Politics

Come here to talk about topics that are not related to development, or even Kansas City.
WSPanic
Supporter

Re: Politics

Post by WSPanic »

What rally is that for?
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

This was kind of funny

https://youtu.be/JDlguuL0yEs?t=134
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

WSPanic wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:50 pm What rally is that for?
The Photoshop Meme Rally 2020.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Biden's significant rise is unexpected. Buttigieg and Klobuchar pulling out and endorsing Biden early obviously helped but also apparently not enough young and Latino voters showed up. Sanders was expected to take TX. Biden taking Mass is a shocker, with Warren losing home state will she pull out and help Sanders even though she said she's in all the way? If Bloomberg pulls out, Biden might dominate. Sanders appears to have less chance if young and Latino voters don't show up - his main base. Stock market appears to be happy with Biden, futures rose quite a bit when he took Mass and then TX.

Would think MO will go Biden in DEM primary, and most of Midwest.
Last edited by earthling on Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
mykn

Post by mykn »

Welp, I guess we’re getting another 4 years of trump.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

I like Bernie and his take on wall Street and how he avoids false flag issues like gun rights and abortion but he just repeats the same thing in all his debates and speeches. I kind of wish he didn't start with these super great ideas that will cost a ton but kind of has a poor plan. Why not start small like lowering drug prices then make grand plans later.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

mykn wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:22 am Welp, I guess we’re getting another 4 years of trump.
That was my unfortunate instinct as well: repeat of 2016. Smells awful, and awfully familiar.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Biden typically shows higher chance to beat Trump than Sanders. But it all depends on who shows up to vote in the purple states.
https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epoll ... _election/

With Biden signs of apparent dementia, his VP pick will be very important.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

I feel like the primary process sucks. The red States should have less weight cause they are not going to turn blue anyway. I wish they had rank choice voting for the primaries
mykn

Post by mykn »

I was fairly certain that Trump was going to win re-election anyway (I've had $50 bucks on it for a couple years now) but this seals the deal to me. Hillary was a far better candidate than Biden IMO, and that's saying something.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Dementia seems a bit strong. He's been saying ridiculous shit and making monstrous gaffes and creepily hugging people for his entire career.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^However so does Trump (fell 'in love with' KJU, who tortures his own people) yet has strong followers. It really just depends on who shows up in Nov and what events are hot at the time. Biden has a shot depending on VP pick. No way to call it either way.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Bloomberg just quit race and endorses Biden. If Warren doesn't do the same, Biden more likely in. Expect momentum will build with DEMs thinking that Biden can more likely beat Trump than Sanders.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

I like this tweet from back in December

Al Gore lost in 2000 as a centrist.

John Kerry lost in 2004 as a centrist.

Obama won in 2008 posturing as a progressive. (But then lost both houses of Congress after being exposed as a centrist)

Hillary lost in 2016 as a centrist.

The Dems need to begin abandoning centrism
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Apparently the progressives weren't showing up enough to save Bernie in states that were thought to be his. If progressives want a candidate, they have to show up in primaries. There may be more out there than establishment voters but they must show up. Enough didn't in TX or Mass. And if progressives don't want Trump, they'll need to show up to vote establishment.

Biden wants Michelle for VP. Seemed unlikely up until now depending on what she thinks of his momentum. Would think his pick will be progressive leaning woman based on his comments.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

To be fair, it's pretty demotivating when it looks like the establishment is aligning against your guy again because he dares to suggest we might be able to get people healthcare and educations. What a radical!
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Many reports say young voters sat out the primaries so far. Gotta start the blame there given young and Latino are most of Bernie's base. And Warren could choose to align with Bernie. Will she?
Critical_Mass
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Critical_Mass »

mykn wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:22 am Welp, I guess we’re getting another 4 years of trump.
No, Sanders isn't going to get the Dem nomination
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Bernie hasn't delivered on his promise to bring along more, newer voters, it's still just his base. The numbers show him LESS popular than 2016.

If the Dems want to win they need to replicate what happened in 2018 and improve on what happened in 2016. Doesn't matter that Hillary was the "better" candidate, it's not a meritocracy it's a popularity contest.

They need a high female and African American turn out, neither of which is Bernie's strong point.

I'm voting for whichever Dem is nominated, as should any sane person.
Critical_Mass
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Critical_Mass »

grovester wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:39 am Bernie hasn't delivered on his promise to bring along more, newer voters, it's still just his base. The numbers show him LESS popular than 2016.

If the Dems want to win they need to replicate what happened in 2018 and improve on what happened in 2016. Doesn't matter that Hillary was the "better" candidate, it's not a meritocracy it's a popularity contest.

They need a high female and African American turn out, neither of which is Bernie's strong point.

I'm voting for whichever Dem is nominated, as should any sane person.
Spot on. People did turn out to vote. They're just not voting for Bernie. He lost MN and OK which he won in 2016.

Also:
Turnout in Virginia really did surge: there were 780,000 voters in 2016, 1.3 million people showed up on Tuesday.

But that surge of people wasn’t for Bernie. Even with turnout almost doubled, Sanders only picked up an extra 30,000 votes over his 2016 figure. Almost as many people voted for Biden in 2020 as voted—total—in 2016.
https://thebulwark.com/bidenmania-is-running-wild/