge of honor to say your boss harassed you. I’m not saying it’s ok or that it doesn’t happen. It does and everyone should feel safe in their workplace.
For the record, Cuomo should face worse penalties than just resigning.
I think you misunderstood my stance on sexual harassment and believing victims. Or, more likely, I did a piss poor job explaining what I was trying to say. Looking back at that comment, it was far too broad. I think all credible sources should be heard just as I think anyone accused should have their right to defend themselves.

I do have an issue with what happens to those falsely accused though. I’m not sure what percentage of accusations are false, but these days it’s nearly impossible to come back from that. Even if you’re not fired, some people will always believe it. The fact I worry about this shouldn’t mean I don’t care and want justice for those who are harassed or assaulted.

It’s almost to the point where we all need body cameras 24/7 which is scary and sad.

mykn
Supporter
Posts: 605
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:33 pm

Re: Politics

Post by mykn »

lol, no, I dont think I misunderstood at all, you were pretty damn clear what you thought, especially after multiple people called you out and you had a hissy fit about how sensitive we all were.

flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower
Posts: 9065
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:54 am

Re: Politics

Post by flyingember »

DColeKC wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:10 am

Or, more likely, I did a piss poor job explaining what I was trying to say.
No, no you didn't

flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower
Posts: 9065
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:54 am

Re: Politics

Post by flyingember »

Chris Stritzel wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 7:15 pm
All of this said, I think 2040 would be a year to look at for phasing out gas powered car sales. 19 years of innovation can get us very far and convince Americans to switch over. I doubt gas will fully go away.
20 years is dramatically over estimating how fast people will replace their vehicles.

The current replacement rate is about 6% of cars annually in the US. That's 16 years for functional full replacement.

Most cars sold aren't electric, with 1% uptake today, and GM is one of the first to even announce a plan to want to replace PART of their models (all vehicles below a certain weight) with only electric vehicles within the next 15 years. It could take them 20 years

2040 is the point at which is becomes realistic to expect ~30% of sales as electric cars.

Outlawing gas vehicle sales is closer to 50 years out.

The big problem isn't the availability of cars, it's the charging aspect. Every commercial parking lot needs multiple chargers installed. Everyone who parks on street will expect access to charge from the street. Every home will need them. Every school and office building. That's potentially 1 billion+ chargers. You can say we don't need so many chargers because of distance improvements and speed improvements but the problem is you have hundreds of billions of possible routes. There needs to be chargers basically everywhere there's people going to, coming from or passing by just like with gas stations.

Even with a massive program to pay for them there aren't enough electricians in the country to do the work today. There would quickly be years worth of backlogs. It will take years just to build up the labor force. We added a subpanel earlier this year and I have space earmarked for two car chargers on purpose (moving breakers around) because I saw it coming. The million of houses with 100 amp service will require upgrading. The utility work needed to increase total system amperage is going to be staggering.

A 50 year timeframe is much more realistic with a massive WPA style project

User avatar
DColeKC
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower
Posts: 1086
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:50 am

Re: Politics

Post by DColeKC »

mykn wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:27 am
lol, no, I dont think I misunderstood at all, you were pretty damn clear what you thought, especially after multiple people called you out and you had a hissy fit about how sensitive we all were.
I got defensive and just dug the hole deeper. I was trying to imply there is an major amount of flirtation that takes place in the service industry and some women use this to their advantage only to flip it and claim harassment when it suits them. And yes, some people on here are far too sensitive and don’t allow any speculation of these situations. The fact I just said some women in the industry use flirtation to their advantage will be construed as me saying victims lie or that I don’t believe a woman should feel safe in the workplace.

It’s like it’s not allowed to have a realistic conversation about these complex social issues.

I do regret the “taken with a grain of salt” comment as it implies I meant every accusation should be questioned and that’s not what I wanted to say.

mykn
Supporter
Posts: 605
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:33 pm

Re: Politics

Post by mykn »

Going to need some major proof with the whole "some women use this to their advantage only to flip it and claim harassment when it suits them." thing because I've only ever heard people say this to excuse the actions of predatory people.
DColeKC wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:15 am
And yes, some people on here are far too sensitive and don’t allow any speculation of these situations. The fact I just said some women in the industry use flirtation to their advantage will be construed as me saying victims lie or that I don’t believe a woman should feel safe in the workplace.
Gee, why would people react "far too sensitive" on here when you "did a piss poor job explaining what I was trying to say" and made comments that were "far too broad.".

Sorry dude, you act in bad faith constantly, holding others to standards that you completely violate whenever its convenient. Seriously, if you can afford it, get some therapy because it seems pretty obvious that you've got some shit you need to resolve. I cant imagine it's easy living with such animus on a daily basis. Do it for yourself if not the people who have to be around you.

User avatar
DColeKC
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower
Posts: 1086
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:50 am

Re: Politics

Post by DColeKC »

...
Last edited by DColeKC on Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
DColeKC
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower
Posts: 1086
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:50 am

Re: Politics

Post by DColeKC »

And for clarity. I’m only talking about harassment in the work place... NOT sexual assault where false accusations are incredibly rare.

Our interactions are a classic example of how we’ve got to the point in this country of it being impossible to respectfully discuss anything serious. Unless I just 100% agree with you, you’re going to call me a horrendous human who needs to seek help. It always goes personal with you. And yes I’m aware I took it personal in my last response.

mykn
Supporter
Posts: 605
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:33 pm

Re: Politics

Post by mykn »

Care to repost what you deleted? Kind of hard to respond when you do that.
DColeKC wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:48 am
Our interactions are a classic example of how we’ve got to the point in this country of it being impossible to respectfully discuss anything serious. Unless I just 100% agree with you, you’re going to call me a horrendous human who needs to seek help. It always goes personal with you. And yes I’m aware I took it personal in my last response.
Don't put this on me, I'm not the one downplaying allegations of workplace sexual harassment without evidence and just relying on tropes such as "women are liars". This is 100% on you and your behavior here. It's clear that for you, sexual harassment is a politics game, one week the accusers are all liars, the next week the shock and outrage. It's clear to everyone here you do not give a shit about the victims here, you just want to score points. Get some therapy, learn some empathy.

User avatar
DColeKC
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower
Posts: 1086
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:50 am

Re: Politics

Post by DColeKC »

mykn wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:17 pm
Care to repost what you deleted? Kind of hard to respond when you do that.
DColeKC wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:48 am
Our interactions are a classic example of how we’ve got to the point in this country of it being impossible to respectfully discuss anything serious. Unless I just 100% agree with you, you’re going to call me a horrendous human who needs to seek help. It always goes personal with you. And yes I’m aware I took it personal in my last response.
Don't put this on me, I'm not the one downplaying allegations of workplace sexual harassment without evidence and just relying on tropes such as "women are liars". This is 100% on you and your behavior here. It's clear that for you, sexual harassment is a politics game, one week the accusers are all liars, the next week the shock and outrage. It's clear to everyone here you do not give a shit about the victims here, you just want to score points. Get some therapy, learn some empathy.
I deleted it because I stooped to your pathetic level of judging your character as a human being based off what you say on this forum. You can think what you want of me in this autonomous internet world as it's natural for us to generate some kind of picture based off things said here. However to assume that what I say on this forum, often in a paragraph can be used to determine anything about me in the real world is comical.

You keep making this giant leaps, which is why I say it's impossible for many people with different opinions to discuss these issues IRL. I say that a flirtatious environment where some women utilize their relationships with upper management to benefit them and will quickly turn that around into harassment if it fits their needs. You claim I'm saying, "all women are liars". That's not the case, not at all, but you're so easily triggered that you can't possibly accept the notion that a percentage of accusers (in regards to harassment, NOT assault) are not telling the whole truth.

I think anyone who gets so worked up on an internet forum may be the one who needs some therapy. You claim I lack empathy, which couldn't be further from the truth out here in the real world. I'm not on here in a competitive fashion, so no point scoring is happening on my end. I'm on here, in this "politics" section to debate politics. I apply sexual harassment allegations equally across the political spectrum. It appears you don't, because you want Cuomo hung but seem ok with Biden.

User avatar
grovester
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Posts: 4189
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:30 pm
Location: KC Metro

Re: Politics

Post by grovester »

DColeKC wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:03 pm

... because you want Cuomo hung but seem ok with Biden.
You are fucking hilarious.

Freshly stoked from CPAC, I'd imagine.

I can only guess how many bots are on your social media feeds.

User avatar
DColeKC
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower
Posts: 1086
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:50 am

Re: Politics

Post by DColeKC »

grovester wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:12 pm
DColeKC wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:03 pm

... because you want Cuomo hung but seem ok with Biden.
You are fucking hilarious.

Freshly stoked from CPAC, I'd imagine.

I can only guess how many bots are on your social media feeds.
I'm hilarious? Cuomo's latest accuser is getting attention because he touched her and made her feel uncomfortable. We have dozens of photos of Biden doing the same to..... children. How to do you explain the double standard? I'm not saying Biden is a sexual predator, but creepy perhaps?

What's hilarious is you can't even address the statement, instead you do your regular move, toss out a personal insult and imply I spent last week polishing my guns, waxing my big jacked up truck and drinking busch light while I watched every second of CPAC.

Fuckin clown.

Post Reply