Politics

Come here to talk about topics that are not related to development, or even Kansas City.
DColeKC
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts
Posts: 524
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:50 am

Re: Politics

Post by DColeKC »

phuqueue wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:22 pm
DColeKC wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:31 am
Took a few days to reflect on this before commenting because unlike what was mentioned, I do take politics very seriously which is why I get heated. As someone struggling to decide what to do with my vote, everything factors into that decision. I have many friends and family members who are Trump supporters and none of them are hardcore Christians, anti-abortion or blind followers. Most of them live in rural communities and some Lifelong city dwellers like to assume all rural folk are uneducated and Trump flag flying conservatives. About the only thing true about that assumption is the conservative part. So when I see people try to toss all Trump supporters into this stereotype I feel my vote pull towards Trump.
Yes, we have already discussed that your choices are informed by spite.
Despite all the rhetoric and constant doomsday implications some say will happen if Trump wins, I don’t honestly think it will be that bad and I do think some good can be done. I also think if he loses it could be a good opportunity for the republicans to regroup.
It won't be that bad for whom?
With all that’s currently going on with civil unrest, I am truly nervous about having Biden as potus. He’s not going to be able to suddenly “unify” the country. Obama couldn’t do it but Biden will? The defund and decertify the police movement is mostly insane. I do see a value in what some of the defund the police concept means, but that’s not something you do by shifting millions of dollars from one budget to the other in a single year.
So if Biden is pres and the country is not unified, that is Biden's fault. Trump is already pres and the country is not unified, but that is the fault of the people who don't like Trump. There seems to be a pattern emerging here.
These protests and riots are getting more and more dangerous. Residential areas were once off limits but now being targeted. You have violent idiots (white and black) who are ruining any chance of the message being heard.
The message has already been heard, but a lot of white people don't like what they're hearing -- and have shown little inclination to reflect on that.
So yes, everything plays into my vote, even these conversations on a forum. One comment said they’re not really worried about my vote because 1 vote doesn’t matter. What you don’t understand is there are hundreds of thousands like me. 77% of those who identify as republican are afraid to discuss politics or admit they vote for Trump. I have been saying it for years. The constant negativity towards Trump supporters over the last 3.5 years has just emboldened them and added to his base.
77% of Republicans are afraid to admit they voted for Trump but they're also emboldened?
2 months ago I thought Biden had this. Now I think it’s going to be very close and every single vote does matter.
Trump will probably lose the popular vote and win the electoral college again. The margin in the closest states might be on the order of a few tens of thousands, as it was four years ago. I guess you could (generously) claim that "every single vote" matters in those states. Do you live in one of them? If not then I still don't care who you vote for. You clearly want to go for Trump, so just go be your truest self my dude.
Not out of spite, but possibly in defense of some. Obviously this wouldn't be the sole reason and certainly not an uneducated vote.

Biden doesn't have a magic wand. Obama didn't unify the country and Biden won't put the flames out either. I can't imagine it being all that bad for anyone, but I'm sure you're going to hit back with some generic democratic talking points about minorities and the LGBTQ community.

If Biden wins and the country isn't unified, it's not his fault. It wouldn't be his fault if he couldn't unify it either, but there's a possibility he will not help but hurt the situation while also hurting the economy.

What "white people" don't like what they're hearing? I don't know any white people who don't agree that Black Lives Mater but they may not like the BLM organization.

77% of republicans are afraid to discuss politics or admit who they voted for out of fear of being called out, violated, losing their job etc. By emboldened, I mean emboldened to vote for him again, even though they won't admit they did. They don't want to be scared into voting for someone else.

phuqueue
Penntower
Penntower
Posts: 2414
Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2005 10:33 pm

Re: Politics

Post by phuqueue »

Not out of spite, but possibly in defense of some. Obviously this wouldn't be the sole reason and certainly not an uneducated vote.
You literally said spite before, it was your own word that you chose. But whether your vote is to spite the meanies or show solidarity with their, uh, "victims," in any case it shows a pretty profound lack of understanding of what politics actually is, which is, well, I already said it once before, so why type it out all over again: "the raw exercise of power in which real people's lives actually hang in the balance." You said in your other post that you "take politics very seriously," and I don't doubt that you feel that way, but the problem is that you take politics seriously the way I take the Royals seriously, which is the wrong kind of "seriously" here (fun fact: apparently fully 34.55% of my posts on this board have been made in the GO ROYALS thread alone, and man oh man have they been aging poorly).
Biden doesn't have a magic wand. Obama didn't unify the country and Biden won't put the flames out either. I can't imagine it being all that bad for anyone, but I'm sure you're going to hit back with some generic democratic talking points about minorities and the LGBTQ community.

If Biden wins and the country isn't unified, it's not his fault. It wouldn't be his fault if he couldn't unify it either, but there's a possibility he will not help but hurt the situation while also hurting the economy.
I don't understand what the point is of talking about "unifying the country" when there is no candidate on the ballot (and likely no person in the world) who can do so. There are so many real reasons that Biden is terrible, it's weird to harp on a totally fake one. I guess for what it's worth, I do agree that Biden will probably hurt the economy (oh noooooo, not the precious economy, it has always been so good to us), but only because Democrats are better at being Republicans than Republicans are.
What "white people" don't like what they're hearing? I don't know any white people who don't agree that Black Lives Mater but they may not like the BLM organization.
I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season." Shallow understanding from people of good will is more frustrating than absolute misunderstanding from people of ill will. Lukewarm acceptance is much more bewildering than outright rejection.
77% of republicans are afraid to discuss politics or admit who they voted for out of fear of being called out, violated, losing their job etc. By emboldened, I mean emboldened to vote for him again, even though they won't admit they did. They don't want to be scared into voting for someone else.
If 77% of Republicans are ashamed of voting for him or otherwise afraid to admit that they did then I would say we are trending in the right direction.

User avatar
grovester
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Posts: 4114
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:30 pm
Location: KC Metro

Re: Politics

Post by grovester »

Hope we don't have any more posts about Biden's "dementia".

Thanks in advance.

User avatar
Major KC Fan
Pad site
Pad site
Posts: 83
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:20 pm

Re: Politics

Post by Major KC Fan »

Agree completely! A heartfelt conversation with viewers.

DColeKC
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts
Posts: 524
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:50 am

Re: Politics

Post by DColeKC »

grovester wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:16 pm
Hope we don't have any more posts about Biden's "dementia".

Thanks in advance.
Reading a script doesn't suddenly squash the cognitive issue. His best chance to squash it will be the debates. Great speech though.

Riverite
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts
Posts: 526
Joined: Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:49 pm

Re: Politics

Post by Riverite »

DColeKC wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:07 pm
grovester wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:16 pm
Hope we don't have any more posts about Biden's "dementia".

Thanks in advance.
Reading a script doesn't suddenly squash the cognitive issue. His best chance to squash it will be the debates. Great speech though.
I’m not sure I’ve ever seen trump successfully read off a teleprompter.

DColeKC
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts
Posts: 524
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:50 am

Re: Politics

Post by DColeKC »

Riverite wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:13 pm
DColeKC wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:07 pm
grovester wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:16 pm
Hope we don't have any more posts about Biden's "dementia".

Thanks in advance.
Reading a script doesn't suddenly squash the cognitive issue. His best chance to squash it will be the debates. Great speech though.
I’m not sure I’ve ever seen trump successfully read off a teleprompter.
Trump is a terrible public speaker. Can't argue that.

DColeKC
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts
Posts: 524
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:50 am

Re: Politics

Post by DColeKC »

Hypothetical here. If Biden is defeated and Trump gets another term. Who will be the Democratic and republican candidates for 2024?

brewcrew1000
Broadway Square
Broadway Square
Posts: 2783
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:10 am
Location: Broadway/Gilham according to google maps

Re: Politics

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Probably more of the same crap that won't appeal to progressives.

DColeKC
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts
Posts: 524
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:50 am

Re: Politics

Post by DColeKC »

brewcrew1000 wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:58 am
Probably more of the same crap that won't appeal to progressives.
Probably. I like the idea of Daniel Cameron running up the republican ranks. Not sure he has the experience yet but I think he’s going to be a big player in the Republican Party one day. No clue on the Democrats side.

User avatar
FangKC
City Center Square
City Center Square
Posts: 14831
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2003 10:02 pm
Location: Old Northeast -- Indian Mound

Re: Politics

Post by FangKC »

Nikki Haley. Mike Pence, Greg Abbott for the GOP. Possibly Donald Trump Jr., or Ivana Trump if they aren't convicted of a felony before then. Trump children are not a stretch seeing that a good portion of the GOP is now the Trump wing; For the Dems, Andrew Cuomo, Kamala Harris, Gavin Newsom, or Gretchen Whitmer.

Chris Stritzel
New York Life
New York Life
Posts: 454
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:27 pm

Re: Politics

Post by Chris Stritzel »

DColeKC wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:51 am
Hypothetical here. If Biden is defeated and Trump gets another term. Who will be the Democratic and republican candidates for 2024?
Democrats...
- Pete Buttigieg
- Kamala Harris
- Andrew Cuomo
- Gretchen Whitmer
- Tammy Duckworth
- Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Republicans
- Mike Pence
- Nikki Haley
- Mike Pompeo
- Tom Cotton
- Josh Hawley
- Ron DeSantis
- Ted Cruz
- Kristi Noem

Libertarian...
- Justin Amash (he missed out this time so... yea)

Those are my ideas for what 2024 could look like.

mykn
Supporter
Posts: 575
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:33 pm

Re: Politics

Post by mykn »

DColeKC wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:31 am
I can't imagine it being all that bad for anyone, but I'm sure you're going to hit back with some generic democratic talking points about minorities and the LGBTQ community.
Yea fuck the blacks and the queers, they aren't people anyway, am i right guys?

DColeKC
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts
Posts: 524
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:50 am

Re: Politics

Post by DColeKC »

mykn wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:27 am
DColeKC wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:31 am
I can't imagine it being all that bad for anyone, but I'm sure you're going to hit back with some generic democratic talking points about minorities and the LGBTQ community.
Yea fuck the blacks and the queers, they aren't people anyway, am i right guys?
Yeah..... not what I said at all.

User avatar
TheLastGentleman
Valencia Place
Valencia Place
Posts: 1746
Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:27 pm

Re: Politics

Post by TheLastGentleman »

DColeKC wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:48 am
Yeah..... not what I said at all.
What did you say

DColeKC
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts
Posts: 524
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:50 am

Re: Politics

Post by DColeKC »

TheLastGentleman wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:21 am
DColeKC wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:48 am
Yeah..... not what I said at all.
What did you say
"Biden doesn't have a magic wand. Obama didn't unify the country and Biden won't put the flames out either. I can't imagine it being all that bad for anyone, but I'm sure you're going to hit back with some generic democratic talking points about minorities and the LGBTQ community."

This was almost a month ago, thought we had moved on from that but someone was playing catchup.

My point is the democratic party has continuously been the party of minorities and LGBTQ rights, but how has that actually worked out for those groups? African Americans hitched themselves to the party because in 1964 and 1965 the civil rights and voting rights acts were passed by a democratic President. By default, over the last 60 years they've voted democratic regardless. What has that done for them? We still have racial division and inner city poverty. Obama was supposed to be the unifier and while he wasn't a bad president, he certainly didn't help race relations in this country.

So I don't see why more minorities want to try something else. Same for the LGBTQ community, which has seen an increase in support for Trump over the last few years.

How someone would take my comments as "fuck the blacks and queers" is beyond me, but I'm not surprised in today's world.

DColeKC
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts
Posts: 524
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:50 am

Re: Politics

Post by DColeKC »

And now they're just expected to vote for Biden/Harris because if they don't, "They ain't black". Biden and Harris have atrocious records on imprisoning young black men.

User avatar
TheLastGentleman
Valencia Place
Valencia Place
Posts: 1746
Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:27 pm

Re: Politics

Post by TheLastGentleman »

DColeKC wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:12 pm
And now they're just expected to vote for Biden/Harris because if they don't, "They ain't black". Biden and Harris have atrocious records on imprisoning young black men.
It’s almost like we need candidates that are actually progressive or something

phuqueue
Penntower
Penntower
Posts: 2414
Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2005 10:33 pm

Re: Politics

Post by phuqueue »

You "can't imagine it being all that bad for anyone," but something like 90% of black people clearly imagined that Trump was worse for them in 2016, and a similar proportion are currently polling in favor of Biden. Maybe you ought to just admit that they might know something about their own circumstances that you don't? That Biden and Harris are terrible is true but not the point. These are the options that our broken-by-design system have puked up for us. Biden and Harris don't have to be good, they just have to be better than the alternative. And if you don't understand why other people who have had lived experiences vastly different from yours might see them as being better than Trump, you could consider that that might say more about you than it does about them. Or do you wanna just keep trying to crack this nut with all the vast accumulated expertise that your however many years on this planet as a white guy have afforded you?

DColeKC
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts
Posts: 524
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:50 am

Re: Politics

Post by DColeKC »

phuqueue wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:54 pm
You "can't imagine it being all that bad for anyone," but something like 90% of black people clearly imagined that Trump was worse for them in 2016, and a similar proportion are currently polling in favor of Biden. Maybe you ought to just admit that they might know something about their own circumstances that you don't? That Biden and Harris are terrible is true but not the point. These are the options that our broken-by-design system have puked up for us. Biden and Harris don't have to be good, they just have to be better than the alternative. And if you don't understand why other people who have had lived experiences vastly different from yours might see them as being better than Trump, you could consider that that might say more about you than it does about them. Or do you wanna just keep trying to crack this nut with all the vast accumulated expertise that your however many years on this planet as a white guy have afforded you?
First of all, you know what race I am? I don't remember ever mentioning my race but I'm guessing because I'm not a flat out Biden supporter or Democrat, I can only be a white male correct?

You're kind of making my point. 90% of the black population who vote have voted democrat for almost 60 years. I don't think they know what's best for them despite a growing number of young black republicans who are spreading the message that there is in fact, another option. The democrats have had the black vote in their pocket for decades and have mainly only delivered failed promises, mass incarceration and a major welfare state. Not to mention helped facilitate the epidemic known as fatherless homes amongst the black community. The black community is so indoctrinated to vote democrat, that anytime a black person is openly conservative, they're called Uncle Tom's. Similar to how an openly gay republican is looked down upon by people in their own community.

Black Americans don't know what the other side has to offer.

Post Reply